autopopulate input fields

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Darren, Oct 20, 2007.

  1. Darren

    Darren Guest

    Hi there.

    I am a hobbyist with no formal background in computer programming.
    Although years ago I’ve dabbled with a bit of the Microsoft QBasic and
    very simple MS-DOS batch files, javascript is new to me and after about
    2-3 weeks of googling, javascript is still clear as mud.

    I have been tinkering with a form and have developed a working
    calculator with the help of a excel add-in, which exports excel formulas
    to html/javascript code. Everything works fine but I would like to add a
    bit of functionality to the program. As it stands right now, all the
    form field values must be entered in manually. A lot of the values that
    would be entered would be preset for long periods. I would like to load
    the preset plan names and values into a configuration file and through a
    javascript dropdown menu system (CooljsMenu), auto-populate the form
    fields with the preset values once a plan is selected.

    What I hope to accomplish in the final product is:

    1) Retrieve plan information from an external configuration file - (all
    files local)
    2) Populate a drop down menu system using the plan names from that
    configuration file - (about 50 plans)
    3) Auto populate form fields with plan characteristics when a plan is
    selected from the drop down menu. - (about 6 values per plan)

    This is all way over my head right now and this project is just a hobby
    that I would like to complete. Any suggestions, tips, guidance, links to
    resource information would be greatly appreciated.

    I really have no idea where to start.

    Thanks,
    Darren

    Darren, Oct 20, 2007