    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk
    Jim S, Jan 30, 2010

  2. Jim S

    rf Guest

    "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    news:1a08k58m1w3wn$...
    >I just looked at my website on Vista.

    Vista is not a web browser, it's an operating system. You probably mean IE8.

    > The positioning of images on some pages are all over the screen while
    > some
    > are centred as they should be. All are 'strict' HTML and CSS which
    > validate
    > I thought it worked fine and I have tried it on all manner of machines,
    > but

    > now realise that they are all XP based.

    If you mean Windows XP than that also is an operating systme, not a browser.

    So, what does "XP based" mean? Do you mean you designed them for IE6?

    > What do I do?
    > Would a move to XHTML solve the problem,

    That would not solve the problem at all.

    > because if so then that's the
    > direction I will go, but since there are more than 500 pages I should not
    > like to set off on a wild goose chase.
    > --
    > Jim S
    > Tyneside UK
    > www.jimscott.co.uk

    If that is the site you are talking about then you are running the browser
    in quirks mode, where IE for one carefully reproduces all the bugs back to
    release 5. You are relying on those bugs and IE8 does it differently.

    Change your doctype (or rather add one) to trigger standards mode and see
    what happens.

    BTW you have validation errors, apart from the missing doctype.
    rf, Jan 30, 2010

  3. Jim S wrote:
    > I just looked at my website on Vista.
    > The positioning of images on some pages are all over the screen while some
    > are centred as they should be. All are 'strict' HTML and CSS which validate
    > I thought it worked fine and I have tried it on all manner of machines, but
    > now realise that they are all XP based.

    I don't think is it Vista per se, but that you are now using IE8 which
    displays your site more closely as Firefox and compliant browsers do.
    Although your component pages are All are 'strict' your assemblage with
    frames triggers quirks mode. You were probably getting a distorted view
    in WinXP with IE6 or 7.

    > What do I do?
    > Would a move to XHTML solve the problem, because if so then that's the
    > direction I will go, but since there are more than 500 pages I should not
    > like to set off on a wild goose chase.

    No, XHTML will most assuredly *not* help your situation. I see two
    viable options.

    1) Fa-get-about-dit. The New Jersey it ain't that bad so don't worry.
    2) Replace frames with server side includes so that your documents do
    not trigger quirks mode in the browser.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 30, 2010
  4. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:08:33 -0500, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >> I just looked at my website on Vista.
    >> The positioning of images on some pages are all over the screen while some
    >> are centred as they should be. All are 'strict' HTML and CSS which validate
    >> I thought it worked fine and I have tried it on all manner of machines, but
    >> now realise that they are all XP based.

    > I don't think is it Vista per se, but that you are now using IE8 which
    > displays your site more closely as Firefox and compliant browsers do.
    > Although your component pages are All are 'strict' your assemblage with
    > frames triggers quirks mode. You were probably getting a distorted view
    > in WinXP with IE6 or 7.

    It all looks fine at my end on any browser.

    >> What do I do?
    >> Would a move to XHTML solve the problem, because if so then that's the
    >> direction I will go, but since there are more than 500 pages I should not
    >> like to set off on a wild goose chase.

    > No, XHTML will most assuredly *not* help your situation. I see two
    > viable options.
    >
    > 1) Fa-get-about-dit. The New Jersey it ain't that bad so don't worry.
    > 2) Replace frames with server side includes so that your documents do
    > not trigger quirks mode in the browser.

    Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
    I use no frames.
    I used to use tables to centralise all the pages, but was recommended (in
    this group) not to do so.

    The problem I'm raising now arises after viewing the site on my son's
    high-res widescreen laptop where some pages are ok, some have the images
    central and the buttons on the left and on some 'everything' is on the
    left.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Jan 30, 2010
  5. Jim S

    rf Guest

    "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:08:33 -0500, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:
    >>> I just looked at my website on Vista.
    >>> The positioning of images on some pages are all over the screen while
    >>> some
    >>> are centred as they should be. All are 'strict' HTML and CSS which
    >>> validate
    >>> I thought it worked fine and I have tried it on all manner of machines,
    >>> but
    >>> now realise that they are all XP based.

    >> I don't think is it Vista per se, but that you are now using IE8 which
    >> displays your site more closely as Firefox and compliant browsers do.
    >> Although your component pages are All are 'strict' your assemblage with
    >> frames triggers quirks mode. You were probably getting a distorted view
    >> in WinXP with IE6 or 7.

