AWT font != Swing Font

Roedy Green

I have discovered that Swing fonts with the same name and size
displayed in a JTextArea will show more characters than
AWT will in a TextArea.

What gives?

Here are the currency characters where the effect is most obvious:

+ "\u0020 "
+ "\u00a3 "
+ "\u00a4 "
+ "\u00a5 "
+ "\u0e3f "
+ "\u17db "
+ "\u20a1 "
+ "\u20a2 "
+ "\u20a3 "
+ "\u20a4 "
+ "\u20a6 "
+ "\u20a8 "
+ "\u20a9 "
+ "\u20aa "
+ "\u20ab "
+ "\u20ac "
+ "\u20ad "
+ "\u20b1 "
+ "\ufdfc\n";

Compare Lucida Sans Unicode for example.
Swing is able to show 3 more characters.

For Dialog, Swing is able to show 5 more characters.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.