    1. Am I correct? If so, if the AutoEventWireup property is true, why does it create two treeview in my user control?

    2. If I set the AutoEventWireup property to false, what issues/problems will this cause (if any)? And, what else do I need to do to make sure my user control works correctly?

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Guy Lafleur, Apr 6, 2004

  2. From ASP.NET Server Control Event Model (help file)
    If you do set AutoEventWireup to true, Visual Studio will generate code to bind the events and the page framework will automatically call events based on their names. This can result in the same event code being called twice when the page runs. As a consequence, you should always leave AutoEventWireup set to false when working in Visual Studio.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!
    I have a user control that builds a treeview dynamically in the Page_Load event. Also, I have the AutoEventWireup property set to true (i.e., <%@ Control AutoEventWireup="true" %>). Then, when I 'run' the application, I get two treeviews instead of one. I'm thinking this is because of the AutoEventWireup property being set to true.

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP], Apr 7, 2004

  3. Guy Lafleur

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    This is straight from docs:

    "
    The ASP.NET page framework also supports an automatic way to associate page
    events and methods. If the AutoEventWireup attribute of the Page directive
    is set to true (or if it is missing, since by default it is true), the page
    framework calls page events automatically, specifically the Page_Init and
    Page_Load methods. In that case, no explicit Handles clause or delegate is
    needed.
    The disadvantage of the AutoEventWireup attribute is that it requires that
    the page event handlers have specific, predictable names. This limits your
    flexibility in how you name your event handlers.
    "

    So to speak, if you have AutoEventWiureUp="true" as well as manually
    attached Page_Load method to handle Load event, it gets called twice
    (actually handling the event and second via the automatic event wiring
    basedf on event name). If you create yout TreeView dynamically in Page_Load
    and method gets called twice, result is as you described.
    --
    Teemu Keiski
    http://blogs.aspadvice.com/joteke

    Teemu Keiski, Apr 8, 2004