    Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for such
    thing already ?

    Matthias

    Matthias Pospiech, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Matthias Pospiech

    Mitja Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:59:07 +0100, Matthias Pospiech
    <> wrote:

    > I would like to include to every Link a small picture of the website.
    > Like for example on http://gnuhaus.com/web.html
    > but mabe with smaller images.
    >
    > Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for such
    > thing already ?

    What you're looking for is called screen capturing software. The more
    sophisticated proggies come with both options that you desire - capturing
    the image of the active window only and resizing the image. The capability
    of saving to a file is a given.

    Google for freeware screen capture.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Mitja wrote:

    > On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:59:07 +0100, Matthias Pospiech
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to include to every Link a small picture of the website.
    >> Like for example on http://gnuhaus.com/web.html
    >> but mabe with smaller images.
    >>
    >> Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for such
    >> thing already ?

    > What you're looking for is called screen capturing software.

    Really ?

    What I a m looking for should run on a linux system and be called by a php
    or perl script and run in the background. Moreover it must be installable
    with normal user rights.

    To be more precise, I do not look for software to capture the whole screen,
    just for software that captures the webpage design. resizing should not be
    the problem.

    One exampel webpage that does this is (just found rigt now)
    http://world.dir.nodeworks.com/Deutsch/Computer/Software/TeX/LaTeX/

    Very interessting is however, that my webpage is the only one without a
    screenshot...

    There a tool that does this is called Thumbshots

    Matthias

    Matthias Pospiech, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Matthias Pospiech

    Richard Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:15:12 +0100 Matthias Pospiech wrote:

    > Mitja wrote:

    >> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:59:07 +0100, Matthias Pospiech
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I would like to include to every Link a small picture of the website.
    >>> Like for example on http://gnuhaus.com/web.html
    >>> but mabe with smaller images.

    >>> Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for
    >>> such
    >>> thing already ?

    >> What you're looking for is called screen capturing software.

    > Really ?

    > What I a m looking for should run on a linux system and be called by a
    > php
    > or perl script and run in the background. Moreover it must be
    > installable
    > with normal user rights.

    I don't think you want to do this on the server level.
    Your host may not approve of such a program running in the background.

    > To be more precise, I do not look for software to capture the whole
    > screen,
    > just for software that captures the webpage design. resizing should not
    > be
    > the problem.

    Copyright and intellectual property conflicts are possible here.

    > One exampel webpage that does this is (just found rigt now)
    > http://world.dir.nodeworks.com/Deutsch/Computer/Software/TeX/LaTeX/

    Sprechen sie deutsch nein.

    > Very interessting is however, that my webpage is the only one without a
    > screenshot...

    > There a tool that does this is called Thumbshots

    > Matthias

    Thumbshots captures the entire page and makes a thumbnail.
    From what I've seen on their pages.
    So what you're after then is a program will capture the template, not the
    content.
    I don't think any software around can do that.

    Richard, Jan 7, 2005
  5. Matthias Pospiech

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

    > Copyright and intellectual property conflicts are possible here.

    Doesn't bother you though does it.

    --
    D?
    http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR

    Duende, Jan 7, 2005
  6. Duende wrote:

    > While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:
    >

    >> Copyright and intellectual property conflicts are possible here.

    > Doesn't bother you though does it.

    In which way would a thumbnail image of a website cause Copyright and

    Matthias Pospiech, Jan 7, 2005
  7. Richard wrote:
    >> What I a m looking for should run on a linux system and be called by a
    >> php
    >> or perl script and run in the background. Moreover it must be
    >> installable
    >> with normal user rights.

    > I don't think you want to do this on the server level.
    > Your host may not approve of such a program running in the background.

    Why not on server level ? Because I would connect lets say 150 webpages
    every 2 weeks or so ? Actually I have not thought about what the host might
    say to it, but I could contact the host to ask.

    Well, could also be on my machine (still Linux) and the images updated over
    ftp. But with more than hundret linked pages this is still no job for
    manual screenshots.

    >> One exampel webpage that does this is (just found rigt now)
    >> http://world.dir.nodeworks.com/Deutsch/Computer/Software/TeX/LaTeX/

    > Sprechen sie deutsch nein.

    Well, the images are still international ...

    > So what you're after then is a program will capture the template, not the
    > content.

    Hm, I am not interested in there HTML template, nor the content just the
    picture.

    > I don't think any software around can do that.

    Sad.

    Matthias

    Matthias Pospiech, Jan 7, 2005
  8. Matthias Pospiech

    mbstevens Guest

    Matthias Pospiech wrote:

    >>> I would like to include to every Link a small picture of the website.
    >>> Like for example on http://gnuhaus.com/web.html
    >>> but mabe with smaller images.
    >>>
    >>> Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for such
    >>> thing already ?

