auto-stretching in IE

saz

Thanks for clearing that up Jonathan

This makes a lot more sense now =) I immidiatly checked my script,
activated application/xhtml+xml and now I see IE doesn't parse it. I
really thought I had it like that before, but it now seems I didn't.
Sorry spartanicus for missing that, but I think I just needed a better
explanation.

I tried out both text/xml and application/xml. Firefox renders them
fine, but IE rambles about dtd problems.

So what does this mean. There is no way to use XHTML1.1 in a browser?
This means
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/xhtml-media-types.xhtml#summary
(which also uses XHTML1.1 markup) is not valid (since it is served as
text/html).

If I'm correct I can change to XHTML 1.0 (HTML compatible). Just to be
sure, can I still use strict?

Thanks for pointing this out. I will give it a shot and hope it will
also fix my original problem

Evert
But why use XHTML at all? What you are trying to achieve is easily
accomplished with HTML, and will render properly in IE.