Available C++ Libraries FAQ

Discussion in 'C++' started by Nikki Locke, Jul 1, 2008.

  1. Nikki Locke

    Nikki Locke Guest

    Nikki Locke, Jul 1, 2008

  2. Nikki Locke wrote:

    I suggest you change "public domain" to "free" in that page. Public
    Domain means that the library has no copyright. That's basically never
    the case, and thus wrong. (AFAIK the only truely PD code in existence is
    the ones published by some governments which have a law that anything
    published by the government is PD. Anything made by individuals is
    copyrighted.)
    Juha Nieminen, Jul 1, 2008

  3. Nikki Locke

    Nikki Locke Guest

    On Jul 1, 6:55 pm, Juha Nieminen <> wrote:
    > Nikki Locke wrote:
    > > URL:http://www.trumphurst.com/cpplibs/

    >   I suggest you change "public domain" to "free" in that page.

    Good idea - I've done that.
    Nikki Locke, Jul 1, 2008
  4. Nikki Locke

    James Kanze Guest

    On Jul 1, 7:55 pm, Juha Nieminen <> wrote:
    > Nikki Locke wrote:
    > > URL:http://www.trumphurst.com/cpplibs/

    > I suggest you change "public domain" to "free" in that page. Public
    > Domain means that the library has no copyright. That's basically never
    > the case, and thus wrong. (AFAIK the only truely PD code in existence is
    > the ones published by some governments which have a law that anything
    > published by the government is PD. Anything made by individuals is
    > copyrighted.)

    Unless they explicitly put it into the public domain. Or after
    the copyright expires (usually 70 years after the death of the
    author today, at least in Europe, but it can vary---anything
    published before 1923 in the United states is now in the public
    domain, for example). Of course, there probably aren't many C++
    libraries in the first case, and and probably none where the
    second case applies.

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:
    James Kanze, Jul 2, 2008