Available C++ Libraries FAQ

Discussion in 'C++' started by Nikki Locke, May 30, 2005.

  1. Nikki Locke

    Nikki Locke Guest

    Archive-name: C++-faq/libraries/part1
    Comp-lang-c++-archive-name: C++-faq/libraries/part1

    Available C++ Libraries FAQ
    ===========================

    Introduction
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dos and don'ts - (Mostly don'ts)

    - Do not reply to the posting of this list in the newsgroup, quoting the entire
    text. I get an average of one mail like this per month, which I have to pay to download.
    - Do not send me mail asking for help with your programming - unless you are
    willing to pay my normal daily rate for consultancy. Free advice is
    available from Usenet newsgroups like comp.lang.c++.
    - Do not send me mail asking if there is a library to do a particular task. All
    the libraries I know about are in this list.
    - I do not actually have copies of the libraries in the list. I do not
    evaluate the libraries in the list, I just collect together information
    sent in by the authors or others. So it's no use asking me how good a
    particular library is, or, indeed, anything about them that isn't already
    in the list.
    - If you want me to include your library in the list, send in a
    submission. Do not just send in a URL, and expect me to pay to connect to the Internet,
    download your Web page(s) and summarise them. That's your job.

    Due to the increasing size of this list, and problems with updating the
    automatic poster at rtfm.mit.edu, the full list is now only available on
    the Web (at "http://www.trumphurst.com/cpplibs/" and
    "http://purl.oclc.org/NET/C++Libraries").

    Only this pointer is now submitted to comp.lang.c++ and
    news.answers, and is available for public ftp (along with all the other
    Usenet FAQ lists) at rtfm.mit.edu (18.70.0.209), in file
    pub/usenet-by-group/comp.lang.c++/C++-faq/libraries/part1).

    Rtfm.mit.edu also has a mail server - send a mail message containing
    "usenet-by-group/comp.answers/C++-faq/libraries/part1" to
    . If you want to find out more about the mail
    server, send a message to it containing "help".

    Marshall Cline's C++ FAQ should also be available from rtfm - the files
    are called _posting_#1_4, _posting_#2_4, _posting_#3_4 and _posting_#4_4,
    and they are in directory pub/usenet-by-group/comp.lang.c++/. Marshall
    tells me that rtfm often has an old copy, and that the latest copy is
    always available on his <a href="http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/">Web page.

    Please mail comments, criticisms, additions and amendments to me at
    . However, please DO NOT mail me with requests for
    assistance in finding files mentioned in the list. I am unable to provide
    such a service. Definite information such as "file xyz is no longer at
    site xxx" IS welcome - even better if you can tell me an alternative site
    where it can be found. If you are new to the Internet, try to find out
    about tools such as archie, whois, www, gopher etc. I recommend the
    newsgroups "news.announce.newusers" and "news.answers" for starters. See
    also the Web "roadmap" to such services listed below.

    Web version of the list http://www.trumphurst.com/cpplibs/
    A Web form to add your submission to the list http://www.trumphurst.com/cppsub.html
    Mail a submission to the list
    C++ directory at rtfm ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/comp.lang.c /
    Newsgroup for C++ learners alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++
    Main C++ newsgroup comp.lang.c++
    Trumphurst Home Page http://www.trumphurst.com/

    --
    Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd. PC & Unix consultancy & programming
    http://www.trumphurst.com/
    Nikki Locke, May 30, 2005