background color not showing on header

Discussion in 'HTML' started by iamdave, Jan 27, 2008.

  1. iamdave

    iamdave Guest

    I have a header image which I do realize i should cut up into sections
    for load time. But my problem is that there is supposed to be black
    around the image because I set the css to have a black background but
    it's not showing.

    http://the316band.com

    But I obviously am making a mistake somewhere.

    div#header{position:relative}
    div#header h1{height:125px;line-height:80px;margin:0;
    padding-left:10px;background: ##000000;color: #79B30B}
    div#header a{position:absolute;right:0;top:23px}

    I'm not sure I understand the difference between header and header h1
    referenced above. I got the template code off a website and just
    tinkered with it. If you see anything goofy let me know. The code is
    as is only because I'm a complete rookie and trying to edit a template
    for a 2 column header/footer css layout. :)

    Dave

    iamdave, Jan 27, 2008

  2. iamdave

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    iamdave <> wrote:

    > I have a header image which I do realize i should cut up into sections
    > for load time. But my problem is that there is supposed to be black
    > around the image because I set the css to have a black background but
    > it's not showing.
    >
    > http://the316band.com
    >
    > But I obviously am making a mistake somewhere.
    >
    > div#header{position:relative}
    > div#header h1{height:125px;line-height:80px;margin:0;
    > padding-left:10px;background: ##000000;color: #79B30B}
    > div#header a{position:absolute;right:0;top:23px}
    >
    > I'm not sure I understand the difference between header and header h1
    > referenced above. I got the template code off a website and just
    > tinkered with it. If you see anything goofy let me know. The code is
    > as is only because I'm a complete rookie and trying to edit a template
    > for a 2 column header/footer css layout. :)

    I will just comment on the black problem - there is too much
    wrong with everything. Remove your background: ##000000; and use
    only one hash.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 27, 2008

  3. iamdave

    rf Guest

    "iamdave" <> wrote in message

    >I have a header image which I do realize i should cut up into sections
    > for load time.

    Cutting it up into sections will probably make it load slower.

    > But my problem is that there is supposed to be black
    > around the image because I set the css to have a black background but
    > it's not showing.

    > padding-left:10px;background: ##000000;color: #79B30B}

    ##000000 is not a colour.

    rf, Jan 27, 2008
  4. iamdave

    iamdave Guest

    Ahhhhh! ##000000

    A double #!?!?!?

    LOL! What a goofy mistake! Wow am I embarrassed. Sorry folks.

    "I will just comment on the black problem - there is too much wrong
    with everything."

    Well apparently I used a template that wasn't so swift. Is there a
    better template for a 3 column header/footer I could use to edit as I
    continue to learn the css craft and one day trade my white belt for a
    yellow belt or purple belt...

    The one I used was this one:
    http://blog.html.it/layoutgala/LayoutGala13.html

    Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

    Dave

    iamdave, Jan 28, 2008
  5. iamdave

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    iamdave <> wrote:

    > Ahhhhh! ##000000
    >
    > A double #!?!?!?
    >
    > LOL! What a goofy mistake! Wow am I embarrassed. Sorry folks.
    >
    > "I will just comment on the black problem - there is too much wrong
    > with everything."
    >
    > Well apparently I used a template that wasn't so swift. Is there a
    > better template for a 3 column header/footer I could use to edit as I
    > continue to learn the css craft and one day trade my white belt for a
    > yellow belt or purple belt...
    >
    > The one I used was this one:
    > http://blog.html.it/layoutgala/LayoutGala13.html
    >
    > Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

    Please quote what you are replying to at the top and put your own
    reply underneath as not everyone here uses Google Groups and some
    online readers do not show or even have histories of threads. At
    least in this newsgroup, this is the accepted convention.

    As for 3 col layouts, how about researching the archives of this
    group and coming up with a small number that have been mentioned
    favourably and which you fancy a bit.

    Don't worry about goofy mistakes, they happen all the time and
    you can get lucky with proof reading services on these ng if you
    happen to hit folk with no real outside life of their own. <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 28, 2008
  6. iamdave

    Guest

    On Jan 28, 2:06 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <
    > m>,
    >

    > iamdave <> wrote:
    > > Ahhhhh! ##000000

    > > A double #!?!?!?

    > > LOL! What a goofy mistake! Wow am I embarrassed. Sorry folks.

    > > "I will just comment on the black problem - there is too much wrong
    > > with everything."

    > > Well apparently I used a template that wasn't so swift. Is there a
    > > better template for a 3 column header/footer I could use to edit as I
    > > continue to learn the css craft and one day trade my white belt for a
    > > yellow belt or purple belt...

    > > The one I used was this one:
    > >http://blog.html.it/layoutgala/LayoutGala13.html

    > > Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

    > Please quote what you are replying to at the top and put your own
    > reply underneath as not everyone here uses Google Groups and some
    > online readers do not show or even have histories of threads. At
    > least in this newsgroup, this is the accepted convention.
    >
    > As for 3 col layouts, how about researching the archives of this
    > group and coming up with a small number that have been mentioned
    > favourably and which you fancy a bit.
    >
    > Don't worry about goofy mistakes, they happen all the time and
    > you can get lucky with proof reading services on these ng if you
    > happen to hit folk with no real outside life of their own. <g>
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    What are you and rk attending the same school morons university

    , Jan 29, 2008
  7. iamdave

    iamdave Guest

    On Jan 27, 4:33 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <
    > m>,
    >

    > iamdave <> wrote:
    > > I have a header image which I do realize i should cut up into sections
    > > for load time. But my problem is that there is supposed to be black
    > > around the image because I set the css to have a black background but
    > > it's not showing.

