Automatic Form Posting

DaveFash

Posting variables from an HTML FORM, via
the Request.Form function on the receiving
ASP page is great.

But how can you POST a Form variable to
an ASP page -- without a human pushing a
Submit button?

An ASP page that can decide when to POST
and send the Form vaiables, but out without a
human in the loop.

p.s. the reason I do not want to use a
Request.Querysting is because I do not
want the user to see the values at the
tail-end of the URL (?x=private).

Please help... got a hot project.

Thanks,
Dave Fashenpour
(e-mail address removed)

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

<script type="text/javascript">formname.submit();</script>

But I think perhaps you may want to come up with a different solution. If
there is no human interaction, what is the data that you need that requires
a trip to the client to get it?

Ray at work

DaveFash

I have two ASP pages communicating a passcode
and I do not want it displayed on the URL task bar...

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Are these pages in the same site and application? Or do/can they share a
database?

Ray at work

DaveFash

The ASPX app has DB access and talks to an ASP page in a folder managed by
FrontPage -- without DB access.

Jevon

If you are using hidden form fields, users will still be able to view
source, so your password will never be or stay secret.

Which direction is the password going (I assume ASP -> ASPX), and what is it
used for/what are you trying to do? Bouncing the password out to the user
like this really is not secure (even if you were using HTTPS), and the
password will not stay secret from savvy users.

Jevon

DaveFash

I really appreciate your interest and questions, but it is
pretty hard to describe the system in question. What
I orginally asked about was the ability to send a pass
code between apps (without human involvement).

Currently it is done by appending the code to the
URL with a "?" and can be observed by all. I wanted
a way to hide the data -- and it seemed a good way
to do that, would be by Posting Form data as a
querystring -- received by embedded in the ASP
code.

So I asked how to send Form data without pressing
submit and hopefully do it within VB Script.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

DaveFash said:
I really appreciate your interest and questions, but it is
pretty hard to describe the system in question. What
I orginally asked about was the ability to send a pass
code between apps (without human involvement).

Currently it is done by appending the code to the
URL with a "?" and can be observed by all. I wanted
a way to hide the data -- and it seemed a good way
to do that, would be by Posting Form data as a
querystring -- received by embedded in the ASP
code.

This makes no sense. "Posting ... as a querystring" is exactly the same as
"appending the code to the URL with a "?" "
So I asked how to send Form data without pressing
submit and hopefully do it within VB Script.
When you say "without pressing submit", do you mean you want to submit data
to another page from your server-side code? If so, google for
"ServerXMLHTTP"

If instead, you are looking for a way to pass data from your client-side
code, then you are in the wrong newsgroup. Since it sounds as if you are
using vbscript in your client-side code, then you will get more focussed
assistance at .scripting.vbscript, where you can ask about using the XMLHTTP
object to accomplish your goal.

Bob Barrows

Patrice

It's always best to describe the whole problem and not only the technical
solution you choosed.

For example you could pass the info server side where the user will not be
able to see it. Even POSTing the info in an hidden filed, the info could be
for example fecth from the browser cache etc...

To pass the info server side you could :
- either use the disk if both sites are at the same location
- using server side POSTing from one form to another form on the other site
- you may want to add encryption in case you would even protect the data
from being seen "on the wire"...

Roland Hall

in message
:
: Currently it is done by appending the code to the
: URL with a "?" and can be observed by all. I wanted
: a way to hide the data -- and it seemed a good way
: to do that, would be by Posting Form data as a
: querystring -- received by embedded in the ASP
: code.
:
: So I asked how to send Form data without pressing
: submit and hopefully do it within VB Script.

Hi Dave...

Provide a walk though so we can better understand exactly what you want.

If you just want to submit a form programmatically, then you can use
HTTPRequest, as Bob suggested. However, there may be an easier way but we
need more details.

If you can't get it worked out here, and need to discuss it on the phone,
I'm in Houston.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Turkbear

in message
[...]

Perhaps you can create the page with the form and set its contents and action to be what you need..In the Body tag have
an OnLoad action call a JavaScript function that executes the Submit for the form..Will happen as soon as the page is
finished loading without any intervention