Automate Perl module

Teresa Jeremy

I'm using ActiveState ActivePerl 5.6 as my helper script for Windows
2K/XP deployment. During OS deployment, I install ActivePerl
automatically using the MSI installer. However, I would like to
automatically install some additional Perl modules so that I can write
computer info back to a mysql database.

The perl -MCPAN -e shell command prompts me for configuration info on
first run. I'd like to use the Perl Package Manager to automate the
installation of additional modules.

Any ideas?

Thanx.
TJ

Bob Walton

Teresa said:
I'm using ActiveState ActivePerl 5.6 as my helper script for Windows
2K/XP deployment. During OS deployment, I install ActivePerl
automatically using the MSI installer. However, I would like to
automatically install some additional Perl modules so that I can write
computer info back to a mysql database.

The perl -MCPAN -e shell command prompts me for configuration info on
first run. I'd like to use the Perl Package Manager to automate the
installation of additional modules. ....
TJ

Maybe I'm missing something, but why can't you just include lines like:

ppm install module-name

in a DOS batch file that runs on your target computer once Perl is up
and going on it?

Or maybe better yet, just prepare a directory on a server with the Perl
configuration you want, and copy it over and fix up the path and
environment variables as desired, with no need to do anything else?
Seems like you're making it way more complicated than it has to be.