Autocomplete Extender

Juan Romero

Hi guys,

I have an ajax autocomplete extender working fine but I would like to
populate the textbox with a different value from what the user selects. For
example:

User selects "CODE - Description of CODE here".
Textbox gets "CODE" only, not "CODE - Description of CODE here".

Thank you in advance!

Lloyd Sheen

Juan Romero said:
Hi guys,

I have an ajax autocomplete extender working fine but I would like to
populate the textbox with a different value from what the user selects.
For example:

User selects "CODE - Description of CODE here".
Textbox gets "CODE" only, not "CODE - Description of CODE here".

Thank you in advance!

The way that is normally done in a dropdown is to have a "Text" value which
is displayed and a "Value" value which holds the text to be used. You would
have to get the source (available) for the toolkit and change the logic
since the webservice routine that is used returns a simple array of strings.
You would need an array of objects that contain a text/value pair.

I looked into the code but this is the first time I have looked at the code
for the extenders and my Javascript is not that great.

LS

Juan Romero

Thank you Lloyd.

I did the same thing and my Javascript is not that great either, lol....

Anyways for anyone else out there looking for this, I just found out that a
new version of the AjaxControlToolkit was just released a few days ago and
it includes a change to the AutoComplete to address this situation.
Basically, you are now able to pass key/value pairs. They still get passed
as a string but you can work with them through the OnClientItemSelected
event. Check it out!

Lloyd Sheen

Juan Romero said:
Thank you Lloyd.

I did the same thing and my Javascript is not that great either, lol....

Anyways for anyone else out there looking for this, I just found out that
a new version of the AjaxControlToolkit was just released a few days ago
and it includes a change to the AutoComplete to address this situation.
Basically, you are now able to pass key/value pairs. They still get passed
as a string but you can work with them through the OnClientItemSelected
event. Check it out!

Do you know which version that is. I updated about a couple of weeks ago so
I may already have this version and should give it a try.

LS