    in 5 seconds. If not click here'.

    How is this done???

    SER

    Net5, Nov 17, 2004

  2. On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:17:40 +0000, Net5 wrote:

    > We are thinking of changing where our web site is located. I want to
    > automaticly forward anyone that uses the old ulr. I've seen pages
    > where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc
    > in 5 seconds. If not click here'.
    >
    > How is this done???
    >
    > SER

    Google on

    "meta refresh"

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Net5

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Net5 <> said:

    > We are thinking of changing where our web site is located.

    Why?

    > I've seen pages
    > where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc
    > in 5 seconds. If not click here'.

    Yes, they're annoying. And "click here" is stupid link text.

    > How is this done???

    Wrongly. Do it properly - get your server to send the appropriate HTTP
    headers.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Net5

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Net5 said:

    > We are thinking of changing where our web site is located.

    on your old site setup a 301 redirection. (assuming apache) stick the
    below in a .htaccess file[1] in your root.

    RedirectPermanent /absolute/path/to/your/root http://example.com/

    your current host FAQ should tell you what the absolute path to your
    root is. example.com being your new address.

    on your new site remind everyone to update their bookmarks.

    > I've seen pages where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to
    > www.nnn.abc in 5 seconds. If not click here'.

    very bad

    don't use anything client side to redirect people, always do it server
    side where it works, doesn't annoy search engines and the correct client
    request redirect responses are sent.

    if you don't want to do a 301 then just do a normal page telling people
    about the change and display the new address, don't do any attempts at
    redirection.

    [1] a .htaccess file is a plain text file named as shown. if you create
    the file with notepad save the file with quotes to prevent notepad from
    adding a .txt extension i.e: ".htaccess"

    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Net5 wrote:
    > We are thinking of changing where our web site is located. I want to
    > automaticly forward anyone that uses the old ulr. I've seen pages
    > where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc
    > in 5 seconds. If not click here'.
    >
    > How is this done???

    look into http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt and look specifically at
    section 10 - status codes.
    and then perhaps
    10.3.2 - 301 moved perminantly.
    and
    10.3.8 - 307 temporary re3direect.

    many ways to implement this. put something in you .htaccess file to do the
    business, or perhaps in ech page - a header included file for a php script
    that will do the business???

    Disco Octopus, Nov 17, 2004
  6. Net5

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Net5 wrote:

    > We are thinking of changing where our web site is located. I want to
    > automaticly forward anyone that uses the old ulr. I've seen pages
    > where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc
    > in 5 seconds. If not click here'.
    >
    > How is this done???

    My former Bank use this on www.ba-ca.com:
    but you can also go there - http://www.ba-ca.com/en/index.html
    and they have also a frame check - I think for
    security reasons:

    </head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    // check if we are captured in a frame
    if(top.frames.length > 0)
    top.location.href=self.location;
    function screenSwitch()
    {
    if (screen.height >= 768)
    {
    window.location.href = "/de/index.html";
    }
    else
    {
    window.location.href = "/de/5430.html";
    // -->
    </script>

    interesting is also the line...
    if (!browserTest())
    and then
    { document.write('Optimized for browser version 4.0 and higher.'); }

    You can get their index file here if you want
    http://html.janfaerber.com/files/index.html.txt
    it is a transitional html variant.

    You can set a redirect directive in an apache configuration file
    but there is no second attribute to set a delay for the redirect.

    --
    Jan

    http://html.janfaerber.com

    Jan Faerber, Nov 18, 2004
  7. Net5

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Net5 wrote:

    > We are thinking of changing where our web site is located. I want to
    > automaticly forward anyone that uses the old ulr. I've seen pages
    > where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc
    > in 5 seconds. If not click here'.
    >
    > How is this done???
    >
    > SER

    <% response.redirect("/newpagehere.htm") %>

    in ASP.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 18, 2004
  8. Net5 enlightened us with:
    > 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc in 5 seconds. If not click
    > here'.

    "Click here" as link text is absolutely horrible. Read
    http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/noClickHere before ever doing something like
    that again ;-)

    Sybren

    Sybren Stuvel, Nov 18, 2004
  9. Net5

    PeterMcC Guest

    ApicalSoft wrote in
    <cnkfrm$2t71$99.com>

    > "Net5" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> We are thinking of changing where our web site is located. I want to
    >> automaticly forward anyone that uses the old ulr. I've seen pages
    >> where there is a message that 'you will be forwared to www.nnn.abc
    >> in 5 seconds. If not click here'.
    >>
    >> How is this done???

    > put this between <head></head>

    > url=http://domain.com/page.htm">
    >
    > cheers mate

    You'd be better off with a 301 redirect. Apart from anything else, the SE's
    treat redirects of the above form as possible cloaking - one page for the SE
    bots and another for the user. The 301 will also redirect inbound links to
    your site and preserve any Google PR that the pages may have accrued.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Nov 19, 2004