Automation and scheduling of front page publishing using python

Discussion in 'Python' started by andrew.arobert@gmail.com, Aug 31, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Good afternoon,

    We have numerous web sites which are currently being manually
    published via Front Page.

    Doing one or two sites on an ad-hoc basis was not too bad but we are
    now over 20 or thirty at set times during a business day.

    What I would love to do is find a way of automating this task, ideally
    by the command line, and called from a central automated task
    scheduler such as Maestro.

    Using Cygwin's rsync or Microsoft's Robocopy successfully moves a
    site from one file system path to another but the front page
    extensions and navigation/etc are
    broken.

    Does anyone know of an alternative method for handling this using
    Python?

    I did a google search and a scan of the cheese shop but nothing seems
    to jump out as a place to start.

    Any advice you can give on this would be fantastic.

    I've been trying to introduce Python to my shop for some time but they
    have been most resistant, usually insisting on Perl.

    Thanks,
    Andy

    , Aug 31, 2007

  2. Re: Automation and scheduling of FrontPage publishing using Python

    In message <>,
    wrote:

    > We have numerous web sites which are currently being manually
    > published via Front Page.
    >
    > Doing one or two sites on an ad-hoc basis was not too bad but we are
    > now over 20 or thirty at set times during a business day.

    Let me open the bidding by suggesting that you stop using FrontPage.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 1, 2007

  3. Steve Holden Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> We have numerous web sites which are currently being manually
    >> published via Front Page.
    >>
    >> Doing one or two sites on an ad-hoc basis was not too bad but we are
    >> now over 20 or thirty at set times during a business day.

    > Let me open the bidding by suggesting that you stop using FrontPage.

    But that would mean reprogramming the functionality they now implement
    using FrontPage extensions. Any help with that?

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Sep 1, 2007
  4. Re: Automation and scheduling of FrontPage publishing using Python

    In message <>, Steve
    Holden wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>,
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> We have numerous web sites which are currently being manually
    >>> published via Front Page.
    >>>
    >>> Doing one or two sites on an ad-hoc basis was not too bad but we are
    >>> now over 20 or thirty at set times during a business day.

    >> Let me open the bidding by suggesting that you stop using FrontPage.

    > But that would mean reprogramming the functionality they now implement
    > using FrontPage extensions. Any help with that?

    If they were using FrontPage extensions, they deserve everything they get.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 1, 2007
  5. Steve Holden Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Steve
    > Holden wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Let me open the bidding by suggesting that you stop using FrontPage.

    >> But that would mean reprogramming the functionality they now implement
    >> using FrontPage extensions. Any help with that?

    > If they were using FrontPage extensions, they deserve everything they get.

    While possibly justifiable, given that FrontPage has had holes you could
    drive a London double-decker but through since time immemorial, it isn't
    a terribly helpful observation. And they clearly *are* using FrontPage
    extensions, since the OP states that rsync and RoboCopy leave "the front
    page extensions and navigation/etc [...] broken".

    Not everyone reads the literature even well enough to know about
    well-known problems like FrontPage. Whether such ignorance deserves to
    be punished by such open-ended retribution is arguable, and I think I'd
    come down on the "no" side.

    The only mistake they made was trusting the vendor to provide secure
    solutions ...

    [Andrew: sorry to drag you into this discussion - I don't know whether
    you were aware of FrontPage's security issues or not. If not, you should
    certainly think about reading up on them].

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Sep 1, 2007
  6. Re: Automation and scheduling of FrontPage publishing using Python

    In message <>, Steve
    Holden wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> If they were using FrontPage extensions, they deserve everything they
    >> get.

    > While possibly justifiable, given that FrontPage has had holes you could
    > drive a London double-decker but through since time immemorial, it isn't
    > a terribly helpful observation.

    Just to remove any possible doubt: FrontPage must die.

    But if you want that expressed in less confrontational, more
    customer-friendly words, how about this:

    They need to engage the services of an expensive consultant or two, who will
    bill them lots of hours working out an approach which may involve migrating
    to a technology with better long-term prospects, or simply stitching
    together a Frankenhack or two to eke a bit more life out of their existing
    system, until it finally collapses altogether.

