axis cpp questions ...?wsdl segfaults

Rob Yampolsky

I'm trying to build a web service using Axis CPP version 1.5 on RHEL
3.0.

I've got axis installed, and the test services work. I was also able
to build a client that is able to access a remote service, but I'm
running into some difficulties setting up my own service.

I was able to build and deploy a sample MD5Service from an article I
found, and it works, but when I try to deploy a service of my own, I
get the following error:
Exception : Soap method is not allowed to invoke

Not sure what that means, or how to go about fixing it. I'm guessing
that there's something wrong with my WSDL (I didn't write it, the
'peer' service provider gave it to me - they built it with MS .NET
tools), but I'm new to this stuff, and it looks okay to me. I did
have to edit it slightly to get WSDL2ws to work on it (it didn't like
that one item was missing a namespace). Could it be that .NET is
case-insensitive and Axis is not, so that a .NET-generated WSDL can
cause problems?

For once Google doesn't seem to provide much help, and what's there
seems to be Java-oriented.

I guess what I'm looking for is suggestions on where to go to look for
answers on this. Also specific hints would be nice. E.g., is there
an easy way to debug axiscpp services using that simple_axis_server
thing? Or is this what 'client-side' handlers are for?

Also, when I try to access ?WSDL URL's for the test services (using,
say, http://localhost/axis/calculator?wsdl), Apache logs a segfault.
Don't know how to go about debugging that (or even if it's a problem
not to be able to publish my WSDL that way). Is this an Axis bug, a
problem with my installation, or something else?

Sorry I'm so clueless. The service I'm trying to set up is a really
simple one, and I'm trying to wing it using all open-source tools, but
maybe I'm too much of a web services newbie to be attempting that. It
*seemed* easy enough to get the sample stuff up...