    > What I a m looking for should run on a linux system and be called by a php
    > or perl script and run in the background. Moreover it must be installable
    > with normal user rights.
    > To be more precise, I do not look for software to capture the whole
    > screen, just for software that captures the webpage design. resizing
    > should not be the problem.
    > One exampel webpage that does this is (just found rigt now)
    > http://world.dir.nodeworks.com/Deutsch/Computer/Software/TeX/LaTeX/

    If I were making a site like either of the ones you posted links to, I would
    want to visit them personally to decide which page on the site to make a
    thumbnail of. I don't see how your decisions could be automated except with
    a thoroughly trained AI. You could use ksnapshot. Gnome has a similar
    grabber.

    Once you have all your images and text notes gathered together, you should
    be able to write a preprocessor in Perl to make the pages for you, ready
    for upload to your server.

    Or, you could upload everything and display them through a CGI program that
    combines them into a webpage when called.

    One completely scriptable Linux command is 'import'. It can be used to
    capture a screenshot of any window you know the name of. Check out it's
    man page.

    A much more complete set of scriptable image manipulation tools is
    ImageMagick,which Perl and several other languages have hooks into.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com/preprocessor/

    mbstevens, Jan 7, 2005
  9. Matthias Pospiech

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Matthias Pospiech wrote:

    > What I a m looking for should run on a linux system and be called by a php
    > or perl script and run in the background. Moreover it must be installable
    > with normal user rights.

    That ought to be doable.

    Use something like "vncserver" to create a new virtual desktop, spawn
    Mozilla or some other browser and send it to the address, pause for 10
    seconds and then use "import" or some other screen capture utility to take
    a shot and "convert" to scale it down to a decent size. Then kill the
    vncserver by PID.

    Seems suitably scriptable in, say, Perl.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 7, 2005
  10. mbstevens wrote:

    > Matthias Pospiech wrote:
    >> To be more precise, I do not look for software to capture the whole
    >> screen, just for software that captures the webpage design. resizing
    >> should not be the problem.
    >> One exampel webpage that does this is (just found rigt now)
    >> http://world.dir.nodeworks.com/Deutsch/Computer/Software/TeX/LaTeX/

    > If I were making a site like either of the ones you posted links to, I
    > would want to visit them personally to decide which page on the site to
    > make a thumbnail of. I don't see how your decisions could be automated
    > except with a thoroughly trained AI.

    Well, I have all the links already, I have them online already. But I think
    that the links pages might be much better with such images.

    > You could use ksnapshot. Gnome has a similar grabber.

    I know, but that leaves me still with loading the page, doing a screenshot
    and cutting the image aferwards.

    > Once you have all your images and text notes gathered together, you should
    > be able to write a preprocessor in Perl to make the pages for you, ready
    > for upload to your server.

    Sure, But its only a bunch of pages.

    > One completely scriptable Linux command is 'import'. It can be used to
    > capture a screenshot of any window you know the name of. Check out it's
    > man page.

    Import sound like the right tool to capture images by a script.

    > A much more complete set of scriptable image manipulation tools is
    > ImageMagick,which Perl and several other languages have hooks into.

    You mean convert ? I know, but I never understood the manpage though.

    The real reason why I would like to have it completely automatical is that
    if my webpage could be edited online, and links could be edited online (by
    others) than this webpage-images should be created automatically too.

    Matthias

    Matthias Pospiech, Jan 7, 2005
  11. Matthias Pospiech

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Matthias Pospiech scribbled in the mud:

    > Duende wrote:
    >
    >> While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:
    >>

    >>> Copyright and intellectual property conflicts are possible here.

    >> Doesn't bother you though does it.

    > In which way would a thumbnail image of a website cause Copyright and
    > intellectual property conflicts ?

    Richard has been known to steal entire sites, not just a thumbnail image of a
    website.

    Duende, Jan 7, 2005
  12. Matthias Pospiech

    mbstevens Guest

    Matthias Pospiech wrote:

    >> A much more complete set of scriptable image manipulation tools is
    >> ImageMagick,which Perl and several other languages have hooks into.

    > You mean convert ? I know, but I never understood the manpage though.

    http://www.imagemagick.org
    Also search sites on your favorite scripting language for the hooks into
    the programs.

    > The real reason why I would like to have it completely automatical is that
    > if my webpage could be edited online, and links could be edited online (by
    > others) than this webpage-images should be created automatically too.

