Automatically Including Outside Web Content from Another Site

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by casualpipesmoker@hotmail.com, Jun 16, 2005.

    I'd like to know how you would include updated blog posts in html?
    I assume it uses an RSS feed of some sort... but what kind of code is
    needed to automatically retrieve the updates from other sites and
    include them on one single web page?

    (For instance, I want to "include" someone else's web content on my
    page as "here's the latest from so and so:" and then you could read
    whatever is retrieved from that URL.)

    An example I'm talking about is the way news sites offer the news
    headlines in a java script box for websites. The web owner just puts in
    one code and the headlines are automatically updated by the news
    agency... How do I do that or find a template code to change with my
    custom information?

    Thanks,
    BJ

    , Jun 16, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > I'd like to know how you would include updated blog posts in html?
    > I assume it uses an RSS feed of some sort... but what kind of code is
    > needed to automatically retrieve the updates from other sites and
    > include them on one single web page?

    I use rawdog but Planet is also popular.
    http://offog.org/code/rawdog.html
    http://www.planetplanet.org/

    You can also do things in most server side programming languages.
    http://search.cpan.org/~tima/XML-RAI-1.2/lib/XML/RAI.pm
    http://magpierss.sourceforge.net/
    http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javaserverpages/rss_utilities/

    > (For instance, I want to "include" someone else's web content on my
    > page as "here's the latest from so and so:" and then you could read
    > whatever is retrieved from that URL.)

    You can't do this with JavaScript in the typical browser environment (unless
    the JavaScript itself is provided by the third party), since cross-domain
    scripting is a no-no.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 16, 2005

    Thanks for that info. I'll do some reading up on it.

    Basically, here's where I want to apply it:

    I have a blogger.com site, but i also have a domain and the blog is not
    the main focus for my domain. I would like to have the latest posts
    show up on the front page of my domain as a preview of "what's new"
    from the blog. Meaning: when I add a blog post to the blogger.com
    website, and therefore update my rss feed, i want my home page (my
    domain) to automatically reflect the recent changes on the blog and
    include the recent post on the home page.

    Also - another use I'd like to use it with is... with a xanga site
    (another blogging site). I have an extensive blogger.com site already
    established and I don't want to move to xanga.com However, I think
    xanga has some better search and community characteristics and I want
    to be listed there for double exposure. Can I put something on the
    xanga site that will automatically "grab" the posts from blogger.com
    when new posts become available? (So that, in essence, I've got two
    identical blogs going on but I only write to or update one).

    And... I'm not a java programmer. I do html and am limited with
    programming knowledge in general.

    Any ideas or basic codes I can steal and modify?

    Thanks...

    , Jun 17, 2005