    > It all looks fine at my end on any browser.

    Please report exactly which browsers and which versions. And you didn't tell
    us that first up.

    >>> What do I do?
    >>> Would a move to XHTML solve the problem, because if so then that's the
    >>> direction I will go, but since there are more than 500 pages I should
    >>> not
    >>> like to set off on a wild goose chase.

    >> No, XHTML will most assuredly *not* help your situation. I see two
    >> viable options.
    >>
    >> 1) Fa-get-about-dit. The New Jersey it ain't that bad so don't worry.
    >> 2) Replace frames with server side includes so that your documents do
    >> not trigger quirks mode in the browser.

    > Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
    > I use no frames.

    If your server is putting frames around your pages then it's time to get a
    different host.

    When I look at http://www.jimscott.co.uk/ I see a frameset. Here is is:
    <head>
    <title>Jim Scott's Website</title>
    <META NAME="description" CONTENT="Photographs of Tyneside and around,
    with link to Christ Church Guild of Change Ringers">
    <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Jim Scott, Christ Church, North Shields,
    Tyne, Bellringer, Bellringers, Belfry, Change ringers, change ringing,
    campanology">
    <META NAME="revisit-after" content="5 days">
    </head>

    <frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">

    <noframes>
    </noframes>
    <frame name="main" src="http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk" scrolling="auto">
    </frameset>

    That frameset is putting the browser into quirks mode. That frameset is also
    nothing like I have ever seen a server put around a page. This looks very
    much like a frameset you have coded yourself.

    What happens when you view http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?

    > I used to use tables to centralise all the pages, but was recommended (in
    > this group) not to do so.

    What does that mean?

    > The problem I'm raising now arises after viewing the site on my son's
    > high-res widescreen laptop

    The resolution of the screen has nothing at all to do (in this case) with
    the layout of your page.

    > where some pages are ok, some have the images
    > central and the buttons on the left and on some 'everything' is on the
    > left.

    You didn't tell us that either. Exactly which browser and exactly which
    version is your son using? Exactly which pages are ok. Exactly which pages
    are wrong. Provide an example, with a description of how it is wrong.

    What happens when your son views http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?
    rf, Jan 30, 2010
  6. Jim S

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1hgcbg3fb6xeu$>,
    Jim S <> wrote:

    > Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
    > I use no frames.

    Get a standard hosting service that does not play these tricks.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 30, 2010
  7. Jim S

    dorayme Guest

    In article <c9Q8n.4387$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "Jim S" <> wrote in message

    > > Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
    > > I use no frames.

    > If your server is putting frames around your pages then it's time to get a
    > different host.
    >
    > When I look at http://www.jimscott.co.uk/ I see a frameset. Here it is:
    > <head>
    > <title>Jim Scott's Website</title>
    >
    > <frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">

    To see this, Jim, use your browser's View Source menu. I am
    surprised you have not seen this. How are you validating your
    pages? You have obviously gone to some trouble to make them valid
    4.01 Strict too - good, of course. How did you get them that way
    without using the online validator from where you got your
    'validated' logos?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 30, 2010
  8. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 19:27:07 +1100, dorayme wrote:

    > In article <c9Q8n.4387$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Jim S" <> wrote in message

    >>> Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
    >>> I use no frames.

    >> If your server is putting frames around your pages then it's time to get a
    >> different host.
    >>
    >> When I look at http://www.jimscott.co.uk/ I see a frameset. Here it is:
    >> <head>
    >> <title>Jim Scott's Website</title>
    >>
    >> <frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">

    > To see this, Jim, use your browser's View Source menu. I am
    > surprised you have not seen this. How are you validating your
    > pages? You have obviously gone to some trouble to make them valid
    > 4.01 Strict too - good, of course. How did you get them that way
    > without using the online validator from where you got your
    > 'validated' logos?

    Hi again dorayme - long time...

