AWT tutorial

Andrew Thompson

Mark Space wrote:
You know that Swing replaces AWT ..

Try replacing Image, Graphics, AlphaComposite,
BorderLayout, KeyStroke, ActionEvent, Desktop*,
EventQueue, Cursor, LinearGradientPaint**, Font..

* introduced in Java 1.6
** also introduced in 1.6, and mentioned because
it was a surprise to me - I had never noticed it before
today.
...in Java, right? AWT is only used for
specialized stuff anymore.

Puhh.. May be true of AWT *components*, but there
is a lot more to AWT than compontents.
I wish Sun had put the GUI components into a separate
heirarchy to the other GUI stuff mentioned above, but then,
that assumes they knew in advance that there would
be two widget toolkits. :-(

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Mark Space

Andrew said:
Puhh.. May be true of AWT *components*, but there
is a lot more to AWT than compontents.

I saw someone who appeared to be completely unfamiliar with AWT looking
for a tutorial. I assume Thomas is very new. For newbies, "Swing
replaces AWT" I think is a decent summary of the current situation. Or
at least it's as much as I wanted to type.

Anyway, sure AWT methods can still be used and some parts are mixed in
there with Swing, but by and large anyone looking for tutorials should
understand Swing (and Java) first. After they do that they should have
a pretty decent idea which areas to expand to next, regardless of the
dates listed on the tutorial.