automatically setting platform-dependent location for Distutils "install-scripts"?

Discussion in 'Python' started by, Aug 6, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello all,

    I am developing a Python-based tool that will be deployed both in a
    Windows and in a Linux
    environment, and I have a question concerning the use of the Distutils
    module to manage the
    installation of the tool in a transparent manner.

    A bit of background info:
    1. (I am using Python version 2.5)
    2. Let's assume that the tool is named "xyz"
    3. It is internally partitioned into two parts: -- the front-end script that the users actually
    invoke, and
    xyzPackage -- a package containing the "guts" of the tool
    4. Users do not really care where the "xyzPackage" part is installed
    and thus by default it will be installed into Python's standard
    "site-packages" directory.
    5. However, users *do* care where the "" part is installed

    Now, I have created a Distutils-based "" script that looks
    like this:
    from distutils.core import setup

    > setup(name='xyz',
    > version="1.0",
    > # provide other metadata, such as 'description', 'author', 'author_email', 'url', ... etc.
    > packages=['xyzPackage'],
    > scripts=[''])

    .... that takes care of the above concerns, and also accepts a
    "setup.cfg" configuration file that
    allows the user to control into which directory to install the
    "" part, as follows:

    > [install]
    > install-scripts=C:\xyzScriptDirectory

    And thus, here is my problem:

    [1] At any given moment, the directory name specified in the above
    "setup.cfg" file
    can be either a "Windows-style" directory (as is shown above)
    or a "Linux-style" directory (say "/opt/xyzScriptDirectory"), but
    not both!

    [2] I would like to have a *single* "setup.cfg" file that can
    nevertheless be used for *both*
    Windows and Linux, *without* having to be edited by the user.

    For example, it would be really nice if I can have a customized
    "setup.cfg" file that looks like:

    > [install]
    > install-scripts-Windows=C:\xyzScriptDirectory
    > install-scripts-Linux=/opt/xyzScriptDirectory

    .... and then some part of Distutils can query "" and set the
    "real" 'install-scripts' option
    to the appropriate one of these two choices.

    I assume this can be done by "overriding" and customizing part of
    Indeed, I have already done something similar by overriding
    to use a customized "copy_scripts()" method.

    However, it is not clear to me in what manner I can/should
    override "distutils.command.install_scripts" to achieve the effect
    that I desire.

    Is this at all the way to go, or might there be a totally obvious way
    to do this
    that I am currently overlooking?

    If anyone has similar experience in tweaking Distutils, I would be
    most appreciative of any
    advice that you can offer.

    Thanks in advance!
    , Aug 6, 2007