B/W line jaggies

Alfred Lorona

I have a line drawn cartoon I wish to put on the internet. Photoshop saves
it in GIF format, 72 dpi for posting on the internet. The lines are jagged.
When I see similar cartoons in, say for example,
www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/ the lines are clean with NO
jaggies. How do I get that result?

Thanks, AL

mscir

Alfred said:
I have a line drawn cartoon I wish to put on the internet. Photoshop saves
it in GIF format, 72 dpi for posting on the internet. The lines are jagged.
When I see similar cartoons in, say for example,
www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/ the lines are clean with NO
jaggies. How do I get that result?

Thanks, AL

Did you try jpg? Can you post examples on the internet?

Augustus

Alfred Lorona said:
I have a line drawn cartoon I wish to put on the internet. Photoshop saves
it in GIF format, 72 dpi for posting on the internet. The lines are jagged.
When I see similar cartoons in, say for example,
www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/ the lines are clean with NO
jaggies. How do I get that result?

You are most likely saving it with a transparent background

You need to either:
- save it with a background
or
- when you choose "SAVE FOR WEB..." give it a background matte color

That will allow the lines to bleed/feather into the background (ie: a black
diagonal line will not just be a black line on a white background, it will
use different shades of gray to make the transition from black to white)

If you are already doing this and still getting the jagged lines, then you
need to set more colors so photoshop can let the image matte to the
background
(example: your image might only use 2 colors so you might set the GIF to 2
colors for output, but to handle the matte/feathering effect it might need
10 colors for the different shades of gray)

jake

Alfred Lorona said:
I have a line drawn cartoon I wish to put on the internet. Photoshop saves
it in GIF format, 72 dpi for posting on the internet. The lines are jagged.
When I see similar cartoons in, say for example,
www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/ the lines are clean with NO
jaggies. How do I get that result?

Thanks, AL
Can you post a url so that we can see an example?

How did you create the cartoon?

Was it scanned from hard-copy? If so, what size was the original -- and
what size is the image that you intend posting?

It could be a number of issues, but if you can post the original (or
something like it) it would give us a clue.

BTW. "72 dpi" doesn't mean a thing when it comes to displaying it. The
only thing that counts is the number of pixels in the image ... which
tells you what percentage of the browser screen it's going to occupy.

regards.

Jayenkai

You want to draw/scan your image larger than you want it displayed, and then
shrink it down to the size you want it displayed..
So long as you use a "Smart Size" or other Non-Pixel based resize method
(should be easy to work out!) the resizing procedure should eliminate any
unwanted jaggies.

Paul Furman

Augustus said:
If you are already doing this and still getting the jagged lines, then you
need to set more colors so photoshop can let the image matte to the
background

If the image is in bitmap mode (b&w) it needs to be changed to greyscale
(or indexed color for a gif) in order to make greys. There is a b&w jpeg
format also in irfanview, not sure about photoshop.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Alfred said:
I have a line drawn cartoon I wish to put on the internet. Photoshop saves
it in GIF format, 72 dpi for posting on the internet. The lines are jagged.
When I see similar cartoons in, say for example,
www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/ the lines are clean with NO
jaggies. How do I get that result?

www.sev.com.au does similar things.

Scott Adams and Sev actually create the iamges as a Vector graphic
(using Photoshop) on a large scale (about 5x what you see as the saved
image). They then shrink it down to a jpeg with little compression and
you get the results you want.