Automatic deployment of VS.NET MSI-package

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jakob Olsen, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. Jakob Olsen

    Jakob Olsen Guest

    Hi,

    I didn't know which group to post this in, so I did something I usually
    don't do which is post the message in multiple groups - sorry for that!

    My problem is that I have build a .NET application and made added a
    deployment project to the solution that creates an MSI-package. This works
    fine when I manually installs the MSI-package, but I also want to be able to
    make an automatic installation so I can run something like this in the
    command-window:
    MyProject.MSI /servername=http://server /run=Everyone

    How can I do this?

    My main problem is that I want to make Everyone the standard choice for
    "Install MyProject for yourself, or for anyone who uses this computer". But
    I would also like to use some other parameters like servername.

    Y/Jakob

    Jakob Olsen, Jul 15, 2005

  2. Jakob Olsen

    Phil Wilson Guest

    VS 2005 is better in this area because there's an IDE build setting for
    Everyone/Just me called InstallAllUsers IIRC, but VS 2003 uses Just me by
    default, so:

    If you google for FolderForm_AllUsers you'll find more on this topic, but
    basically:

    1. Get Orca from the Windows Installer section of the Platform SDK.
    2. Use it to edit the Property table in your MSI file in two ways:
    a) Change the value of FolderForm_AllUsers from ME to ALL.
    b) Add the property name ALLUSERS (case sensitive) and give it a Value of 1

    You can then do a silent install of your MSI file for everyone with:
    msiexec /i <path to msi> /qn

    there are several /q options for various levels of UI display.

    You can pass properties in uppercase:
    msiexec /i <path to msi> /qn SERVERNAME=whatever

    so you can use them in custom actions, but I'm not sure if that's what you
    mean by your /servername.

    --
    Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
    ----