Aw shoot

Jim S

I just looked at my website on Vista.
The positioning of images on some pages are all over the screen while some
are centred as they should be. All are 'strict' HTML and CSS which validate
I thought it worked fine and I have tried it on all manner of machines, but
now realise that they are all XP based.
What do I do?
Would a move to XHTML solve the problem, because if so then that's the
direction I will go, but since there are more than 500 pages I should not
like to set off on a wild goose chase.

rf

Jim S said:
I just looked at my website on Vista.

Vista is not a web browser, it's an operating system. You probably mean IE8.
The positioning of images on some pages are all over the screen while
some
are centred as they should be. All are 'strict' HTML and CSS which
validate
I thought it worked fine and I have tried it on all manner of machines,
but
now realise that they are all XP based.

If you mean Windows XP than that also is an operating systme, not a browser.

So, what does "XP based" mean? Do you mean you designed them for IE6?
What do I do?
Would a move to XHTML solve the problem,

That would not solve the problem at all.
because if so then that's the
direction I will go, but since there are more than 500 pages I should not
like to set off on a wild goose chase.

If that is the site you are talking about then you are running the browser
in quirks mode, where IE for one carefully reproduces all the bugs back to
release 5. You are relying on those bugs and IE8 does it differently.

Change your doctype (or rather add one) to trigger standards mode and see
what happens.

BTW you have validation errors, apart from the missing doctype.

Jonathan N. Little

Jim said:
I just looked at my website on Vista.
The positioning of images on some pages are all over the screen while some
are centred as they should be. All are 'strict' HTML and CSS which validate
I thought it worked fine and I have tried it on all manner of machines, but
now realise that they are all XP based.

I don't think is it Vista per se, but that you are now using IE8 which
displays your site more closely as Firefox and compliant browsers do.
Although your component pages are All are 'strict' your assemblage with
frames triggers quirks mode. You were probably getting a distorted view
in WinXP with IE6 or 7.
What do I do?
Would a move to XHTML solve the problem, because if so then that's the
direction I will go, but since there are more than 500 pages I should not
like to set off on a wild goose chase.

No, XHTML will most assuredly *not* help your situation. I see two
viable options.

1) Fa-get-about-dit. The New Jersey it ain't that bad so don't worry.
2) Replace frames with server side includes so that your documents do
not trigger quirks mode in the browser.

Jim S

I don't think is it Vista per se, but that you are now using IE8 which
displays your site more closely as Firefox and compliant browsers do.
Although your component pages are All are 'strict' your assemblage with
frames triggers quirks mode. You were probably getting a distorted view
in WinXP with IE6 or 7.

It all looks fine at my end on any browser.
No, XHTML will most assuredly *not* help your situation. I see two
viable options.

1) Fa-get-about-dit. The New Jersey it ain't that bad so don't worry.
2) Replace frames with server side includes so that your documents do
not trigger quirks mode in the browser.

Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
I use no frames.
I used to use tables to centralise all the pages, but was recommended (in
this group) not to do so.

The problem I'm raising now arises after viewing the site on my son's
high-res widescreen laptop where some pages are ok, some have the images
central and the buttons on the left and on some 'everything' is on the
left.

rf

Jim S said:
It all looks fine at my end on any browser.

Please report exactly which browsers and which versions. And you didn't tell
us that first up.

Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
I use no frames.

If your server is putting frames around your pages then it's time to get a
different host.

When I look at http://www.jimscott.co.uk/ I see a frameset. Here is is:
<head>
<title>Jim Scott's Website</title>
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="Photographs of Tyneside and around,
with link to Christ Church Guild of Change Ringers">
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Jim Scott, Christ Church, North Shields,
Tyne, Bellringer, Bellringers, Belfry, Change ringers, change ringing,
campanology">
<META NAME="revisit-after" content="5 days">
</head>

<frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">

<noframes>
</noframes>
<frame name="main" src="http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk" scrolling="auto">
</frameset>

That frameset is putting the browser into quirks mode. That frameset is also
nothing like I have ever seen a server put around a page. This looks very
much like a frameset you have coded yourself.

What happens when you view http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?
I used to use tables to centralise all the pages, but was recommended (in
this group) not to do so.

What does that mean?
The problem I'm raising now arises after viewing the site on my son's
high-res widescreen laptop

The resolution of the screen has nothing at all to do (in this case) with
the layout of your page.
where some pages are ok, some have the images
central and the buttons on the left and on some 'everything' is on the
left.

You didn't tell us that either. Exactly which browser and exactly which
version is your son using? Exactly which pages are ok. Exactly which pages
are wrong. Provide an example, with a description of how it is wrong.

