'Back Button (Arrow)' Puzzle ?

1

123Jim

David Segall said:
I don't think anybody takes any notice of the URL displayed by their
browser.

I have just visited and your site is now uncloaked.

It's uncloaked, but the URL remains at
http://ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296/cgi-bin/mep/mepinit.exe from
http://ww2.mesaeastpark.com as the user clicks through the pages. This does
not work for bookmarking individual pages.
I also wonder how this will affect a google search... at the moment a search
for [ mesa east park ] finds www.mesaeastpark.com/ at the top of the list
... but will this change after future spiderings?

David Segall

123Jim said:
It's uncloaked, but the URL remains at
http://ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296/cgi-bin/mep/mepinit.exe from
http://ww2.mesaeastpark.com as the user clicks through the pages. This does
not work for bookmarking individual pages.

That's a general problem with web pages that are generated on demand
by a server rather than statically served by an HTML server. It is
very common with Flash sites. I'm afraid you are going to have to
alter mepinit.exe to fix it.
I also wonder how this will affect a google search... at the moment a search
for [ mesa east park ] finds www.mesaeastpark.com/ at the top of the list
.. but will this change after future spiderings?

I don't know but I have been infuriated by those shopping sites that
manage to return a hit on a particular product although they don't
have any information. I can only assume that some clever programming,
and probably some advertising, can score you a hit on any page.

Mel Smith

David said:
That's a general problem with web pages that are generated on demand
by a server rather than statically served by an HTML server. It is
very common with Flash sites. I'm afraid you are going to have to
alter mepinit.exe to fix it.
I also wonder how this will affect a google search... at the moment a
search
for [ mesa east park ] finds www.mesaeastpark.com/ at the top of the
list
.. but will this change after future spiderings?

I don't know but I have been infuriated by those shopping sites that
manage to return a hit on a particular product although they don't
have any information. I can only assume that some clever programming,
and probably some advertising, can score you a hit on any page.

David (& 123Jim):

All my pages are 'served' thru my executable (mepinit.exe). The pages
are somestimes static, but are usually re-built with appropriate info placed
into format pages from several databases..

My executable is based on a top-level language (xHarbour) that is
compiled into C++ code. Then this code is further compiled into .obj files,
and then linked the executable. The main source program has approx 7000
lines of code plus library calls, etc. The executable is currently more
than 512K in size.

When I create a new exe or change a page layout, I test changes my dev
machine, then pass it over my local network to my server for live access.

My background is (actually 'was') creating business applications in both
DOS and Windows, and I have quite a bit of expertise in database work.
Creating web pages is definitely not my forte.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

(btw, I think I might drift back to 'cloaking', because all it seems to
do is create address bar confusion. But I'll mull over this for the rest of
the day before making a decision)

-Mel Smith