    it says Copyright 1996-2000,
    Do you know newer version of this tut ? Shouldn't sun delete it or upgrade
    ?
    Thomas, Jul 30, 2007

  2. Thomas

    Guest

    On 30 Jul, 22:27, "Thomas" <> wrote:
    > I found this tutorial, on sun page, but it seems to be obsolate:http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/awt/contents.html
    > All the links from it are EOL (end of life), besides on the bottom of that
    > it says Copyright 1996-2000,
    > Do you know newer version of this tut ? Shouldn't sun delete it or upgrade
    > ?

    It looks like everything in the tutorial should would work fine.

    Regards,

    Tov Are Jacobsen
    , Jul 30, 2007

  3. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    Uzytkownik <> napisal w wiadomosci

    http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se-eol.html
    Thomas, Jul 30, 2007
  4. Thomas

    Guest

    On 30 Jul, 23:26, "Thomas" <> wrote:
    > Uzytkownik <> napisal w wiadomoscinews:...> On 30 Jul, 22:27, "Thomas" <> wrote:
    > > > I found this tutorial, on sun page, but it seems to be

    > obsolate:http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/awt/contents.html> > All the links from it are EOL (end of life), besides on the bottom of
    > that
    > > > it says Copyright 1996-2000,
    > > > Do you know newer version of this tut ? Shouldn't sun delete it or

    > upgrade
    > > > ?

    > > It looks like everything in the tutorial should would work fine.

    > > Regards,

    > > Tov Are Jacobsen
    > > Yeah but cliking on any links at this page gives error like that

    > http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se-eol.html

    I didn't notice that :) The links to the API should probably be
    updated to the Java SE 6 API, since the tutorial itself contains valid
    and supported API's.

    --
    Regards,

    Tov Are Jacobsen
    , Jul 30, 2007
  5. Thomas

    Mark Space Guest

    Thomas wrote:
    > I found this tutorial, on sun page, but it seems to be obsolate:
    > http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/awt/contents.html
    > All the links from it are EOL (end of life), besides on the bottom of that
    > it says Copyright 1996-2000,
    > Do you know newer version of this tut ? Shouldn't sun delete it or upgrade
    > ?

    You know that Swing replaces AWT in Java, right? AWT is only used for
    specialized stuff anymore.
    Mark Space, Aug 1, 2007
  6. Mark Space wrote:
    >You know that Swing replaces AWT ..

    Try replacing Image, Graphics, AlphaComposite,
    BorderLayout, KeyStroke, ActionEvent, Desktop*,
    EventQueue, Cursor, LinearGradientPaint**, Font..

    * introduced in Java 1.6
    ** also introduced in 1.6, and mentioned because
    it was a surprise to me - I had never noticed it before
    today.

    >...in Java, right? AWT is only used for
    >specialized stuff anymore.

    Puhh.. May be true of AWT *components*, but there
    is a lot more to AWT than compontents.
    I wish Sun had put the GUI components into a separate
    heirarchy to the other GUI stuff mentioned above, but then,
    that assumes they knew in advance that there would
    be two widget toolkits. :-(

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 1, 2007
  7. Thomas

    Mark Space Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Mark Space wrote:
    >> ...in Java, right? AWT is only used for
    >> specialized stuff anymore.

    > Puhh.. May be true of AWT *components*, but there
    > is a lot more to AWT than compontents.

    I saw someone who appeared to be completely unfamiliar with AWT looking
    for a tutorial. I assume Thomas is very new. For newbies, "Swing
    replaces AWT" I think is a decent summary of the current situation. Or
    at least it's as much as I wanted to type.

    Anyway, sure AWT methods can still be used and some parts are mixed in
    there with Swing, but by and large anyone looking for tutorials should
    understand Swing (and Java) first. After they do that they should have
    a pretty decent idea which areas to expand to next, regardless of the
    dates listed on the tutorial.
    Mark Space, Aug 1, 2007