avoiding GCLK

Mastupristi

I use Xilinx ise web pack 6.1 sp 2.

In my project I have a signal that is used as clock in only one flip
flop.
I have a constrain that place this signal on a generic iob.

in the map process I obtain the following error:
Using target part "2s50eft256-6".
ERROR:MapLib:93 - Illegal LOC on IPAD symbol "din<0>" or BUFGP symbol
"din_0_BUFGP" (output signal=din_0_BUFGP), IPAD-IBUFG should only be
LOCed to GCLKIOB site.

How can I force this signal to be placed in a non-GCLK pin?
There is some vhdl directive?

thanks

Mike Treseler

Mastupristi said:
In my project I have a signal that is used as clock in only one flip
flop.
How can I force this signal to be placed in a non-GCLK pin?
There is some vhdl directive?

Consider using a clock enable input rather than
having two clocks.

-- Mike Treseler

Marc Guardiani

Mastupristi said:
I use Xilinx ise web pack 6.1 sp 2.

In my project I have a signal that is used as clock in only one flip
flop.
I have a constrain that place this signal on a generic iob.

in the map process I obtain the following error:
Using target part "2s50eft256-6".
ERROR:MapLib:93 - Illegal LOC on IPAD symbol "din<0>" or BUFGP symbol
"din_0_BUFGP" (output signal=din_0_BUFGP), IPAD-IBUFG should only be
LOCed to GCLKIOB site.

How can I force this signal to be placed in a non-GCLK pin?
There is some vhdl directive?

thanks

Since you have only 1 flip flop to be clocked, you don't need a global
clock net. (The global clock net is to allow you to clock many flip
flops simultaneously with little skew.) So don't use the IBUFG, use a
simple IBUF (or nothing at all if this is a pure VHDL design). You will
simply incur the delay from the I/O pad to the clock of the flip flop.

Duane Clark

Mastupristi said:
I use Xilinx ise web pack 6.1 sp 2.

In my project I have a signal that is used as clock in only one flip
flop.
I have a constrain that place this signal on a generic iob.

in the map process I obtain the following error:
Using target part "2s50eft256-6".
ERROR:MapLib:93 - Illegal LOC on IPAD symbol "din<0>" or BUFGP symbol
"din_0_BUFGP" (output signal=din_0_BUFGP), IPAD-IBUFG should only be
LOCed to GCLKIOB site.

How can I force this signal to be placed in a non-GCLK pin?
There is some vhdl directive?

Did you try:
attribute clock_buffer: string;
attribute clock_buffer of ONEFFCLK: signal is "ibuf";

Rienk van der Scheer

Marc said:
Since you have only 1 flip flop to be clocked, you don't need a global
clock net. (The global clock net is to allow you to clock many flip
flops simultaneously with little skew.) So don't use the IBUFG, use a
simple IBUF (or nothing at all if this is a pure VHDL design). You will
simply incur the delay from the I/O pad to the clock of the flip flop.

The problem is that XST automatically instantiates an IBUFG component
for all clock-like signals (also in plain VHDL). To avoid this you can
instantiate an IBUF explicitly. This will solve the "Illegal LOC
constraint" error.

/Rienk

Marc Guardiani

Does it do this even if you turn off "automatically add I/O buffers" (or
words to that effect)?

Rienk van der Scheer

Marc said:
Does it do this even if you turn off "automatically add I/O buffers" (or
words to that effect)?

I wasn't aware of that option, but when you read the online help, you
know no I/O buffers are added when this option is off. In that case you
have to add all I/O buffers manually in your VHDL design.

/Rienk

sharat babu

Hi...

First of all check wether u have constrained any signals with respect
this generic clocks..if yes that is the root cause of the
problem..else if no then u just assign the buffer as ibuf instead of
ibufg...this should solve the problem..

sharat