AW: [ann] AEditor 0.10, folding added

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Recheis Meinrad, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. > Try out AEditor and tell me if AEditor works on your
    > machine. Please report if there is any problems.
    > Ideas + Suggestions for improvements is welcome :)
    >
    > http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=aeditor

    No replies ?

    they dont mean to ignore your post intentionally, but
    you know, there is a really good editor distributed with ruby.

    SciTe. That's the reason why i haven't tried AEd. I allready got
    familiar with SciTe.

    I would also interested in your opinion guys.
    going to test AEditor now ....

    [snip]
    > --
    > Simon Strandgaard

    - Henon

    Recheis Meinrad, Aug 12, 2003

  2. On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 02:56:48 +0900, Recheis Meinrad wrote:

    >> Try out AEditor and tell me if AEditor works on your
    >> machine. Please report if there is any problems.
    >> Ideas + Suggestions for improvements is welcome :)
    >>
    >> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=aeditor

    > No replies ?

    until simon.too_many_answers?
    wait
    replies += 1
    end

    > they dont mean to ignore your post intentionally, but
    > you know, there is a really good editor distributed with ruby.
    > SciTe. That's the reason why i haven't tried AEd. I allready got
    > familiar with SciTe.

    Yes, SciTe is a decent editor. Hopefully one day AEditor can replace it.
    Internally SciTe is using the rich-edit-widget, Scintilla.
    Scintilla is unfortunatly written in C++ and has no unittesting.
    Otherwise its quite nice.

    FreeRIDE is using Scintilla as its editor-widget. I hope one day to
    entirely replace Scintilla-widget with the AEditor-widget.

    also IntelliJ-Idea has many nice features which I hope AEditor will get.
    http://www.intellij.com/idea/
    examples of its features [ripped from intelliJ's feature list]:
    * rename method, The renaming functionality allows you to rename any
    package, class, method or variable and automatically finds and corrects
    all references to it.
    * Moving classes and packages with reference correction.
    * extract method, Select a block of code and invoke Extract Method to
    turn it into a method. It will automatically analyze the code to
    detect which variables of the original method must be passed to the
    extracted method as parameters.
    * etc.. 30 refactoring operations ..

    If we had an IDE for Ruby with such features... wow.
    I will do my best in order to create such refactoring tools for ruby.

    > I would also interested in your opinion guys.
    > going to test AEditor now ....

    Great.. tell me what you think :)

    --
    Simon Strandgaard