Automatic page refresh

sconeek

hi all,
I have a html page with 3 frames running horizontally. one is the top
small toolbar, the main middle bar and finally the bottom small status
bar again.
now i am trying to find a way of refreshing the bottom toolbar every
say 1-2 seconds, without causing the page to flicker. i am also trying
to do a cache refresh everytime and not just a normal refresh.
if any ideas or suggestions they are all welcome.
cheers.

sconeek

i forgot to add, i am trying to implement this solution using
javascript and perhaps css and the usual html. i have got it to work
for the time being but its not doing a cache refresh and hence it
doesnt actually refresh the content in the bottom toolbar which i am
trying to aim for. thanks.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

I have a html page with 3 frames running horizontally. one is the top
small toolbar, the main middle bar and finally the bottom small status
bar again.

So there is probably no need for frames; use CSS instead.
now i am trying to find a way of refreshing the bottom toolbar every
say 1-2 seconds, without causing the page to flicker.

Seems to be a problem perfectly suited for
i am also trying to do a cache refresh everytime and not just a normal
refresh.

Provided you mean "retrieve resource from the original source instead
of the local cache" by "cache refresh", use location.reload(true).

PointedEars

sconeek

i am using frames as i need to divide the page into three different
sections. i need to do a cache refresh every 2-3 seconds on the bottom
toolbar. will try location.reload(true) and see if it works or not. in
the meantime any other suggestions are welcome.

Dennis Willson

Try this...

Create an extra frame that has zero size (so it's hidden) and cause it to refresh and when it does it retrieves the information you
need and then updates the displayed frames via Javascript. No flickering, just clean updates. I do this on a number of my websites
that are control panels to keep the information updated without the annoying flickering of page updates. If the browser is IE you
will still hear the little "click" as the hidden frame reloads, but hey... still no flashing.

Dennis

sconeek

you are right. that is a neat trick and it seems to work. however the
only prob is that the entire page is refreshging correctly except the
frame i want :). i am going to keep on trying till i get it to work.
cheers.