Automatically Including Outside Web Content from Another Site

casualpipesmoker

Hi,

I'd like to know how you would include updated blog posts in html?
I assume it uses an RSS feed of some sort... but what kind of code is
needed to automatically retrieve the updates from other sites and
include them on one single web page?

(For instance, I want to "include" someone else's web content on my
page as "here's the latest from so and so:" and then you could read
whatever is retrieved from that URL.)

An example I'm talking about is the way news sites offer the news
headlines in a java script box for websites. The web owner just puts in
one code and the headlines are automatically updated by the news
agency... How do I do that or find a template code to change with my
custom information?

Thanks,
BJ

David Dorward

I'd like to know how you would include updated blog posts in html?
I assume it uses an RSS feed of some sort... but what kind of code is
needed to automatically retrieve the updates from other sites and
include them on one single web page?

I use rawdog but Planet is also popular.
http://offog.org/code/rawdog.html
http://www.planetplanet.org/

You can also do things in most server side programming languages.
http://search.cpan.org/~tima/XML-RAI-1.2/lib/XML/RAI.pm
http://magpierss.sourceforge.net/
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javaserverpages/rss_utilities/
(For instance, I want to "include" someone else's web content on my
page as "here's the latest from so and so:" and then you could read
whatever is retrieved from that URL.)

You can't do this with JavaScript in the typical browser environment (unless
the JavaScript itself is provided by the third party), since cross-domain
scripting is a no-no.

casualpipesmoker

Thanks for that info. I'll do some reading up on it.

Basically, here's where I want to apply it:

I have a blogger.com site, but i also have a domain and the blog is not
the main focus for my domain. I would like to have the latest posts
show up on the front page of my domain as a preview of "what's new"
from the blog. Meaning: when I add a blog post to the blogger.com
website, and therefore update my rss feed, i want my home page (my
domain) to automatically reflect the recent changes on the blog and
include the recent post on the home page.

Also - another use I'd like to use it with is... with a xanga site
(another blogging site). I have an extensive blogger.com site already
established and I don't want to move to xanga.com However, I think
xanga has some better search and community characteristics and I want
to be listed there for double exposure. Can I put something on the
xanga site that will automatically "grab" the posts from blogger.com
when new posts become available? (So that, in essence, I've got two
identical blogs going on but I only write to or update one).

And... I'm not a java programmer. I do html and am limited with
programming knowledge in general.

Any ideas or basic codes I can steal and modify?

Thanks...