    Thanks.

    Yours,

    Markus

    Markus Gronotte, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Hywel Jenkins, Nov 1, 2003

  3. "Hywel Jenkins"

    Hi,

    > > Can anybody recommend a program which creates Previews of
    > > Pictures in a folder in a Grid? I have heard that
    > > there are such programms which are free and can do this.

    > Perhaps this:
    > http://gallery.menalto.com/

    Thx. This looks good, but it needs PHP. I need software which
    does not need PHP. My Webserver only supports HTML.

    Yours,

    Markus

    Markus Gronotte, Nov 2, 2003
  4. In article <bo29h3$16r226$-berlin.de>,
    says...

    http://www.tucows.com/ with have something for you, I'm sure.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Nov 2, 2003
  5. Markus Gronotte wrote:

    > Thx. This looks good, but it needs PHP. I need software which
    > does not need PHP. My Webserver only supports HTML.

    Then you'll need to run some kind of HTML and image preprocessor on
    your computer to generate the pages and then upload them. HTML by
    itself is a markup language, not a programming language, and can't
    readily[0] do anything but sit there.

    [0] ECMAScript hacks aside

    Owen Jacobson, Nov 2, 2003
  6. Markus Gronotte

    fitwell Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:00:34 +0100, "Markus Gronotte"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Can anybody recommend a program which creates Previews of
    >Pictures in a folder in a Grid? I have heard that
    >there are such programms which are free and can do this.
    >
    >Thanks.

    If I've understood you correctly, Markus, you're looking for a way to
    make a thumbnail sheet (?). If that's the case, Irfanview can do this
    for you and is free for personal use. You can find it here:
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    I've just pulled it up but I'm going to go through it. Though not an
    extremely powerful thumbnailer, Irfanview is so packed with stuff that
    there would be a bit of a learning curve. This way, you'll cut
    through a lot of that since I've hopefully outlined it clearly enough
    below.

    I have Irfanview v3.70 and I see that there been an upgrade or two. I
    already have most of the instructions below typed up so just to let
    you know that they might be slightly different. Darn. Here's hoping.
    I should have checked first.

    Anyway, to do the thumbnailing, launch Irfanview. Command is under
    FILE > THUMBNAILS. This launches a separate thumbnails viewer.
    Navigate with it to the folder you want to thumbnail and it'll load
    the pix. You can modify the borders to create a grid, most
    definitely, as well as sizes ahead of time via OPTIONS > SET THUMBNAIL
    OPTIONS.

    You might have to play with the sizes of the thumbnails if you use
    very long descriptive names, as I do. The longer the filename the
    larger the images have to be so that the text doesn't get scrunched
    up.

    If you need these thumbnails as just as simple image file and not just
    as a browsing instrument, SELECT all the thumbnails and then click
    FILE > SAVE SELECTED THUMBS AS AN IMAGE and save to a folder of your
    choice to the graphics format you need. You pretty much just get what
    you see with no editing capabilities, it seems. But useful for a fast
    thumbnail sheet.

    Or you can make an actual contact sheet which does allow you to modify
    settings. This command is also under the FILE menu. Once you choose
    this contact sheet option, a box comes up where the modification to
    font size, etc., can be made. Once done, hit CREATE and the contact
    sheet gets transferred over to Irfanview's main interface. Save as an
    image file once there if everything okay.

    Two other options in the thumbnail viewer under FILE that are useful:
    SAVE SELECTED THUMBS AS SINGLE IMAGES - pretty much self-explanatory,
    and SAVE SELECTED THUMBS AS HTML FILE - very, very useful if your
    contact sheet will actually be part of a webpage. What is absolutely
    awesome is that if you so choose, you can set a destination folder and
    everything is copied there, including html file with thumbnail pix so
    it's practically ready to upload via ftp to your site! Be sure to
    keep the COPY ORIGINAL IMAGES TO DESTINATION FOLDER. I checked it so
    got a copy of all my pix along with the created thumbnail images <g>!
    Also, the box seems to default to 1 column, so you need to change that
    to, perhaps, 3 or more or whatever so that you get a nice sheet.
    However, youl'll know best.

    This was fun. I hadn't done it in over a year but once I figured it
    out I guess that one time, it was easy to go back and do it again even
    if so much time had passed. Too, I'll have this sheet as a reference
    point for next time.

    *********************************
    Irfanview does not have the power of a thumbnail program, but it's
    very, very feature rich and robust and makes darn good thumbnail
    documents and graphics. And the price is just right!

    hth

    fitwell, Nov 2, 2003
  7. Markus Gronotte

    fitwell Guest

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 12:32:48 GMT, "Owen Jacobson"
    <> wrote:

    >Markus Gronotte wrote:
    >
    >> Thx. This looks good, but it needs PHP. I need software which
    >> does not need PHP. My Webserver only supports HTML.

    >Then you'll need to run some kind of HTML and image preprocessor on
    >your computer to generate the pages and then upload them. HTML by
    >itself is a markup language, not a programming language, and can't
    >readily[0] do anything but sit there.

    Irfanview, then, sounds like the ideal. It'll thumbnail for you with
    various options (though not as robust as an actual thumbnail program
    but darned powerful for all that). It, too, will generate the
    individual thumbnails AND the basic html file which can then be
    finetuned to add anything else to convert it to a page that conforms
    to your website design.

    And it does this thumbnailing all in a fraction of a second once you
    press OK. It's free!

    Found here: http://www.irfanview.com/

    You can see a comprehensive msg I just posted re this to this thread.

    Cheers!

    fitwell, Nov 2, 2003