Autocomplete (Code Completion) for Ruby in OS X's Textmate or Other

phil.devor

Hi,

Is there a way to add autocomplete functionality within Textmate for
Ruby files?

If not, what the best editor or IDE for Ruby on OS X that supports
autocomplete?

Thanks,
~Phil

John Joyce

It's in there, but TextMate doesn't have the auto-complete like in MS
Visual Studio or XCode.
It uses an Emacs style.
For different language bundles you can type a shortcut and press TAB
or a keboard shortcut for other things.
For text completion, ESC will complete a word if you have already
typed it once before in the file. Pressing ESC again will start to
cycle through any other possible completions.

To learn more about TextMate, check out the wiki on the TM site or
get the book from Pragmatic Programmers!

You can also customize shortcuts for any bundle in TM. For example,
sometimes there is a menu item in a bundle with no shortcut. (for C+
+/ C compiling, is one.) so you can add the thing that makes most
sense. ( I added command-R to compile my C/C++ files)

Roger Pack

unknown said:
Hi,

Is there a way to add autocomplete functionality within Textmate for
Ruby files?

In TM start the function then hit 'esc'
Others that I know of that work are radrails, maybe some other competing
eclipse plugins. There's probably more out there.
GL.
-Roger

Giles Bowkett

Is there a way to add autocomplete functionality within Textmate for
In TM start the function then hit 'esc'
Others that I know of that work are radrails, maybe some other competing
eclipse plugins. There's probably more out there.
GL.

TextMate provides autocompletion for common tasks but it doesn't check
the system for syntax correctness or anything like that. Ruby is too
dynamic for true IDE-style autocompletion without serious work on the
IDE-maker's end, but I'm pretty sure JRuby will result in some
autocompletion support in the near future.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

Phrogz

TextMate provides autocompletion for common tasks but it doesn't check
the system for syntax correctness or anything like that. Ruby is too
dynamic for true IDE-style autocompletion without serious work on the
IDE-maker's end, but I'm pretty sure JRuby will result in some
autocompletion support in the near future.

Steve Yegge recently wrote:

"The second difficulty with the IDE perspective is that Java-style
IDEs intrinsically create a circular problem. The circularity stems
from the nature of programming languages: the "game piece" shapes are
determined by the language's static type system. Java's game pieces
don't permit code elimination because Java's static type system
doesn't have any compression facilities - no macros, no lambdas, no
declarative data structures, no templates, nothing that would permit
the removal of the copy-and-paste duplication patterns that Java
programmers think of as "inevitable boilerplate", but which are in
fact easily factored out in dynamic languages.

Completing the circle, dynamic features make it more difficult for
IDEs to work their static code-base-management magic. IDEs don't work
as well with dynamic code features, so IDEs are responsible for
encouraging the use of languages that require... IDEs. Ouch."

Source: http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/12/codes-worst-enemy.html