Autoloading objects — Ruby equivalent for PHP5 "__autoload

Naum T.

Does there exist a Ruby equivalent to PHP5 "magic" __autoload method
that spares the developer from detailing a list of "require" statements?
http://us2.php.net/autoload

Or is this something that a homebrewed solution is necessary? Like
catching the exception and testing for file existence, etc.… or is there
a gem/extension featuring this functionality?

Marcin Mielżyński

Naum said:
Does there exist a Ruby equivalent to PHP5 "magic" __autoload method
that spares the developer from detailing a list of "require" statements?
http://us2.php.net/autoload

Or is this something that a homebrewed solution is necessary? Like
catching the exception and testing for file existence, etc.… or is there
a gem/extension featuring this functionality?

Sure there is ;D

Kernel#autoload:
http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Kernel.html#M002963

and:

Module#autoload:
http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Module.html#M001061

lopex

Mat Schaffer

Does there exist a Ruby equivalent to PHP5 "magic" __autoload method
that spares the developer from detailing a list of "require" =20
statements?
http://us2.php.net/autoload

Or is this something that a homebrewed solution is necessary? Like
catching the exception and testing for file existence, etc.=85 or is =20=
there
a gem/extension featuring this functionality?

const_missing is a little more like PHP's __autoload function.

The following, for example will attempt to just do: require <object =20
name> in the event it can't find the class.

def Object.const_missing name
require name.to_s.downcase
const_get(name)
end

I've never used it though, so anyone can feel free to correct me for =20
any gotchas that I'm not aware of.
-Mat=

Alex Young

Marcin said:
That's not quite it. You need to call Module.autoload yourself. PHP's
autoload is called by the interpreter to perform the inclusion. You
could use const_missing to get a similar functionality, though...

def Object.const_missing(name)
load name.to_lower + ".rb"
end

That's got a few rough edges, though, to put it mildly...

Alex Young

Alex Young wrote:
def Object.const_missing(name)
load name.to_lower + ".rb"
end

That's got a few rough edges, though, to put it mildly...
I mean, besides the fact that it won't work, unlike Mat's. Should have
tested that one...

Naum T.

That's seems to be the ticket.

Knew about ruby autoload, but you have to specify up front each
module/file whereis PHP5, it's (but named "__autoload") a "catch all".

One solution is to glob the directory (where I have my classes stored)
and issue autoload for each result:

# assumes my custom classes begin with upper case
Dir.glob('[A-Z]*.rb').each do |f|
rsym = f.gsub("[.]rb$", '')
autoload:)#{rsym}, f)
end

Matthew Harris

You would probably want to use some metaprogramming to define
const_missing recursively on currently defined constants, and then
it's pretty much the same as PHP's __autoload().

Gonzalo Garramuno

Naum T. escribió:
Does there exist a Ruby equivalent to PHP5 "magic" __autoload method
that spares the developer from detailing a list of "require" statements?
http://us2.php.net/autoload

Or is this something that a homebrewed solution is necessary? Like
catching the exception and testing for file existence, etc.… or is there
a gem/extension featuring this functionality?

def Object.const_missing elem
require elem.to_s
end

a = A.new

PS. I would advise *NOT* doing this kind of thing, thou. It can make
your code much harder to debug for other developers.

Mat Schaffer

Naum T. escribi=F3:

def Object.const_missing elem
require elem.to_s
end

a =3D A.new

PS. I would advise *NOT* doing this kind of thing, thou. It can make
your code much harder to debug for other developers.

you need
def Object.const_missing elem
require elem.to_s const_get(elem)
end

To make this work, otherwise the 'A' in A.new becomes the return =20
value of 'require elem.to_s'
-Mat=

Matthew Harris

I do hope you know that there's a lot of things in Ruby that makes a
developer's debugging life quite hard, but the point is that it's
convenient to have these sort of solutions.

Naum T. escribi=F3:

def Object.const_missing elem
require elem.to_s
end

a =3D A.new

PS. I would advise *NOT* doing this kind of thing, thou. It can make
your code much harder to debug for other developers.

--=20
Matt

Piotr Biedruna

Mat said:
const_missing is a little more like PHP's __autoload function.

The following, for example will attempt to just do: require <object
name> in the event it can't find the class.

def Object.const_missing name
require name.to_s.downcase
const_get(name)
end

Well, th const_missing sollution does work, but only in scripts called
directly in shell by 'ruby' executable. When using it in script called
in browser i get:

[Tue Mar 20 16:56:49 2007] [error] mod_ruby: error in ruby
[Tue Mar 20 16:56:49 2007] [error] mod_ruby:
/home/services/httpd/html/TRON/ruby/index.rb:11: uninitialized constant
#<Module:0xb6a6ea30>::Test (NameError)
[Tue Mar 20 16:56:49 2007] [error] mod_ruby: from
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:38:in `load'
[Tue Mar 20 16:56:49 2007] [error] mod_ruby: from
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:38:in `handler'

Got apache 2.2 with mod_ruby configured as follows:

LoadModule ruby_module modules/mod_ruby.so

<IfModule mod_ruby.c>

AddType text/html .rb

RubyRequire apache/ruby-run

<Files *.rb>
Options +ExecCGI
SetHandler ruby-object
RubyHandler Apache::RubyRun.instance
</Files>

</IfModule>

What i`ve been trying to get is an equivalent of PHP __autoload()
routine working under both shell execution and apache handler. Know any?

Chris Carter

Mat said:
[...]

ri Kernel.autoload