Avoid having a SQL express for web parts and avoid personalization

Roger23

I have a requirement where I need to remove or disable the entire
personalization feature of my web application. I am not allowed to have
a SQL express on my web server and I am not allowed to have any SQL
Express or any SQL server for that matter. how do i disable the entire
personalization of my application. i tried:

<webParts >
<personalization defaultProvider="">
<providers>
<clear/>
</providers>
</personalization>
</webParts>

I tired so many permutations and combinations with the above settings
and still it expects a connectionstring no matter what. I weould prefer
not to tinker with the config files in the framework directory. Can I
not get the same behavior of ASP.NET 1.1? your help is much appreciated.

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

webparts is built on personalization, and is the only supported way to use
personalization. using the webpartmanager you can disable personalization.
add to each page:

<asp:webpartmanager runat=server id=myid personalization-enable=false>

this allows the web part to not use personalization. if webparts still tries
to connect, then you will have to provide a dummy peronalization provider.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Roger23

thanks for the reply. i was trying to remove web parts altogether in my
app. i did and when i removed my connectionstring it was complaining. I
removed the webpart manager from my master page and now its ok. i dont
have to give a conn str anymore. thanks for your time!