    www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/ the lines are clean with NO
    jaggies. How do I get that result?

    Thanks, AL
    Alfred Lorona, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Alfred Lorona

    mscir Guest

    Alfred Lorona wrote:
    > I have a line drawn cartoon I wish to put on the internet. Photoshop saves
    > it in GIF format, 72 dpi for posting on the internet. The lines are jagged.
    > When I see similar cartoons in, say for example,
    > www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/ the lines are clean with NO
    > jaggies. How do I get that result?
    >
    > Thanks, AL

    Did you try jpg? Can you post examples on the internet?
    mscir, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Alfred Lorona

    Augustus Guest

    "Alfred Lorona" <> wrote in message
    > I have a line drawn cartoon I wish to put on the internet. Photoshop

    saves
    > it in GIF format, 72 dpi for posting on the internet. The lines are

    jagged.
    > When I see similar cartoons in, say for example,
    > www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/ the lines are clean with NO
    > jaggies. How do I get that result?

    You are most likely saving it with a transparent background

    You need to either:
    - save it with a background
    or
    - when you choose "SAVE FOR WEB..." give it a background matte color

    That will allow the lines to bleed/feather into the background (ie: a black
    diagonal line will not just be a black line on a white background, it will
    use different shades of gray to make the transition from black to white)

    If you are already doing this and still getting the jagged lines, then you
    need to set more colors so photoshop can let the image matte to the
    background
    (example: your image might only use 2 colors so you might set the GIF to 2
    colors for output, but to handle the matte/feathering effect it might need
    10 colors for the different shades of gray)
    Augustus, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Alfred Lorona

    jake Guest

    In message <c0n5je$197lml$-berlin.de>, Alfred Lorona
    <> writes
    >I have a line drawn cartoon I wish to put on the internet. Photoshop saves
    >it in GIF format, 72 dpi for posting on the internet. The lines are jagged.
    >When I see similar cartoons in, say for example,
    >www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/ the lines are clean with NO
    >jaggies. How do I get that result?
    >
    >Thanks, AL

    Can you post a url so that we can see an example?

    How did you create the cartoon?

    Was it scanned from hard-copy? If so, what size was the original -- and
    what size is the image that you intend posting?

    It could be a number of issues, but if you can post the original (or
    something like it) it would give us a clue.

    BTW. "72 dpi" doesn't mean a thing when it comes to displaying it. The
    only thing that counts is the number of pixels in the image ... which
    tells you what percentage of the browser screen it's going to occupy.

    regards.

    --
    Jake
    jake, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Alfred Lorona

    Malcolm Guest

    "Alfred Lorona" <> wrote in message
    > I have a line drawn cartoon I wish to put on the internet. Photoshop

    saves
    > it in GIF format, 72 dpi for posting on the internet. The lines are

    jagged.
    What is the file size of your cartoon?

    > When I see similar cartoons in, say for example,
    > www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/ the lines are clean with NO
    > jaggies.

    What is the format and file size of these cartoons?

    Malcolm
    Malcolm, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Alfred Lorona

    Jayenkai Guest

    You want to draw/scan your image larger than you want it displayed, and then
    shrink it down to the size you want it displayed..
    So long as you use a "Smart Size" or other Non-Pixel based resize method
    (should be easy to work out!) the resizing procedure should eliminate any
    unwanted jaggies.

    Jayenkai, Feb 15, 2004
  7. Alfred Lorona

    Paul Furman Guest

    Augustus wrote:

    > If you are already doing this and still getting the jagged lines, then you
    > need to set more colors so photoshop can let the image matte to the
    > background

    If the image is in bitmap mode (b&w) it needs to be changed to greyscale
    (or indexed color for a gif) in order to make greys. There is a b&w jpeg
    format also in irfanview, not sure about photoshop.
    Paul Furman, Feb 15, 2004
  8. Alfred Lorona wrote:

    > I have a line drawn cartoon I wish to put on the internet. Photoshop saves
    > it in GIF format, 72 dpi for posting on the internet. The lines are jagged.
    > When I see similar cartoons in, say for example,
    > www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/ the lines are clean with NO
    > jaggies. How do I get that result?

    www.sev.com.au does similar things.

    Scott Adams and Sev actually create the iamges as a Vector graphic
    (using Photoshop) on a large scale (about 5x what you see as the saved
    image). They then shrink it down to a jpeg with little compression and
    you get the results you want.
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 15, 2004