Automatic authentication Problem

cyrusthevirus2007

I'm having a lot of difficulty finding any info on this. Maybe there
is different approach. I have a web application X that uses form
authentication. I want to be able to automatically login another web
application Y into X through a user name and password. So for e.g. if
a user is in Y there will be an "invisible" transition between Y to X
during a redirect.
Please help!!

lawrence.farrell

I'm having a lot of difficulty finding any info on this. Maybe there
is different approach. I have a web application X that uses form
authentication. I want to be able to automatically login another web
application Y into X through a user name and password. So for e.g. if
a user is in Y there will be an "invisible" transition between Y to X
during a redirect.
Please help!!

It all depends on implimentation. My first reaction is "yes".
However, you need to supply more details. If you are creating new
sites or they already exist. Which version of .NET you are using.
etc.

I have used the Membership API in 2.0 for several applications using
the same membership database and application name in the Web.Config.
In that case, all members of one application were automatically
members of the other and were also authenticated cross-domain.

Forms Authentication uses cookies. You could specify the name of the
cookie in both applications and check for the existance of the cookie
to see if the user is authenticated. If the person isn't allowing
cookies, that would be their tough luck.

Hope this helps

--Larry--