    I did all the validating from my website on my own server
    http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk then pointed jimscott.co.uk to it.
    However this is irrelevant as the positioning errors occur whichever site I
    view from, ie jimscott or myby.
    I validate with MS Expression Web and if necessary with W3C.
    I now also notice that when I go to the bellringers part of the site, I
    lose the background image and the buttons do not render properly ie they
    show as a 'pointed list'.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Jan 30, 2010
  9. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 06:16:40 GMT, rf wrote:

    > "Jim S" <> wrote in message

    >>> I don't think is it Vista per se, but that you are now using IE8 which
    >>> displays your site more closely as Firefox and compliant browsers do.
    >>> Although your component pages are All are 'strict' your assemblage with
    >>> frames triggers quirks mode. You were probably getting a distorted view
    >>> in WinXP with IE6 or 7.

    >> It all looks fine at my end on any browser.

    > Please report exactly which browsers and which versions. And you didn't tell
    > us that first up.

    >>> No, XHTML will most assuredly *not* help your situation. I see two
    >>> viable options.
    >>>
    >>> 1) Fa-get-about-dit. The New Jersey it ain't that bad so don't worry.
    >>> 2) Replace frames with server side includes so that your documents do
    >>> not trigger quirks mode in the browser.

    >> Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
    >> I use no frames.

    > If your server is putting frames around your pages then it's time to get a
    > different host.
    >
    > When I look at http://www.jimscott.co.uk/ I see a frameset. Here is is:
    > <head>
    > <title>Jim Scott's Website</title>
    > <META NAME="description" CONTENT="Photographs of Tyneside and around,
    > with link to Christ Church Guild of Change Ringers">
    > <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Jim Scott, Christ Church, North Shields,
    > Tyne, Bellringer, Bellringers, Belfry, Change ringers, change ringing,
    > campanology">
    > <META NAME="revisit-after" content="5 days">
    > </head>
    >
    > <frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">
    >
    > <noframes>
    > </noframes>
    > <frame name="main" src="http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk" scrolling="auto">
    > </frameset>
    >
    > That frameset is putting the browser into quirks mode. That frameset is also
    > nothing like I have ever seen a server put around a page. This looks very
    > much like a frameset you have coded yourself.
    >
    > What happens when you view http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?
    >
    >> I used to use tables to centralise all the pages, but was recommended (in
    >> this group) not to do so.

    > What does that mean?
    >
    >> The problem I'm raising now arises after viewing the site on my son's
    >> high-res widescreen laptop

    > The resolution of the screen has nothing at all to do (in this case) with
    > the layout of your page.
    >
    >> where some pages are ok, some have the images
    >> central and the buttons on the left and on some 'everything' is on the
    >> left.

    > You didn't tell us that either. Exactly which browser and exactly which
    > version is your son using? Exactly which pages are ok. Exactly which pages
    > are wrong. Provide an example, with a description of how it is wrong.
    >
    > What happens when your son views http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?

    It occurs with both IE8 and FF latest
    All pages should be centred.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Jan 30, 2010
  10. Jim S

    rf Guest

    "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 06:16:40 GMT, rf wrote:
    >
    >> "Jim S" <> wrote in message

    >>> It all looks fine at my end on any browser.

    >> Please report exactly which browsers and which versions. And you didn't
    >> tell
    >> us that first up.

    >>> Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
    >>> I use no frames.

    >> If your server is putting frames around your pages then it's time to get
    >> different host.
    >>
    >> When I look at http://www.jimscott.co.uk/ I see a frameset. Here is is:
    >> <head>
    >> <title>Jim Scott's Website</title>
    >> <META NAME="description" CONTENT="Photographs of Tyneside and around,
    >> with link to Christ Church Guild of Change Ringers">
    >> <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Jim Scott, Christ Church, North
    >> Shields,
    >> Tyne, Bellringer, Bellringers, Belfry, Change ringers, change ringing,
    >> campanology">
    >> <META NAME="revisit-after" content="5 days">
    >> </head>
    >>
    >> <frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">
    >>
    >> <noframes>
    >> them.</p>
    >> </noframes>
    >> <frame name="main" src="http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk"
    >> scrolling="auto">
    >> </frameset>
    >>
    >> That frameset is putting the browser into quirks mode. That frameset is
    >> also
    >> nothing like I have ever seen a server put around a page. This looks very
    >> much like a frameset you have coded yourself.
    >>
    >> What happens when you view http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?
    >>
    >>> I used to use tables to centralise all the pages, but was recommended
    >>> (in
    >>> this group) not to do so.

