automating online banking login & checking for new transactions -what's best approach? (e.g. which g

Greg Hauptmann

I'm interested in automating online banking login & checking for new
transactions - what's best approach? (e.g. which gems/libraries etc) Anyone
already built something that does this?

For example login each hour and check for any new credit card transactions
and then email them to myself if there are new ones.

Thanks

Rodrigo Bermejo

Greg said:
Hi,
I'm interested in automating online banking login & checking for new
transactions - what's best approach? (e.g. which gems/libraries etc)
Anyone
already built something that does this?

For example login each hour and check for any new credit card
transactions
and then email them to myself if there are new ones.

Thanks
try watir , mechanize or open-uri for login to the web page and the
win32ole(outlook ) for sending you the notification email.

-ronnie.

Eric Hodel

I'm interested in automating online banking login & checking for new
transactions - what's best approach? (e.g. which gems/libraries
etc) Anyone
already built something that does this?

For example login each hour and check for any new credit card
transactions
and then email them to myself if there are new ones.

I'd use mint.com to aggregate all the transactions then write a
scraper for mint instead. It'd be more usable by more people.

My credit card (HSBC) has the option of emailing me for any
transactions over a certain amount, maybe the feature is built-in for
you too?

Greg Hauptmann

I'm in Australia & also my bank don't support notifications (hence why I
want to knock something together for myself).

It seems Mechanize might be best? (i.e. I'm looking for one I can deploy to
a linux server, hence I don't want it based on having to have a browser
instance running separately). Is there anything to look at beyond
Mechanize?

tks

Ryan Davis

I'm in Australia & also my bank don't support notifications (hence
why I
want to knock something together for myself).

It seems Mechanize might be best? (i.e. I'm looking for one I can
deploy to
a linux server, hence I don't want it based on having to have a
browser
instance running separately). Is there anything to look at beyond
Mechanize?

as long as you don't have to interact with javascript, mechanize is
your best bet.

Rodrigo Bermejo

Ryan said:
as long as you don't have to interact with javascript, mechanize is
your best bet.

If you are on a Linux system, try lynx ..
you can create a lynx macro ..
dump the html stuff to a file
parse the file
send email if something changed `mailx <$yourfile`

And sure all this can be done too with ruby.
reuse as much as you can ;)