Automated testing of cgi / perl

Guest

Hello, I have the following situation:

- Existing site with about 18,000 cgi pages.
- Most pages are data driven (fill out form, submit, get results).
Exact results may change from day to day as data get updated.
- Some static html mixed in
- Many pages require authentication. It is a custom in-house
authentication mechanism, but ultimately it stores a temporary session
ID in a session cookie.

I would like to implement automated testing that will:

- Tell me if anything breaks.
- Tell me if a new installation of the same overall site is working
the same as the original (for an upgrade project).
- Tell me if I break anything during maintenance (regression testing)

Can anyone give me some pointers on this? Tool? Overall approach?
Pitfalls? Any clues appreciated.

Larry

Michael Vilain

Hello, I have the following situation:

- Existing site with about 18,000 cgi pages.
- Most pages are data driven (fill out form, submit, get results).
Exact results may change from day to day as data get updated.
- Some static html mixed in
- Many pages require authentication. It is a custom in-house
authentication mechanism, but ultimately it stores a temporary session
ID in a session cookie.

I would like to implement automated testing that will:

- Tell me if anything breaks.
- Tell me if a new installation of the same overall site is working
the same as the original (for an upgrade project).
- Tell me if I break anything during maintenance (regression testing)

Can anyone give me some pointers on this? Tool? Overall approach?
Pitfalls? Any clues appreciated.

Larry

I don't know of any tools that can test in a web application
environment. The regression testing tool in Unix is expect which is
command-line only.

With so many pages, there must be an automated test plan. Otherwise,
how did the site get so large without detecting and fixing bugs? Or was
that what your customers are for?

You can write perl code that uses HTML CPAN libraries to access pages,
pretending to be a client. Said connection can input information into
fields, even store cookies for session ID between pages.

If you don't already have an automated testing environment for your web
application, it's rather late to start developing one.

Mark Clements

Michael said:
I don't know of any tools that can test in a web application
environment. The regression testing tool in Unix is expect which is
command-line only.
I came across Selenium today, which looks rather useful, and has the
advantage of being able to run tests under various browsers. Also worthy
of note is jsunit.
With so many pages, there must be an automated test plan. Otherwise,
how did the site get so large without detecting and fixing bugs? Or was
that what your customers are for?

You can write perl code that uses HTML CPAN libraries to access pages,
pretending to be a client. Said connection can input information into
fields, even store cookies for session ID between pages.
As an addendum to this:

Test::WWW::Mechanize

would be my first port of call.
If you don't already have an automated testing environment for your web
application, it's rather late to start developing one.
He's probably inherited a large and rather crufty application and wants
to make sure nothing breaks as he tries to knock it into shape. Best of
luck :)

Mark

Guest

I came across Selenium today, which looks rather useful, and has the
advantage of being able to run tests under various browsers. Also worthy
of note is jsunit.

As an addendum to this:

Test::WWW::Mechanize

would be my first port of call.

He's probably inherited a large and rather crufty application and wants
to make sure nothing breaks as he tries to knock it into shape. Best of
luck :)

Thanks for the tips! I had seen a couple of these tools around, but
wasn't sure where to start. And yes, you're right, I didn't create
18,000 pages without a test plan. That was someone else.

Larry

Larry

Thanks for the tips! I had seen a couple of these tools around, but
wasn't sure where to start. And yes, you're right, I didn't create
18,000 pages without a test plan. That was someone else.

Larry- Hide quoted text -

First impressions of Selenium:

WOW
Small download
1-click install
Up and running immediately
Explanation of command syntax right in the main window
First test worked perfectly
Translates tests into perl, java, ruby automatically

This looks really great, especially that I can create my tests right
in the browser, then translate to perl or ruby for automation and fine-
tuning.

Hats off to the Selenium developers!

Larry