Avoiding pop up blockers?

Mike Barnard

Hi.

I went onto a website to buy some brake discs for my car yesterday.
The payment screen wanted to refer me to my bank for a direct
confirmation that it was really me using my card, but the referall was
blocked by IE7's pop up blocker. Therefore the transaction failed.

I've been emailing tech at the company and they say they don't know
how to overcome this. I'm just an amateur at HTML so *I* don't know.
Is there a way for them to redirect to a banks (I assume secure)
server without activating it? In fact, for my education, what DOES
activate the pop up blocker?

Thanks.

Andy Dingley

The payment screen wanted to refer me to my bank for a direct
confirmation that it was really me using my card, but the referall was
blocked by IE7's pop up blocker.

A decent ad blocker will let you whitelist sites by name where you
need to permit popups. Usually the "blocked popup" warning will give
you a dialog and an easy option to permit them for that site, for one
session.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Mike Barnard
Hi.

I went onto a website to buy some brake discs for my car yesterday.
The payment screen wanted to refer me to my bank for a direct
confirmation that it was really me using my card, but the referall was
blocked by IE7's pop up blocker. Therefore the transaction failed.

I've been emailing tech at the company and they say they don't know
how to overcome this. I'm just an amateur at HTML so *I* don't know.
Is there a way for them to redirect to a banks (I assume secure)
server without activating it? In fact, for my education, what DOES
activate the pop up blocker?

Thanks.

As Andy said, you should be able to put the site on a whitelist.

However, that is bad coding on the company's part, and their tech
department should know a) how to overcome it b) how to revamp their
application so that does not happen to other customers. I have made a
few ecommerce sites, and I have never had to resort to a popup to verify
the user on the client side. That should all be done server side, with
maybe a little client side validation (well formed fields), server side
validation of all input on the server and submission of valid data to
the gateway.

Frankly, unless I had been to the brick and mortar version of the site
and was a previous customer, I would think twice about doing business
with them. If they are depending on this type of client side
validation, they are probably doing other things that are also less
secure, or just plain wrong.

Mike Barnard

A decent ad blocker will let you whitelist sites by name where you
need to permit popups. Usually the "blocked popup" warning will give
you a dialog and an easy option to permit them for that site, for one
session.

IE did just that, but when I told it to allow the pop up it dropped
back to the start of the online catalogue.

Turns out it's a flash based catalogue and they only allow this
system. Oh well, their choice.

Thanks anyway.

Andy Dingley

I have made a
few ecommerce sites, and I have never had to resort to a popup to verify
the user on the client side.

You may not have the option. There are some 3rd party payment gateways
that trigger this, and one of the bank's own "verified card status"
additional checks still kicks in its own popup. These are all outside
the control of the "site developer" themself.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Andy Dingley
You may not have the option. There are some 3rd party payment gateways
that trigger this, and one of the bank's own "verified card status"
additional checks still kicks in its own popup. These are all outside
the control of the "site developer" themself.

That's bad. I would probably advise a client not to use such a gateway.

Travis Newbury

Turns out it's a flash based catalogue and they only allow this
system.

What you mean is it is a badly designed Flash catalog. Besides, IMOHO
E-Commerce should not be Flash based.
Oh well, their choice.

Yep. By the way, what is this company, I would like to make a little
money from them.

Chris F.A. Johnson

I went onto a website to buy some brake discs for my car yesterday.
The payment screen wanted to refer me to my bank for a direct
confirmation that it was really me using my card, but the referall was
blocked by IE7's pop up blocker. Therefore the transaction failed.

Have you tried using Firefox?

Mike Barnard

What you mean is it is a badly designed Flash catalog. Besides, IMOHO
E-Commerce should not be Flash based.

Yep. By the way, what is this company, I would like to make a little
money from them.

www.brakesint.co.uk/

The 'buy online' button brings up a big set of pictures and car makes.
None of it does anthing, just the red "no fuss" button, top left.

Very pretty, but ultimately bad to use from the customers point of
view.

Fill ya boots!

Travis Newbury

Oh that is horrible... The first clue that this was done by someone
that does not know actionscript is the load screen. A good Flash
developer would never have a load screen. there is no need for on
unless you use the time line, and using the time line is how the
people that came from the marketing or atr background do things in
Flash. Someone that comes from a software development background uses
actionscript for just about everything. That makes your Flash small
and fast.