Back button to specific spot in previous page...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Eric, May 27, 2006.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Hey Guys

    I'm building a website with pictures of retro video games from Japan. The
    index page a simple list, and when you click on the console name it will
    take you to a photo gallery that was made with Photoshop CS.

    After you're done viewing the photo gallery, I want the viewer to be able to
    go right back to the list at the same spot he left it at. It's a long list
    and I don't want the viewer to have to spend time finding the spot he was
    in. Unfortunately, the back button on the browser isn't much help since it
    makes you reverse scroll through all of the pictures you have already
    viewed. With 30-40 pictures of some consoles it will take a long time to do
    that.

    Instead I'm using a simple text link ("Back") that goes back to the index
    page. But, it takes you to the top and the viewer has to scroll down and
    find his spot again. So, I'd like to make the Back link take them to their
    previous spot in the index page, not the top. Any tips?

    I'm a self taught guy, started with FrontPage and moved up to Dreamweaver.
    I want the website ot be clean and simple, no big graphics or anything else.
    Just a database of pictures for quick reference. Here's the index page:
    http://www.japan-games.com/Database/index.html. The only links working are
    at the bottom under the XBOX section (all except the Skeleton link).

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Eric, May 27, 2006

  2. Eric wrote:

    > I'm building a website ...
    >
    > After you're done viewing the photo gallery, I want the viewer to be able to
    > go right back to the list at the same spot he left it at. It's a long list
    > and I don't want the viewer to have to spend time finding the spot he was
    > in. Unfortunately, the back button on the browser isn't much help since it
    > makes you reverse scroll through all of the pictures you have already
    > viewed. With 30-40 pictures of some consoles it will take a long time to do
    > that.

    Some users are smart enough to use the dropdown of the back button and
    not be large.

    > Instead I'm using a simple text link ("Back") that goes back to the index
    > page. But, it takes you to the top and the viewer has to scroll down and
    > find his spot again. So, I'd like to make the Back link take them to their
    > previous spot in the index page, not the top. Any tips?

    The only way to do this is to give each link on the main page a name or
    id.
    Then code the "Back" link on each of those 30-40 picture pages as:

    Put the Back link at the top of photos page. Prominently. Maybe
    construct and style it like a breadcrumb.

    > http://www.japan-games.com/Database/index.html.

    Learn to use external style sheets.

    You have no background color assigned, so I see my default purple.

    For the DOCTYPE, new pages should be Strict rather than Transitional.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 27, 2006

  3. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Thanks for your help, but it looks like I'm just going to have to use the
    "Back" link. I have links to anchors at the top of the index page so they
    should be able to return to their previous spot pretty easily.

    I found a good article on external style sheets for anyone else who wants it
    (http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/csstut5.htm). I'll use them in the
    future. This site is actually just one long list which links to separate
    web galleries. The galleries will all be the same type. So I won't need to
    make any universal changes since I only have one sheet.

    I'll choose a background color.

    Thanks!

    Eric, May 27, 2006
  4. Eric

    Frank Olieu Guest

    _Eric_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (27-05-2006 19:35):

    > I found a good article on...

    Great! While you're at it, why don't you look for a good article on 'top
    posting'? :)

    --
    Venlig hilsen | Kind regards | Cordialement
    Frank
    Frank Olieu, May 27, 2006
  5. Frank Olieu wrote:
    > _Eric_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (27-05-2006 19:35):
    >
    >> I found a good article on...

    > Great! While you're at it, why don't you look for a good article on 'top
    > posting'? :)

    Here's a good one, albeit a very, very short one:

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/toppost.html

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, May 27, 2006
  6. Eric

    Frank Olieu Guest

    _Blinky the Shark_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (27-05-2006 20:33):

    > Here's a good one, albeit a very, very short one...

    It says it all!

    Frank Olieu, May 27, 2006
  7. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Sorry, I've never really engaged in the whole top vs. bottom posting debate.
    It seemed too silly to really take seriously. Good luck with your battle,
    tho!

    Eric, May 27, 2006
  8. Eric wrote:
    > "Frank Olieu" <> wrote in message
    >> _Blinky the Shark_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (27-05-2006 20:33):
    >>
    >>> Here's a good one, albeit a very, very short one...

    >> It says it all!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Venlig hilsen | Kind regards | Cordialement
    >> Frank

    [top-posting corrected]

    > Sorry, I've never really engaged in the whole top vs. bottom posting debate.
    > It seemed too silly to really take seriously. Good luck with your battle,
    > tho!

    Well, don't be surprised when your posts begin to get ignored...

    /I know it is England, but I don't like driving on the left/

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, May 27, 2006
  9. Eric wrote:

    > Sorry, I've never really engaged in the whole top vs. bottom posting
    > debate. It seemed too silly to really take seriously. Good luck with
    > your battle, tho!

    Please feel free to press the PageDown key before beginning your reply.
    It's that simple. :)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 28, 2006
  10. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry, I've never really engaged in the whole top vs. bottom
    >> posting debate. It seemed too silly to really take seriously.
    >> Good luck with your battle, tho!

    > Please feel free to press the PageDown key before beginning your
    > reply. It's that simple. :)

    Yeah, I don't recall anyone asking him for debate.

    --
    Blinky
    Kill-filing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, May 30, 2006