Automatic installation of a java midlet on a mobile phone

Matthijs Wessels

Hi,

I am trying to realize a system which can be used at fairs on people's
mobile phones. To be able to let people use this system, I want to put
a pillar at the entrance of the fair. At this pillar, the visitors
will be able to install the app on their phone (java preferably).

The problem is, how can I install my app onto the visitors phone.
Visitor should not have to perform too many steps themselves,
otherwise they will not use the system. It can be assumed that all the
visitors will have Bluetooth. What I had in mind so far:
A visitor steps up to the pillar. The pillar screen will show a list
of phones that are in range of it's Bluetooth. The visitor selects his
own phone from the list. *Grey area*. The app is installed and
running!

So the grey area is the problem. I know for a Sony Ericsson, when I
manually send a jar file, I can run it from the phone, but for Nokia,
I have to use the Nokia Suite.

I have found some information about the PushRegistry to automatically
start a java midlet through Bluetooth.
http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/apis/articles/bluetoothcore/index.html
So that might solve the problem of having the visitor browse to the
app and run it. Still, the biggest problem is installing it.

Thank in advance,
Matthijs