    >> What does that mean?
    >>
    >>> The problem I'm raising now arises after viewing the site on my son's
    >>> high-res widescreen laptop

    >> The resolution of the screen has nothing at all to do (in this case) with
    >> the layout of your page.
    >>
    >>> where some pages are ok, some have the images
    >>> central and the buttons on the left and on some 'everything' is on the
    >>> left.

    >> You didn't tell us that either. Exactly which browser and exactly which
    >> version is your son using? Exactly which pages are ok. Exactly which
    >> pages
    >> are wrong. Provide an example, with a description of how it is wrong.
    >>
    >> What happens when your son views http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?

    > It occurs with both IE8 and FF latest
    > All pages should be centred.

    FFS Jim that is not an answer to the individual questions I asked above.

    If you cannot answer my questions the I for one have no further time to
    waste trying to guess what yours is.

    You are on your bloody own.
    rf, Jan 30, 2010
  11. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:32:20 GMT, rf wrote:

    > "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 06:16:40 GMT, rf wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Jim S" <> wrote in message

    >>> Please report exactly which browsers and which versions. And you didn't
    >>> tell
    >>> us that first up.

    >>> If your server is putting frames around your pages then it's time to get
    >>> different host.
    >>>
    >>> When I look at http://www.jimscott.co.uk/ I see a frameset. Here is is:
    >>> <head>
    >>> <title>Jim Scott's Website</title>
    >>> <META NAME="description" CONTENT="Photographs of Tyneside and around,
    >>> with link to Christ Church Guild of Change Ringers">
    >>> <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Jim Scott, Christ Church, North
    >>> Shields,
    >>> Tyne, Bellringer, Bellringers, Belfry, Change ringers, change ringing,
    >>> campanology">
    >>> <META NAME="revisit-after" content="5 days">
    >>> </head>
    >>>
    >>> <frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">
    >>>
    >>> <noframes>
    >>> them.</p>
    >>> </noframes>
    >>> <frame name="main" src="http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk"
    >>> scrolling="auto">
    >>> </frameset>
    >>>
    >>> That frameset is putting the browser into quirks mode. That frameset is
    >>> also
    >>> nothing like I have ever seen a server put around a page. This looks very
    >>> much like a frameset you have coded yourself.
    >>>
    >>> What happens when you view http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?

    >>> What does that mean?

    >>> The resolution of the screen has nothing at all to do (in this case) with
    >>> the layout of your page.

    >>> You didn't tell us that either. Exactly which browser and exactly which
    >>> version is your son using? Exactly which pages are ok. Exactly which
    >>> pages
    >>> are wrong. Provide an example, with a description of how it is wrong.
    >>>
    >>> What happens when your son views http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?

    >> It occurs with both IE8 and FF latest
    >> All pages should be centred.

    > FFS Jim that is not an answer to the individual questions I asked above.
    >
    > If you cannot answer my questions the I for one have no further time to
    > waste trying to guess what yours is.
    >
    > You are on your bloody own.

    Thank you for your understanding.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Jan 30, 2010
  12. Jim S

    rf Guest

    "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:32:20 GMT, rf wrote:
    >
    >>> It occurs with both IE8 and FF latest
    >>> All pages should be centred.

    >> FFS Jim that is not an answer to the individual questions I asked above.
    >>
    >> If you cannot answer my questions the I for one have no further time to
    >> waste trying to guess what yours is.
    >>
    >> You are on your bloody own.

    > Thank you for your understanding.

    Bah humbug.

    You still have not answered the bloody questions.

    You want help here or not?
    rf, Jan 30, 2010
  13. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >> 1) Fa-get-about-dit. The New Jersey it ain't that bad so don't worry.

    > Oh, now, Jonathan. You obviously aren't from New Jersey or its environs.
    > The correct phraseology is:
    >
    > "Fugeddaboudit!"

    Wasn't sure how it is 'officially" spelt. I'm originally a Nutmegger but
    here in central VA there are more New Jerseans than you can shake a
    stick at...

    >> 2) Replace frames with server side includes so that your documents do
    >> not trigger quirks mode in the browser.
    >>

    > Well, you might be right about that but my concern here is only the
    > phraseololgy.

    ? I guess I am being dense, I don't follow.

    > :-D
    >
    > Trust me. Until you've heard the story of my 1990 delivery of my Sony TV
    > set ... well, nevuh mind!

