    the form or input control. But, this is not XHTML compliant. Does anyone
    know how to disable this in a XHTML compliant manner?

    Amil

    Amil Hanish, Sep 4, 2007

  2. Hello Amil,

    > I have a school test site where students enter answers. I want to
    > disable the auto complete feature. You can do this for IE via
    > autocomplete=off to the form or input control. But, this is not XHTML
    > compliant. Does anyone know how to disable this in a XHTML compliant
    > manner?
    >
    > Amil

    Most of these features can also be controlled by a meta tag or a meta server
    header. Not in this case it seems.

    Microsoft documents the autocomplete feature here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/forms/autocomplete_ovr.asp

    If you want to stay xhtml compliant, then a solution using Javascript is
    probably the easiest solution. Just set the autocomplete property of the
    form or the input to off using script, and your HTML will still validate.
    http://chrisholland.blogspot.com/2004/11/banks-protect-privacy-disable.html

    On the other hand, you could also ignore the warning.

    As side note, Firefox does not honour the autocomplete=off tag in all versions.
    They do however now recommend to deviate from the xhtml standard and use
    the IE tag.
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/doc..._Autocompletion#Original_Document_Information

    --
    Jesse Houwing