What happens when your son views http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?

dorayme

Jim S said:
Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
I use no frames.

Get a standard hosting service that does not play these tricks.

dorayme

When I look at http://www.jimscott.co.uk/ I see a frameset. Here it is:
<head>
<title>Jim Scott's Website</title>

<frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">

To see this, Jim, use your browser's View Source menu. I am
surprised you have not seen this. How are you validating your
pages? You have obviously gone to some trouble to make them valid
4.01 Strict too - good, of course. How did you get them that way
without using the online validator from where you got your
'validated' logos?

Jim S

To see this, Jim, use your browser's View Source menu. I am
surprised you have not seen this. How are you validating your
pages? You have obviously gone to some trouble to make them valid
4.01 Strict too - good, of course. How did you get them that way
without using the online validator from where you got your
'validated' logos?

Hi again dorayme - long time...

I did all the validating from my website on my own server
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk then pointed jimscott.co.uk to it.
However this is irrelevant as the positioning errors occur whichever site I
view from, ie jimscott or myby.
I validate with MS Expression Web and if necessary with W3C.
I now also notice that when I go to the bellringers part of the site, I
lose the background image and the buttons do not render properly ie they
show as a 'pointed list'.

Jim S

[...]

It occurs with both IE8 and FF latest
All pages should be centred.

rf

Jim S said:
It occurs with both IE8 and FF latest
All pages should be centred.

FFS Jim that is not an answer to the individual questions I asked above.

If you cannot answer my questions the I for one have no further time to
waste trying to guess what yours is.

You are on your bloody own.

Jim S

FFS Jim that is not an answer to the individual questions I asked above.

If you cannot answer my questions the I for one have no further time to
waste trying to guess what yours is.

You are on your bloody own.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jonathan N. Little

Ed said:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Oh, now, Jonathan. You obviously aren't from New Jersey or its environs.
The correct phraseology is:

"Fugeddaboudit!"

Wasn't sure how it is 'officially" spelt. I'm originally a Nutmegger but
here in central VA there are more New Jerseans than you can shake a
stick at...
Well, you might be right about that but my concern here is only the
phraseololgy.

? I guess I am being dense, I don't follow.
:-D

Trust me. Until you've heard the story of my 1990 delivery of my Sony TV
set ... well, nevuh mind!

Hmmmmm now that might be interesting.

Jim S

Bah humbug.

You still have not answered the bloody questions.

You want help here or not?

OK let's start again.
The website www.jimscott.co.uk is really the site www.jimscot.myby.co.uk.
Up until yesterday it showed pages of photos, all of which: titles,
pictures and nav buttons were centred on ANY browser I used (and still are
on mine).
Yesterday I viewed the site on a laptop which used Vista to display IE8 and
FF 3.6 browsers. In both of these the centring of images depended on the
page. If you flit through the local history pages you will see what I mean.
Sometimes the title/graphic/buttons is/are on the left sometimes one or
all of them is centred as I would like.
On my original website I used tables as placeholders and was chastised by
folks here as that being 'bad form'.
I went through the site removing tables except where there are several
pictures as they seem to work best. Indeed those pages which use tables are
working best and since there are 500+ pages, I wish I had never changed -
under the 'If it works don't fix it' principle.
I have removed the frame that was put there by my domain host, but I think
that was a red-herring.
The pages all validate as strict HTML with W3C.

Now ask your questions.

Neredbojias

[...]

I dunno, I've looked twice now in both ie8 and ff3.6 and see nothing
particularly amiss. You sure there's nothing wrong with your son's
computer?

Jim S

I dunno, I've looked twice now in both ie8 and ff3.6 and see nothing
particularly amiss. You sure there's nothing wrong with your son's
computer?

You have us thinking now.
It works ok in IE8 compatibility mode, but this page is giving trouble in
Firefox (on his) as it does not give the background image or render the
buttons correctly.
Can you try it for me at your end in both.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/bells/index.html

C A Upsdell

You have us thinking now.
It works ok in IE8 compatibility mode, but this page is giving trouble in
Firefox (on his) as it does not give the background image or render the
buttons correctly.
Can you try it for me at your end in both.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/bells/index.html

The buttons are 88x31, which is a standard size used by some ads and
which therefore may be blocked by some ad blockers.

Jim S

The buttons are 88x31, which is a standard size used by some ads and
which therefore may be blocked by some ad blockers.

No trouble seeing the buttons altho' sometimes not where they should be.
The bells index page above should have maroon background with gold bell
logos repeating.
On the laptop I am having problems with, the background is white and the
'buttons' have a list-dot on them on one of the browsers.