    Hmmmmm now that might be interesting.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 30, 2010
  14. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:29:09 GMT, rf wrote:

    > "Jim S" <> wrote in message

    >>> FFS Jim that is not an answer to the individual questions I asked above.
    >>>
    >>> If you cannot answer my questions the I for one have no further time to
    >>> waste trying to guess what yours is.
    >>>
    >>> You are on your bloody own.

    >> Thank you for your understanding.

    > Bah humbug.
    >
    > You still have not answered the bloody questions.
    >
    > You want help here or not?

    OK let's start again.
    The website www.jimscott.co.uk is really the site www.jimscot.myby.co.uk.
    Up until yesterday it showed pages of photos, all of which: titles,
    pictures and nav buttons were centred on ANY browser I used (and still are
    on mine).
    Yesterday I viewed the site on a laptop which used Vista to display IE8 and
    FF 3.6 browsers. In both of these the centring of images depended on the
    page. If you flit through the local history pages you will see what I mean.
    Sometimes the title/graphic/buttons is/are on the left sometimes one or
    all of them is centred as I would like.
    On my original website I used tables as placeholders and was chastised by
    folks here as that being 'bad form'.
    I went through the site removing tables except where there are several
    pictures as they seem to work best. Indeed those pages which use tables are
    working best and since there are 500+ pages, I wish I had never changed -
    under the 'If it works don't fix it' principle.
    I have removed the frame that was put there by my domain host, but I think
    that was a red-herring.
    The pages all validate as strict HTML with W3C.

    Now ask your questions.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Jan 30, 2010
  15. Jim S

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 30 Jan 2010, Jim S <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:29:09 GMT, rf wrote:
    >
    >> "Jim S" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thank you for your understanding.

    >> Bah humbug.
    >>
    >> You still have not answered the bloody questions.
    >>
    >> You want help here or not?

    > OK let's start again.
    > The website www.jimscott.co.uk is really the site
    > www.jimscot.myby.co.uk. Up until yesterday it showed pages of photos,
    > all of which: titles, pictures and nav buttons were centred on ANY
    > browser I used (and still are on mine).
    > Yesterday I viewed the site on a laptop which used Vista to display
    > IE8 and FF 3.6 browsers. In both of these the centring of images
    > depended on the page. If you flit through the local history pages you
    > will see what I mean. Sometimes the title/graphic/buttons is/are on
    > the left sometimes one or all of them is centred as I would like.
    > On my original website I used tables as placeholders and was
    > chastised by folks here as that being 'bad form'.
    > I went through the site removing tables except where there are
    > several pictures as they seem to work best. Indeed those pages which
    > use tables are working best and since there are 500+ pages, I wish I
    > had never changed - under the 'If it works don't fix it' principle.
    > I have removed the frame that was put there by my domain host, but I
    > think that was a red-herring.
    > The pages all validate as strict HTML with W3C.
    >
    > Now ask your questions.

    I dunno, I've looked twice now in both ie8 and ff3.6 and see nothing
    particularly amiss. You sure there's nothing wrong with your son's
    computer?

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, Jan 30, 2010
  16. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:42:37 +0000 (UTC), Neredbojias wrote:

    > On 30 Jan 2010, Jim S <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:29:09 GMT, rf wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Jim S" <> wrote in message

    >>> Bah humbug.
    >>>
    >>> You still have not answered the bloody questions.
    >>>
    >>> You want help here or not?

    >> OK let's start again.
    >> The website www.jimscott.co.uk is really the site
    >> www.jimscot.myby.co.uk. Up until yesterday it showed pages of photos,
    >> all of which: titles, pictures and nav buttons were centred on ANY
    >> browser I used (and still are on mine).
    >> Yesterday I viewed the site on a laptop which used Vista to display
    >> IE8 and FF 3.6 browsers. In both of these the centring of images
    >> depended on the page. If you flit through the local history pages you
    >> will see what I mean. Sometimes the title/graphic/buttons is/are on
    >> the left sometimes one or all of them is centred as I would like.
    >> On my original website I used tables as placeholders and was
    >> chastised by folks here as that being 'bad form'.
    >> I went through the site removing tables except where there are
    >> several pictures as they seem to work best. Indeed those pages which
    >> use tables are working best and since there are 500+ pages, I wish I
    >> had never changed - under the 'If it works don't fix it' principle.
    >> I have removed the frame that was put there by my domain host, but I
    >> think that was a red-herring.
    >> The pages all validate as strict HTML with W3C.
    >>
    >> Now ask your questions.

