Automaticly going to new ulr

Net5

We are thinking of changing where our web site is located. I want to
automaticly forward anyone that uses the old ulr. I've seen pages
where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc
in 5 seconds. If not click here'.

How is this done???

SER

Jeffrey Silverman

We are thinking of changing where our web site is located. I want to
automaticly forward anyone that uses the old ulr. I've seen pages
where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc
in 5 seconds. If not click here'.

How is this done???

SER

Google on

"meta refresh"

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
We are thinking of changing where our web site is located.
Why?

I've seen pages
where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc
in 5 seconds. If not click here'.

Yes, they're annoying. And "click here" is stupid link text.
How is this done???

Wrongly. Do it properly - get your server to send the appropriate HTTP
headers.

brucie

In alt.html Net5 said:
We are thinking of changing where our web site is located.

on your old site setup a 301 redirection. (assuming apache) stick the
below in a .htaccess file[1] in your root.

RedirectPermanent /absolute/path/to/your/root http://example.com/

your current host FAQ should tell you what the absolute path to your
root is. example.com being your new address.

on your new site remind everyone to update their bookmarks.
I've seen pages where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to
www.nnn.abc in 5 seconds. If not click here'.

very bad

don't use anything client side to redirect people, always do it server
side where it works, doesn't annoy search engines and the correct client
request redirect responses are sent.

if you don't want to do a 301 then just do a normal page telling people
about the change and display the new address, don't do any attempts at
redirection.

[1] a .htaccess file is a plain text file named as shown. if you create
the file with notepad save the file with quotes to prevent notepad from
adding a .txt extension i.e: ".htaccess"

Disco Octopus

Net5 said:
We are thinking of changing where our web site is located. I want to
automaticly forward anyone that uses the old ulr. I've seen pages
where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc
in 5 seconds. If not click here'.

How is this done???

look into http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt and look specifically at
section 10 - status codes.
and then perhaps
10.3.2 - 301 moved perminantly.
and
10.3.8 - 307 temporary re3direect.

many ways to implement this. put something in you .htaccess file to do the
business, or perhaps in ech page - a header included file for a php script
that will do the business???

Jan Faerber

Net5 said:
We are thinking of changing where our web site is located. I want to
automaticly forward anyone that uses the old ulr. I've seen pages
where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc
in 5 seconds. If not click here'.

How is this done???

My former Bank use this on www.ba-ca.com:
but you can also go there - http://www.ba-ca.com/en/index.html
and they have also a frame check - I think for
security reasons:

</head>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
// check if we are captured in a frame
if(top.frames.length > 0)
top.location.href=self.location;
function screenSwitch()
{
if (screen.height >= 768)
{
window.location.href = "/de/index.html";
}
else
{
window.location.href = "/de/5430.html";
// -->
</script>

interesting is also the line...
if (!browserTest())
and then
{ document.write('Optimized for browser version 4.0 and higher.'); }

You can get their index file here if you want
http://html.janfaerber.com/files/index.html.txt
it is a transitional html variant.

You can set a redirect directive in an apache configuration file
but there is no second attribute to set a delay for the redirect.

SpaceGirl

Net5 said:
We are thinking of changing where our web site is located. I want to
automaticly forward anyone that uses the old ulr. I've seen pages
where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc
in 5 seconds. If not click here'.

How is this done???

SER

<% response.redirect("/newpagehere.htm") %>

in ASP.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

PeterMcC

ApicalSoft wrote in
put this between <head></head>

url=http://domain.com/page.htm">

cheers mate

You'd be better off with a 301 redirect. Apart from anything else, the SE's
treat redirects of the above form as possible cloaking - one page for the SE
bots and another for the user. The 301 will also redirect inbound links to
your site and preserve any Google PR that the pages may have accrued.