    Pitfalls? Any clues appreciated.

    Larry

    , Feb 15, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hello, I have the following situation:
    >
    > - Existing site with about 18,000 cgi pages.
    > - Most pages are data driven (fill out form, submit, get results).
    > Exact results may change from day to day as data get updated.
    > - Some static html mixed in
    > - Many pages require authentication. It is a custom in-house
    > authentication mechanism, but ultimately it stores a temporary session
    > ID in a session cookie.
    >
    > I would like to implement automated testing that will:
    >
    > - Tell me if anything breaks.
    > - Tell me if a new installation of the same overall site is working
    > the same as the original (for an upgrade project).
    > - Tell me if I break anything during maintenance (regression testing)
    >
    > Can anyone give me some pointers on this? Tool? Overall approach?
    > Pitfalls? Any clues appreciated.
    >
    > Larry

    I don't know of any tools that can test in a web application
    environment. The regression testing tool in Unix is expect which is
    command-line only.

    With so many pages, there must be an automated test plan. Otherwise,
    how did the site get so large without detecting and fixing bugs? Or was
    that what your customers are for?

    You can write perl code that uses HTML CPAN libraries to access pages,
    pretending to be a client. Said connection can input information into
    fields, even store cookies for session ID between pages.

    If you don't already have an automated testing environment for your web
    application, it's rather late to start developing one.

    Michael Vilain, Feb 16, 2007

  3. Michael Vilain wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, I have the following situation:
    >>
    >> - Existing site with about 18,000 cgi pages.
    >> - Most pages are data driven (fill out form, submit, get results).
    >> Exact results may change from day to day as data get updated.
    >> - Some static html mixed in
    >> - Many pages require authentication. It is a custom in-house
    >> authentication mechanism, but ultimately it stores a temporary session
    >> ID in a session cookie.
    >>
    >> I would like to implement automated testing that will:
    >>
    >> - Tell me if anything breaks.
    >> - Tell me if a new installation of the same overall site is working
    >> the same as the original (for an upgrade project).
    >> - Tell me if I break anything during maintenance (regression testing)
    >>
    >> Can anyone give me some pointers on this? Tool? Overall approach?
    >> Pitfalls? Any clues appreciated.
    >>
    >> Larry

    > I don't know of any tools that can test in a web application
    > environment. The regression testing tool in Unix is expect which is
    > command-line only.

    I came across Selenium today, which looks rather useful, and has the
    advantage of being able to run tests under various browsers. Also worthy
    of note is jsunit.

    > With so many pages, there must be an automated test plan. Otherwise,
    > how did the site get so large without detecting and fixing bugs? Or was
    > that what your customers are for?
    >
    > You can write perl code that uses HTML CPAN libraries to access pages,
    > pretending to be a client. Said connection can input information into
    > fields, even store cookies for session ID between pages.

    As an addendum to this:

    Test::WWW::Mechanize

    would be my first port of call.

    > If you don't already have an automated testing environment for your web
    > application, it's rather late to start developing one.

    He's probably inherited a large and rather crufty application and wants
    to make sure nothing breaks as he tries to knock it into shape. Best of
    luck :)

    Mark

    Mark Clements, Feb 16, 2007

    > I came across Selenium today, which looks rather useful, and has the
    > advantage of being able to run tests under various browsers. Also worthy
    > of note is jsunit.
    >

    > > With so many pages, there must be an automated test plan. Otherwise,
    > > how did the site get so large without detecting and fixing bugs? Or was
    > > that what your customers are for?

    > > You can write perl code that uses HTML CPAN libraries to access pages,
    > > pretending to be a client. Said connection can input information into
    > > fields, even store cookies for session ID between pages.

    > As an addendum to this:
    >
    > Test::WWW::Mechanize
    >
    > would be my first port of call.
    >

    > > If you don't already have an automated testing environment for your web
    > > application, it's rather late to start developing one.

    > He's probably inherited a large and rather crufty application and wants
    > to make sure nothing breaks as he tries to knock it into shape. Best of
    > luck :)

    Thanks for the tips! I had seen a couple of these tools around, but
    wasn't sure where to start. And yes, you're right, I didn't create
    18,000 pages without a test plan. That was someone else.

    Larry

    , Feb 17, 2007
  5. Larry Guest

    > Thanks for the tips! I had seen a couple of these tools around, but
    > wasn't sure where to start. And yes, you're right, I didn't create
    > 18,000 pages without a test plan. That was someone else.
    >
    > Larry- Hide quoted text -

    First impressions of Selenium:

    WOW
    Small download
    1-click install
    Up and running immediately
    Explanation of command syntax right in the main window
    First test worked perfectly
    Translates tests into perl, java, ruby automatically

    This looks really great, especially that I can create my tests right
    in the browser, then translate to perl or ruby for automation and fine-
    tuning.

    Hats off to the Selenium developers!

    Larry

    Larry, Feb 18, 2007