    > I dunno, I've looked twice now in both ie8 and ff3.6 and see nothing
    > particularly amiss. You sure there's nothing wrong with your son's
    > computer?

    You have us thinking now.
    It works ok in IE8 compatibility mode, but this page is giving trouble in
    Firefox (on his) as it does not give the background image or render the
    buttons correctly.
    Can you try it for me at your end in both.
    http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/bells/index.html
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Jan 30, 2010
  17. Jim S

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-01-30 12:43, Jim S wrote:
    > You have us thinking now.
    > It works ok in IE8 compatibility mode, but this page is giving trouble in
    > Firefox (on his) as it does not give the background image or render the
    > buttons correctly.
    > Can you try it for me at your end in both.
    > http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/bells/index.html

    The buttons are 88x31, which is a standard size used by some ads and
    which therefore may be blocked by some ad blockers.
    C A Upsdell, Jan 30, 2010
  18. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:58:53 -0500, C A Upsdell wrote:

    > On 2010-01-30 12:43, Jim S wrote:
    >> You have us thinking now.
    >> It works ok in IE8 compatibility mode, but this page is giving trouble in
    >> Firefox (on his) as it does not give the background image or render the
    >> buttons correctly.
    >> Can you try it for me at your end in both.
    >> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/bells/index.html

    > The buttons are 88x31, which is a standard size used by some ads and
    > which therefore may be blocked by some ad blockers.

    No trouble seeing the buttons altho' sometimes not where they should be.
    The bells index page above should have maroon background with gold bell
    logos repeating.
    On the laptop I am having problems with, the background is white and the
    'buttons' have a list-dot on them on one of the browsers.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Jan 30, 2010
  19. Jim S

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 30 Jan 2010, Jim S <> wrote:

    >>> OK let's start again.
    >>> The website www.jimscott.co.uk is really the site
    >>> www.jimscot.myby.co.uk. Up until yesterday it showed pages of
    >>> photos, all of which: titles, pictures and nav buttons were centred
    >>> on ANY browser I used (and still are on mine).
    >>> Yesterday I viewed the site on a laptop which used Vista to display
    >>> IE8 and FF 3.6 browsers. In both of these the centring of images
    >>> depended on the page. If you flit through the local history pages
    >>> you will see what I mean. Sometimes the title/graphic/buttons
    >>> is/are on the left sometimes one or all of them is centred as I
    >>> would like. On my original website I used tables as placeholders
    >>> and was chastised by folks here as that being 'bad form'.
    >>> I went through the site removing tables except where there are
    >>> several pictures as they seem to work best. Indeed those pages
    >>> which use tables are working best and since there are 500+ pages, I
    >>> wish I had never changed - under the 'If it works don't fix it'
    >>> principle. I have removed the frame that was put there by my domain
    >>> host, but I think that was a red-herring.
    >>> The pages all validate as strict HTML with W3C.
    >>>
    >>> Now ask your questions.

    >> I dunno, I've looked twice now in both ie8 and ff3.6 and see nothing
    >> particularly amiss. You sure there's nothing wrong with your son's
    >> computer?

    > You have us thinking now.
    > It works ok in IE8 compatibility mode, but this page is giving
    > trouble in Firefox (on his) as it does not give the background image
    > or render the buttons correctly.
    > Can you try it for me at your end in both.
    > http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/bells/index.html

    Here's a cap of it in ie8. Looks exactly the same in ff3.6.

    http://www.neredbojias.net/_aes/jimssc.jpg

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, Jan 30, 2010
  20. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:11:21 +0000 (UTC), Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> I dunno, I've looked twice now in both ie8 and ff3.6 and see nothing
    >>> particularly amiss. You sure there's nothing wrong with your son's
    >>> computer?

    >> You have us thinking now.
    >> It works ok in IE8 compatibility mode, but this page is giving
    >> trouble in Firefox (on his) as it does not give the background image
    >> or render the buttons correctly.
    >> Can you try it for me at your end in both.
    >> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/bells/index.html

    > Here's a cap of it in ie8. Looks exactly the same in ff3.6.
    >
    > http://www.neredbojias.net/_aes/jimssc.jpg

    Thanks friend.
    It seems that the problem lies with my son's laptop and not with my site.
    Phew :eek:)
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK