Automatic refresh when users selects "Back" button in Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Leszek Taratuta, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I am using the following code to prevent users to see the previous pages:

    Response.CacheControl = "no-cache";
    Response.AddHeader( "Pragma", "no-cache" );
    Response.Expires = -1;

    When users select the "Back" button in IE, they see the message:

    "Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using
    information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a
    security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your
    information for you. To resubmit your information and view this Web page,
    click the Refresh button."

    I am wondering if there is a possibility to automatically referesh the page
    so users would not need to press the "Refresh" button. The application is
    for intranet so there is no a security concern.

    Thanks for any hints,

    Leszek Taratuta

    Leszek Taratuta, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Leszek Taratuta

    Raterus Guest

    Not likely, this is an Browser feature (it is just listening to the fact that you are expiring the cache immediately). I don't see how any code could control this, a better option would be to discourage the use of the back button among your users, and provide a "back" functionality built into the page.

    Raterus, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Thanks a lot.

    I was just wondering if it would be possible because I came across the
    following article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q199/8/05.asp&NoWebContent=1

    that says:

    "This page is using 'Cache-Control: no-cache.' This page should not be
    cached for any reason whatsoever. Access to the page via the Back button
    should
    pull the page back from the server".

    Thanks,
    Leszek