    You might be able to adapt a script from CGI resource index:
    http://www.cgi-resources.com/
    or
    http://php.resourceindex.com/Complete_Scripts/
    or
    use or modify some classes or scripts you find by digging around in
    http://www.cpan.org/

    mbstevens, Jan 7, 2005
  13. Matthias Pospiech

    Richard Guest

    On 7 Jan 2005 22:52:21 GMT Duende wrote:

    > While sitting in a puddle Matthias Pospiech scribbled in the mud:

    >> Duende wrote:

    >>> While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

    >>> Doesn't bother you though does it.

    >> In which way would a thumbnail image of a website cause Copyright and
    >> intellectual property conflicts ?

    > Richard has been known to steal entire sites, not just a thumbnail
    > image of a
    > website.

    Bullshit. There was nothing on your little excercise page that was
    copyrightable by you.
    The "lorem ipsum" stuff was originally written in 45bc by a greek person,
    which is readily available all over the net. The "eye" image is public
    domain. As a matter of fact, that very same eye is an icon of a program I
    have. What is left, is your experimental menu item stuff, which is a list,
    and a list is not copyrightable.
    Oh and the design of your page? You did not create it, which is also public
    domain.

    Richard, Jan 8, 2005
  14. Matthias Pospiech

    Richard Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:59:07 +0100 Matthias Pospiech wrote:

    > I would like to include to every Link a small picture of the website.
    > Like for example on http://gnuhaus.com/web.html
    > but mabe with smaller images.

    > Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for
    > such
    > thing already ?

    > Matthias

    I was just wondering.
    How are you going to capture a view of the entire page if the page is bigger
    than your screen size?

    How about?
    http://www.fox-magic.com/mc_gb/web_page_capture.html
    So so. I've fooled around with it and it's nothing more than any basic
    screen capture with a couple of twists.

    The probllem with any capturing program, is that is mostly limited to what
    is seen on the screen.

    You would have to have a program that captured the entire page as is before
    you could make an image of it.
    I don't believe there is a stand alone program that can do that.

    Richard, Jan 8, 2005
  15. Matthias Pospiech

    mbstevens Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > I was just wondering.
    > How are you going to capture a view of the entire page if the page is
    > bigger than your screen size?

    Credit Linuxformat magazine for this hack:
    Getting a screen shot from an X session from a non-X virtual console:
    Linux has virtual terminals that you can get to by key commands like
    Control-alt-F1. Go to one.
    Then issue the command:

    chvt 7;sleep 2;import -display :0.0 -window root somename.png;chvt 1;

    1)chvt and sleep
    changes to the terminal to capture from
    2)import captures the image
    3) chvt changes back

    mbstevens, Jan 8, 2005
  16. Matthias Pospiech

    Oli Filth Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > The "lorem ipsum" stuff was originally written in 45bc by a greek person,

    .... no comment ...

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Jan 8, 2005
  17. Matthias Pospiech

    Neal Guest

    Oli Filth <> wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> The "lorem ipsum" stuff was originally written in 45bc by a greek
    >> person,

    > ... no comment ...

    I'll just stand over here...

    Neal, Jan 8, 2005
  18. Matthias Pospiech

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

    > As a matter of fact, that very same eye is an icon of a program I
    > have

    Proof?

    Duende, Jan 8, 2005
  19. Matthias Pospiech

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

    > The "lorem ipsum" stuff

    wasn't what it was but it was garbled text. Pay attention.

    Duende, Jan 8, 2005
  20. Richard wrote:

    > On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:59:07 +0100 Matthias Pospiech wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to include to every Link a small picture of the website.
    >> Like for example on http://gnuhaus.com/web.html
    >> but mabe with smaller images.

    >> Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for
    >> such
    >> thing already ?

    >> Matthias

    > I was just wondering.
    > How are you going to capture a view of the entire page if the page is
    > bigger than your screen size?
    >
    > How about?
    > http://www.fox-magic.com/mc_gb/web_page_capture.html
    > So so. I've fooled around with it and it's nothing more than any basic
    > screen capture with a couple of twists.
    >
    > The probllem with any capturing program, is that is mostly limited to what
    > is seen on the screen.
    >
    > You would have to have a program that captured the entire page as is
    > before you could make an image of it.
    > I don't believe there is a stand alone program that can do that.

    I personally use 'import' under Linux and then put the pieces together.
    Unless you do that task on a very frequent basis, it should be fine. I use
    the GIMP to do all the merging. The same goes for Print Screen and Paint,
    for example, under Window$.

    A program that takes a shot of the entire page has to be quite cunning. It
    needs to fetch data that is not in the frame buffer and is stored in one
    form of another in RAM (or disk swap) by an arbitrary application. Maybe
    Firefox has some extension that handles the task?

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com