Automating installation of gems on remote machine with Capistrano

Steven Hansen

Greetings,

I'm wondering if anyone has used Capistrano to automate the installation
of gems on remote machines.

The problem I'm having is that when you install a gem from the command
line, at various stages it will prompt you for a 'Y' or 'N' answer.

Let's say I have the following task and I want it to run on a remote
machine:

desc "Install rails"
task :install_rails do
run "gem install rails"
end

The task starts up and begins the installation, but then hangs after I
get the 'Y' or 'N' prompt.

Is there a way to just skip the prompt and specify 'Y' for everything?

Regards,
Steven

Brad Tilley

Quoting Steven Hansen said:
Greetings,

I'm wondering if anyone has used Capistrano to automate the installation
of gems on remote machines.

The problem I'm having is that when you install a gem from the command
line, at various stages it will prompt you for a 'Y' or 'N' answer.

Let's say I have the following task and I want it to run on a remote
machine:

desc "Install rails"
task :install_rails do
run "gem install rails"
end

The task starts up and begins the installation, but then hangs after I
get the 'Y' or 'N' prompt.

Is there a way to just skip the prompt and specify 'Y' for everything?

Could you use the Unix 'yes' command?

man yes

Steven Hansen

Justin said:
You can use the "--include-dependencies" option. You will have trouble
with
platform specific gems, though, as it will ask you to pick a version. You
can probably specify the specific version in those cases, though.

Justin

Sweet, that's exactly what I was looking for.

-Steven

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Greetings,

I'm wondering if anyone has used Capistrano to automate the
installation of gems on remote machines.

The problem I'm having is that when you install a gem from the
command line, at various stages it will prompt you for a 'Y' or 'N'
answer.

Let's say I have the following task and I want it to run on a
remote machine:

desc "Install rails"
task :install_rails do
run "gem install rails"
end

The task starts up and begins the installation, but then hangs
after I get the 'Y' or 'N' prompt.

Is there a way to just skip the prompt and specify 'Y' for everything?

Regards,
Steven

Hey Steven-

Here is a capistrano plugin for installing gems remotely. This
supports slecting gem versions or letting it pick from the list
itself when it gets presented with a list of choices it will choose
the correct latest version based on architecture.

This is code adapted and extracted from the vmgen gem for generating
Xen instances.

require 'capistrano'
# Installs within Capistrano as the plugin _gem_.
# Prefix all calls to the library with <tt>gem.</tt>
# Manages installing gems and versioned gems.
module Gem

# Default install command
#
# * doesn't install documentation
# * installs all required dependencies automatically.
#
GEM_INSTALL="gem install -y --no-rdoc"

# Upgrade the *gem* system to the latest version. Runs via *sudo*
def update_system
sudo "gem update --system"
end

# Updates all the installed gems to the latest version. Runs via
*sudo*.
# Don't use this command if any of the gems require a version
selection.
def upgrade
sudo "gem update --no-rdoc"
end

# Removes old versions of gems from installation area.
def cleanup
sudo "gem cleanup"
end

# Installs the gems detailed in +packages+, selecting version
+version+ if
# specified.
#
# +packages+ can be a single string or an array of strings.
#
def install(packages, version=nil)
sudo "#{GEM_INSTALL} #{if version then '-v '+version.to_s end} #
{packages.to_a.join(' ')}"
end

# Auto selects a gem from a list and installs it.
#
# *gem* has no mechanism on the command line of disambiguating
builds for
# different platforms, and instead asks the user. This method has
the necessary
# conversation to select the +version+ relevant to +platform+ (or
the one nearest
# the top of the list if you don't specify +version+).
def select(package, version=nil, platform='ruby')
selections={}
cmd="#{GEM_INSTALL} #{if version then '-v '+version.to_s end} #
{package}"
sudo cmd do |channel, stream, data|
data.each_line do | line |
case line
when /\s(\d+).*\(#{platform}\)/
if selections[channel[:host]].nil?
selections[channel[:host]]=$1.dup+"\n"
logger.info "Selecting #$&", "#{stream} :: #{channel[:host]}"
end
when /\s\d+\./
# Discard other selections from data stream
when /^>/
channel.send_data selections[channel[:host]]
logger.debug line, "#{stream} :: #{channel[:host]}"
else
logger.info line, "#{stream} :: #{channel[:host]}"
end
end
end
end

end

Capistrano.plugin :gem, Gem

Cheers-
-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist
-- (e-mail address removed)
-- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting
-- (866) 518-YARD (9273)

Steven Hansen

Ezra said:
[...]

Ezra,

Thank you! :)

One question, is there a standard location to put capistrano plugins?
The capistrano manual didn't mention anything about this so I suppose I
could just stick it in my app's lib dir?

Kind Regards,
Steven

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

<snip>
Ezra,

Thank you! :)

One question, is there a standard location to put capistrano
plugins? The capistrano manual didn't mention anything about this
so I suppose I could just stick it in my app's lib dir?

Kind Regards,
Steven

Hey Steven-

It really doesn't matter where you put it as long as it is in the
load path so you can require it in your recipe file. So lib is a fin
place to put it.