    Where do I start looking?

    Regards
    /Oscar
    Oscar Thornell, Nov 4, 2003

  2. The only way to truly get a "push" going is to have your local computer set
    up with a port listener, which the server can connect to in order to
    broadcast information to. Otherwise, the server has nothing to connect to,
    and hence no way to communicate anything. So, your options are to implement
    such a listener (which you don't want to do) or else simulate a listener by
    polling occasionally (which you also don't want to do), so in this situation
    you have to choose the lesser of two evils. It's less invasive (and asking
    less of your users) to have a polling mechanism - setting up a listening
    service increases the attack surface of your users' machines. How you
    implement that are the mechanisms that you enumerated - you need code
    running on the users' machines, be it script, ActiveX, or JVM/.NET embedded
    applications.

    --
    Chris Jackson
    Software Engineer

    "Oscar Thornell" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a technique where you from the serverside push/update a
    > standard web browser with small piceces of data. An exempel could be

    sports
    > result or stock exchange information.
    >
    > I do not want to use Java Applets, ActiveX controls or force the clients

    > download .NET Assemblies (and install the .NET Runtime...)
    >
    > If at all possible I do not want to use some sort of Javascript loop where

    > client script executes at certain time intervals and checks for new

    data...

    > I want the server to keep track of the clients/session and target them

    with

    Chris Jackson, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Ok! Thnks..for the help!

    /O