AWLP turns your PC into web-managed wireless access gateway

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Alp, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Alp

    Alp Guest

    Greetings. I would like to inform you about an open-source project
    I developed in Perl, using Slackware distro, HostAP driver and utilities,
    that turns your PC with Prism2/2.5/3 wireless LAN card into a
    full-featured web-managed wireless access gateway.

    AWLP has pretty much all the features you would expect from
    an off-the-shelf wireless access gateway like DHCP server,
    caching-only DNS server, ACL, etc.

    I belive AWLP is useful for a wide range of users:
    - Academicians can use it for wireless experiment setups
    - Developers can add/change its features
    - Home users can set it up for their broadband connection sharing needs
    - Small caffes and restaruants can use it as a simple hotspot box

    I have tried to be loyal to Slackware distro as much as I can.
    Actually, the only major modification was to set couple of suid
    and guid permission bits so that AWLP can be web-managed.
    Staying loyal to Slackware pays-off when time comes for package
    upgrades. You can easily add/upgrade/remove packages using standard
    Slackware package tools (installpkg, upgradepkg, removepkg).

    Project's Web Site:
    http://awlp.sourceforge.net/

    Screenshosts:
    https://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=127028

    Photos of an example setup:
    (Worked as the wireless access gateway for 12-days without a problem)
    http://awlp.sourceforge.net/photos/metu-ie/index.html

    I hope you can find the time to review this open-source project
    sometime. If you don't, however, I will be happy to know that you are
    aware of it.

    Best Regards,

    Alptekin Cakircali

    http://www.cakircali.com/alptekin