Automatic Form Posting

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by DaveFash, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. DaveFash

    DaveFash Guest

    Posting variables from an HTML FORM, via
    the Request.Form function on the receiving
    ASP page is great.

    But how can you POST a Form variable to
    an ASP page -- without a human pushing a
    Submit button?

    An ASP page that can decide when to POST
    and send the Form vaiables, but out without a
    human in the loop.

    p.s. the reason I do not want to use a
    Request.Querysting is because I do not
    want the user to see the values at the
    tail-end of the URL (?x=private).

    Please help... got a hot project.

    Thanks,
    Dave Fashenpour
    DaveFash, Oct 26, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. <script type="text/javascript">formname.submit();</script>

    But I think perhaps you may want to come up with a different solution. If
    there is no human interaction, what is the data that you need that requires
    a trip to the client to get it?

    Ray at work

    "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Posting variables from an HTML FORM, via
    > the Request.Form function on the receiving
    > ASP page is great.
    >
    > But how can you POST a Form variable to
    > an ASP page -- without a human pushing a
    > Submit button?
    >
    > An ASP page that can decide when to POST
    > and send the Form vaiables, but out without a
    > human in the loop.
    >
    > p.s. the reason I do not want to use a
    > Request.Querysting is because I do not
    > want the user to see the values at the
    > tail-end of the URL (?x=private).
    >
    > Please help... got a hot project.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave Fashenpour
    >
    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 26, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. DaveFash

    DaveFash Guest

    I have two ASP pages communicating a passcode
    and I do not want it displayed on the URL task bar...

    "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:

    > <script type="text/javascript">formname.submit();</script>
    >
    > But I think perhaps you may want to come up with a different solution. If
    > there is no human interaction, what is the data that you need that requires
    > a trip to the client to get it?
    >
    > Ray at work
    >
    > "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Posting variables from an HTML FORM, via
    > > the Request.Form function on the receiving
    > > ASP page is great.
    > >
    > > But how can you POST a Form variable to
    > > an ASP page -- without a human pushing a
    > > Submit button?
    > >
    > > An ASP page that can decide when to POST
    > > and send the Form vaiables, but out without a
    > > human in the loop.
    > >
    > > p.s. the reason I do not want to use a
    > > Request.Querysting is because I do not
    > > want the user to see the values at the
    > > tail-end of the URL (?x=private).
    > >
    > > Please help... got a hot project.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Dave Fashenpour
    > >

    >
    >
    >
    DaveFash, Oct 26, 2005
    #3
  4. Are these pages in the same site and application? Or do/can they share a
    database?

    Ray at work

    "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have two ASP pages communicating a passcode
    > and I do not want it displayed on the URL task bar...
    >
    > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> <script type="text/javascript">formname.submit();</script>
    >>
    >> But I think perhaps you may want to come up with a different solution.
    >> If
    >> there is no human interaction, what is the data that you need that
    >> requires
    >> a trip to the client to get it?
    >>
    >> Ray at work
    >>
    >> "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> > Posting variables from an HTML FORM, via
    >> > the Request.Form function on the receiving
    >> > ASP page is great.
    >> >
    >> > But how can you POST a Form variable to
    >> > an ASP page -- without a human pushing a
    >> > Submit button?
    >> >
    >> > An ASP page that can decide when to POST
    >> > and send the Form vaiables, but out without a
    >> > human in the loop.
    >> >
    >> > p.s. the reason I do not want to use a
    >> > Request.Querysting is because I do not
    >> > want the user to see the values at the
    >> > tail-end of the URL (?x=private).
    >> >
    >> > Please help... got a hot project.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Dave Fashenpour
    >> >

    >>
    >>
    >>
    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 26, 2005
    #4
  5. DaveFash

    DaveFash Guest

    The ASPX app has DB access and talks to an ASP page in a folder managed by
    FrontPage -- without DB access.

    "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:

    > Are these pages in the same site and application? Or do/can they share a
    > database?
    >
    > Ray at work
    >
    > "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >I have two ASP pages communicating a passcode
    > > and I do not want it displayed on the URL task bar...
    > >
    > > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> <script type="text/javascript">formname.submit();</script>
    > >>
    > >> But I think perhaps you may want to come up with a different solution.
    > >> If
    > >> there is no human interaction, what is the data that you need that
    > >> requires
    > >> a trip to the client to get it?
    > >>
    > >> Ray at work
    > >>
    > >> "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:...
    > >> > Posting variables from an HTML FORM, via
    > >> > the Request.Form function on the receiving
    > >> > ASP page is great.
    > >> >
    > >> > But how can you POST a Form variable to
    > >> > an ASP page -- without a human pushing a
    > >> > Submit button?
    > >> >
    > >> > An ASP page that can decide when to POST
    > >> > and send the Form vaiables, but out without a
    > >> > human in the loop.
    > >> >
    > >> > p.s. the reason I do not want to use a
    > >> > Request.Querysting is because I do not
    > >> > want the user to see the values at the
    > >> > tail-end of the URL (?x=private).
    > >> >
    > >> > Please help... got a hot project.
    > >> >
    > >> > Thanks,
    > >> > Dave Fashenpour
    > >> >
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>

    >
    >
    >
    DaveFash, Oct 26, 2005
    #5
  6. DaveFash

    Jevon Guest

    If you are using hidden form fields, users will still be able to view
    source, so your password will never be or stay secret.

    Which direction is the password going (I assume ASP -> ASPX), and what is it
    used for/what are you trying to do? Bouncing the password out to the user
    like this really is not secure (even if you were using HTTPS), and the
    password will not stay secret from savvy users.

    Jevon


    "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The ASPX app has DB access and talks to an ASP page in a folder managed by
    > FrontPage -- without DB access.
    >
    > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Are these pages in the same site and application? Or do/can they share a
    >> database?
    >>
    >> Ray at work
    >>
    >> "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> >I have two ASP pages communicating a passcode
    >> > and I do not want it displayed on the URL task bar...
    >> >
    >> > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> <script type="text/javascript">formname.submit();</script>
    >> >>
    >> >> But I think perhaps you may want to come up with a different solution.
    >> >> If
    >> >> there is no human interaction, what is the data that you need that
    >> >> requires
    >> >> a trip to the client to get it?
    >> >>
    >> >> Ray at work
    >> >>
    >> >> "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    >> >> news:...
    >> >> > Posting variables from an HTML FORM, via
    >> >> > the Request.Form function on the receiving
    >> >> > ASP page is great.
    >> >> >
    >> >> > But how can you POST a Form variable to
    >> >> > an ASP page -- without a human pushing a
    >> >> > Submit button?
    >> >> >
    >> >> > An ASP page that can decide when to POST
    >> >> > and send the Form vaiables, but out without a
    >> >> > human in the loop.
    >> >> >
    >> >> > p.s. the reason I do not want to use a
    >> >> > Request.Querysting is because I do not
    >> >> > want the user to see the values at the
    >> >> > tail-end of the URL (?x=private).
    >> >> >
    >> >> > Please help... got a hot project.
    >> >> >
    >> >> > Thanks,
    >> >> > Dave Fashenpour
    >> >> >
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >>
    >>
    Jevon, Oct 26, 2005
    #6
  7. DaveFash

    DaveFash Guest

    I really appreciate your interest and questions, but it is
    pretty hard to describe the system in question. What
    I orginally asked about was the ability to send a pass
    code between apps (without human involvement).

    Currently it is done by appending the code to the
    URL with a "?" and can be observed by all. I wanted
    a way to hide the data -- and it seemed a good way
    to do that, would be by Posting Form data as a
    querystring -- received by embedded in the ASP
    code.

    So I asked how to send Form data without pressing
    submit and hopefully do it within VB Script.

    "Jevon" wrote:

    > If you are using hidden form fields, users will still be able to view
    > source, so your password will never be or stay secret.
    >
    > Which direction is the password going (I assume ASP -> ASPX), and what is it
    > used for/what are you trying to do? Bouncing the password out to the user
    > like this really is not secure (even if you were using HTTPS), and the
    > password will not stay secret from savvy users.
    >
    > Jevon
    >
    >
    > "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > The ASPX app has DB access and talks to an ASP page in a folder managed by
    > > FrontPage -- without DB access.
    > >
    > > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are these pages in the same site and application? Or do/can they share a
    > >> database?
    > >>
    > >> Ray at work
    > >>
    > >> "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:...
    > >> >I have two ASP pages communicating a passcode
    > >> > and I do not want it displayed on the URL task bar...
    > >> >
    > >> > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> >> <script type="text/javascript">formname.submit();</script>
    > >> >>
    > >> >> But I think perhaps you may want to come up with a different solution.
    > >> >> If
    > >> >> there is no human interaction, what is the data that you need that
    > >> >> requires
    > >> >> a trip to the client to get it?
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Ray at work
    > >> >>
    > >> >> "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    > >> >> news:...
    > >> >> > Posting variables from an HTML FORM, via
    > >> >> > the Request.Form function on the receiving
    > >> >> > ASP page is great.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > But how can you POST a Form variable to
    > >> >> > an ASP page -- without a human pushing a
    > >> >> > Submit button?
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > An ASP page that can decide when to POST
    > >> >> > and send the Form vaiables, but out without a
    > >> >> > human in the loop.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > p.s. the reason I do not want to use a
    > >> >> > Request.Querysting is because I do not
    > >> >> > want the user to see the values at the
    > >> >> > tail-end of the URL (?x=private).
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > Please help... got a hot project.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > Thanks,
    > >> >> > Dave Fashenpour
    > >> >> >
    > >> >>
    > >> >>
    > >> >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>

    >
    >
    >
    DaveFash, Oct 26, 2005
    #7
  8. DaveFash wrote:
    > I really appreciate your interest and questions, but it is
    > pretty hard to describe the system in question. What
    > I orginally asked about was the ability to send a pass
    > code between apps (without human involvement).
    >
    > Currently it is done by appending the code to the
    > URL with a "?" and can be observed by all. I wanted
    > a way to hide the data -- and it seemed a good way
    > to do that, would be by Posting Form data as a
    > querystring -- received by embedded in the ASP
    > code.


    This makes no sense. "Posting ... as a querystring" is exactly the same as
    "appending the code to the URL with a "?" "

    >
    > So I asked how to send Form data without pressing
    > submit and hopefully do it within VB Script.
    >

    When you say "without pressing submit", do you mean you want to submit data
    to another page from your server-side code? If so, google for
    "ServerXMLHTTP"

    If instead, you are looking for a way to pass data from your client-side
    code, then you are in the wrong newsgroup. Since it sounds as if you are
    using vbscript in your client-side code, then you will get more focussed
    assistance at .scripting.vbscript, where you can ask about using the XMLHTTP
    object to accomplish your goal.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
    header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
    quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 26, 2005
    #8
  9. DaveFash

    Patrice Guest

    It's always best to describe the whole problem and not only the technical
    solution you choosed.

    For example you could pass the info server side where the user will not be
    able to see it. Even POSTing the info in an hidden filed, the info could be
    for example fecth from the browser cache etc...

    To pass the info server side you could :
    - either use the disk if both sites are at the same location
    - using server side POSTing from one form to another form on the other site
    - you may want to add encryption in case you would even protect the data
    from being seen "on the wire"...

    --
    Patrice

    --

    "DaveFash" <> a écrit dans le message de
    news:...
    > I really appreciate your interest and questions, but it is
    > pretty hard to describe the system in question. What
    > I orginally asked about was the ability to send a pass
    > code between apps (without human involvement).
    >
    > Currently it is done by appending the code to the
    > URL with a "?" and can be observed by all. I wanted
    > a way to hide the data -- and it seemed a good way
    > to do that, would be by Posting Form data as a
    > querystring -- received by embedded in the ASP
    > code.
    >
    > So I asked how to send Form data without pressing
    > submit and hopefully do it within VB Script.
    >
    > "Jevon" wrote:
    >
    > > If you are using hidden form fields, users will still be able to view
    > > source, so your password will never be or stay secret.
    > >
    > > Which direction is the password going (I assume ASP -> ASPX), and what

    is it
    > > used for/what are you trying to do? Bouncing the password out to the

    user
    > > like this really is not secure (even if you were using HTTPS), and the
    > > password will not stay secret from savvy users.
    > >
    > > Jevon
    > >
    > >
    > > "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > > > The ASPX app has DB access and talks to an ASP page in a folder

    managed by
    > > > FrontPage -- without DB access.
    > > >
    > > > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
    > > >
    > > >> Are these pages in the same site and application? Or do/can they

    share a
    > > >> database?
    > > >>
    > > >> Ray at work
    > > >>
    > > >> "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    > > >> news:...
    > > >> >I have two ASP pages communicating a passcode
    > > >> > and I do not want it displayed on the URL task bar...
    > > >> >
    > > >> > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
    > > >> >
    > > >> >> <script type="text/javascript">formname.submit();</script>
    > > >> >>
    > > >> >> But I think perhaps you may want to come up with a different

    solution.
    > > >> >> If
    > > >> >> there is no human interaction, what is the data that you need that
    > > >> >> requires
    > > >> >> a trip to the client to get it?
    > > >> >>
    > > >> >> Ray at work
    > > >> >>
    > > >> >> "DaveFash" <> wrote in message
    > > >> >> news:...
    > > >> >> > Posting variables from an HTML FORM, via
    > > >> >> > the Request.Form function on the receiving
    > > >> >> > ASP page is great.
    > > >> >> >
    > > >> >> > But how can you POST a Form variable to
    > > >> >> > an ASP page -- without a human pushing a
    > > >> >> > Submit button?
    > > >> >> >
    > > >> >> > An ASP page that can decide when to POST
    > > >> >> > and send the Form vaiables, but out without a
    > > >> >> > human in the loop.
    > > >> >> >
    > > >> >> > p.s. the reason I do not want to use a
    > > >> >> > Request.Querysting is because I do not
    > > >> >> > want the user to see the values at the
    > > >> >> > tail-end of the URL (?x=private).
    > > >> >> >
    > > >> >> > Please help... got a hot project.
    > > >> >> >
    > > >> >> > Thanks,
    > > >> >> > Dave Fashenpour
    > > >> >> >
    > > >> >>
    > > >> >>
    > > >> >>
    > > >>
    > > >>
    > > >>

    > >
    > >
    > >
    Patrice, Oct 27, 2005
    #9
  10. DaveFash

    Roland Hall Guest

    "DaveFash" wrote in message
    news:...
    :I really appreciate your interest and questions, but it is
    : pretty hard to describe the system in question. What
    : I orginally asked about was the ability to send a pass
    : code between apps (without human involvement).
    :
    : Currently it is done by appending the code to the
    : URL with a "?" and can be observed by all. I wanted
    : a way to hide the data -- and it seemed a good way
    : to do that, would be by Posting Form data as a
    : querystring -- received by embedded in the ASP
    : code.
    :
    : So I asked how to send Form data without pressing
    : submit and hopefully do it within VB Script.

    Hi Dave...

    Provide a walk though so we can better understand exactly what you want.

    If you just want to submit a form programmatically, then you can use
    HTTPRequest, as Bob suggested. However, there may be an easier way but we
    need more details.

    If you can't get it worked out here, and need to discuss it on the phone,
    I'm in Houston.

    --
    Roland Hall
    /* This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Technet Script Center - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/
    WSH 5.6 Documentation - http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/webdev.asp
    MSDN Library - http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp
    Roland Hall, Oct 27, 2005
    #10
  11. DaveFash

    Turkbear Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:06:53 -0500, "Roland Hall" <nobody@nowhere> wrote:

    >"DaveFash" wrote in message
    >news:...
    >:I really appreciate your interest and questions, but it is
    >: pretty hard to describe the system in question. What
    >: I orginally asked about was the ability to send a pass
    >: code between apps (without human involvement).
    >:
    >: Currently it is done by appending the code to the
    >: URL with a "?" and can be observed by all. I wanted
    >: a way to hide the data -- and it seemed a good way
    >: to do that, would be by Posting Form data as a
    >: querystring -- received by embedded in the ASP
    >: code.
    >:
    >: So I asked how to send Form data without pressing
    >: submit and hopefully do it within VB Script.
    >
    >Hi Dave...
    >
    >Provide a walk though so we can better understand exactly what you want.
    >
    >If you just want to submit a form programmatically, then you can use
    >HTTPRequest, as Bob suggested. However, there may be an easier way but we
    >need more details.
    >
    >If you can't get it worked out here, and need to discuss it on the phone,
    >I'm in Houston.


    Perhaps you can create the page with the form and set its contents and action to be what you need..In the Body tag have
    an OnLoad action call a JavaScript function that executes the Submit for the form..Will happen as soon as the page is
    finished loading without any intervention
    Turkbear, Oct 27, 2005
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. alanb
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    520
    alanb
    Apr 23, 2004
  2. Guest
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    759
    Guest
    Jun 29, 2004
  3. Jim Warren

    Automatic form posting

    Jim Warren, Apr 3, 2005, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    743
    Jim Warren
    Apr 4, 2005
  4. AmitKu
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    499
    John Timney \(MVP\)
    Jan 8, 2007
  5. Brett_A
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    184
    Bob Barrows [MVP]
    Apr 19, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page