    Either way, they need to spend the folding stuff, and lots of it. Asking for
    help on a forum where people are more liable to throw brainpower rather
    than money at problems, is a waste of time.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 1, 2007

    Re: Automation and scheduling of FrontPage publishing using Python

    On Sep 1, 3:19 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Steve
    >
    > Holden wrote:
    > > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > >> If they were using FrontPage extensions, they deserve everything they
    > >> get.

    > > While possibly justifiable, given that FrontPage has had holes you could
    > > drive a London double-decker but through since time immemorial, it isn't
    > > a terribly helpful observation.

    > Just to remove any possible doubt: FrontPage must die.
    >
    > But if you want that expressed in less confrontational, more
    > customer-friendly words, how about this:
    >
    > They need to engage the services of an expensive consultant or two, who will
    > bill them lots of hours working out an approach which may involve migrating
    > to a technology with better long-term prospects, or simply stitching
    > together a Frankenhack or two to eke a bit more life out of their existing
    > system, until it finally collapses altogether.
    >
    > Either way, they need to spend the folding stuff, and lots of it. Asking for
    > help on a forum where people are more liable to throw brainpower rather
    > than money at problems, is a waste of time.

    ROFL.

    Yes.. I know all about Front Page's issues and would be one of the
    first to say it should be abandoned.

    Regrettably it is a situation I have been "drafted" into.

    Management knows I do a lot of work with WebSphere MQSeries and
    WebSphere Application server.

    They saw the "web" in those and figured I would be the perfect
    resource for solving their problem.

    In any case, convincing management and our so-called web developers to
    stop using the extensions is an up-hill struggle at best.

    I am working that angle but my expectations are low so I figured I
    would pose the question here.

    , Sep 2, 2007
  8. Jerry Guest

    Re: Automation and scheduling of FrontPage publishing using Python

    andrew,

    I would try looking into Windows automation with Python.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=windows automation python should get
    you started. The winGuiAuto package may help you out as it is like
    have a human click and move throughout the interface. The only
    downside is that there is no recorder to help you build the script, so
    I would try to do as much in VBA as you can (does FrontPage even
    support VBA?) and then just write your python script to get through
    the program enough to execute the macro.

    Jerry, Sep 2, 2007

    On Sep 1, 10:48 pm, Jerry <> wrote:
    > andrew,
    >
    > I would try looking into Windows automation with Python.http://www.google.com/search?q=windows automation pythonshould get
    > you started. The winGuiAuto package may help you out as it is like
    > have a human click and move throughout the interface. The only
    > downside is that there is no recorder to help you build the script, so
    > I would try to do as much in VBA as you can (does FrontPage even
    > support VBA?) and then just write your python script to get through
    > the program enough to execute the macro.

    Yes.. Front page can be run by VB macro but I really did not want to
    go down that road if it could be avoided.

    This looks very promising.

    I've installed the module and run a couple of the basic examples..

    Very cool.

    , Sep 2, 2007

    Re: Automation and scheduling of FrontPage publishing using Python

    On Sep 2, 4:22 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On Sep 1, 10:48 pm, Jerry <> wrote:
    >
    > > andrew,

    > > I would try looking into Windows automation with Python.http://www.google.com/search?q=windows automation pythonshouldget
    > > you started. The winGuiAuto package may help you out as it is like
    > > have a human click and move throughout the interface. The only
    > > downside is that there is no recorder to help you build the script, so
    > > I would try to do as much in VBA as you can (does FrontPage even
    > > support VBA?) and then just write your python script to get through
    > > the program enough to execute the macro.

    > Yes.. Front page can be run by VB macro but I really did not want to
    > go down that road if it could be avoided.
    >
    > This looks very promising.
    >
    > I've installed the module and run a couple of the basic examples..
    >
    > Very cool.

    After a bit of patience, I was able to get this to work.

    Still fine-tuning the process but the basic elements are there.

    What is interesting is that once I submitted the proof-of-concept
    code, management decided that they would like to see what other
    companies are doing for this requirement and weigh the pros/cons of
    this approach.

    , Sep 3, 2007