autoconf macros and distutils

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Asbach, Mar 1, 2004.

    Hi Python-Pros,

    I'm working on a project using an embedded and extended python
    interpreter. We use autoconf/automake/libtool and have our own autoconf
    macros for detecting a python installation. Everythings works fine under
    traditional UNIX, but since we're trying to port to other platforms like
    Mac OS or Windows, we are in trouble.

    My question is: how can I find out, which compiler and linker options
    are necessary to build a custom python interpreter?

    On Mac OS X for example, I need to link with "-framework Python", on
    traditional Unix (i.e. "non-framework-builds" of python) I have to use
    "-L /usr/local/lib/python2.3/config -lpython2.3" instead. I'm shure that
    there will be some config variables available through the distutils
    package that give the information needed, but I couldn't find
    appropriate documentation on this.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,

    Mark (python newbie)

    P.S.: Any working autoconf m4 macros for embedding python out there?