    > >http://the316band.com

    > > But I obviously am making a mistake somewhere.

    > > div#header{position:relative}
    > > div#header h1{height:125px;line-height:80px;margin:0;
    > > padding-left:10px;background: ##000000;color: #79B30B}
    > > div#header a{position:absolute;right:0;top:23px}

    > > I'm not sure I understand the difference between header and header h1
    > > referenced above. I got the template code off a website and just
    > > tinkered with it. If you see anything goofy let me know. The code is
    > > as is only because I'm a complete rookie and trying to edit a template
    > > for a 2 column header/footer css layout. :)

    > I will just comment on the black problem - there is too much
    > wrong with everything. Remove your background: ##000000; and use
    > only one hash.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Are there issues with the html code or web site design that you are
    referring to? I used a 3 column template I found. If I need to find a
    better coded one that's fine but I'm just not sure which direction you
    were speaking of with all the problems.

    Dave

    iamdave, Jan 29, 2008
  8. iamdave

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    iamdave <> wrote:

    > > >http://the316band.com

    > > I will just comment on the black problem - there is too much
    > > wrong with everything. Remove your background: ##000000; and use
    > > only one hash.
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > Are there issues with the html code or web site design that you are
    > referring to? I used a 3 column template I found. If I need to find a
    > better coded one that's fine but I'm just not sure which direction you
    > were speaking of with all the problems.

    If you would fix up all the things the W3C validators say are
    errors, I and others for sure would be happy to take a look. The
    fauts may be from your template or from things you ahave added?
    For example:

    a{display:color: #006}

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 29, 2008
  9. iamdave

    iamdave Guest

    On Jan 29, 5:56 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <
    > m>,

    > > > I will just comment on the black problem - there is too much
    > > > wrong with everything. Remove your background: ##000000; and use
    > > > only one hash.

    > > > --
    > > > dorayme

    > > Are there issues with the html code or web site design that you are
    > > referring to? I used a 3 column template I found. If I need to find a
    > > better coded one that's fine but I'm just not sure which direction you
    > > were speaking of with all the problems.

    > If you would fix up all the things the W3C validators say are
    > errors, I and others for sure would be happy to take a look. The
    > fauts may be from your template or from things you ahave added?
    > For example:
    >
    > a{display:color: #006}
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    I searched through this group looking for 3 column templates or
    layouts and found this one:
    http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/css-3col-layout/

    Is this one of the more accepted coded layouts I might try and use?

    Dave

    iamdave, Jan 30, 2008
  10. iamdave

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Jan 31, 12:29 am, iamdave <> wrote:
    > On Jan 29, 5:56 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    >

    > > In article
    > > <
    > > m>,

    > > > Are there issues with the html code or web site design that you are
    > > > referring to? I used a 3 column template I found. If I need to find a
    > > > better coded one that's fine but I'm just not sure which direction you
    > > > were speaking of with all the problems.

    > > If you would fix up all the things the W3C validators say are
    > > errors, I and others for sure would be happy to take a look. The
    > > fauts may be from your template or from things you ahave added?
    > > For example:

    > > a{display:color: #006}

    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > I searched through this group looking for 3 column templates or
    > layouts and found this one:http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/css-3col-layout/
    >
    > Is this one of the more accepted coded layouts I might try and use?

    You might be better off having a look at the tutorials at:
    http://htmldog.com

    Chaddy2222, Jan 30, 2008
  11. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 30, 2008
  12. iamdave

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <Iu%nj.517499$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > iamdave wrote:
    >
    > > I searched through this group looking for 3 column templates or
    > > layouts and found this one:
    > > http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/css-3col-layout/
    > >
    > > Is this one of the more accepted coded layouts I might try and use?

    You could use it as an exercise and modify it according to some
    of the things that you can learn here if you stick around. Like
    not setting font font sizes in pts, not setting main text to be
    less than 100% and a few other things...

    > Try Toby Inkster's template:
    > http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col-new.strict
    >
    > Stay with HTML 4.01 Strict as well.

    If you just want to go ahead and make a web page and it be
    competent without you changing anything much but the content, you
    won't go far wrong with this advice from Beauregard.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 30, 2008
  13. iamdave

    Ed Guest

    On 30/01/08 14:05, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Try Toby Inkster's template:
    > http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col-new.strict
    >
    > Stay with HTML 4.01 Strict as well.

    Thanks for providing the link. But I appear to have problems when
    displaying the page.

    I find that when I connect to Toby's template, it causes my Internet
    Explorer (version 6) to freeze and stop responding.

    In Firefox (version 1.5.0.12), the bottom parts of the left and right
    hands columns (below where the text ends) appear to be constantly
    refreshing every 5 seconds or so even when I don't resize the browser
    window.

    Any ideas what might be happening here and how I could resolve these
    issues?

    Regards,
    Ed

    Ed, Jan 31, 2008
  14. Ed wrote:

    > On 30/01/08 14:05, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Try Toby Inkster's template:
    >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col-new.strict
    >>
    >> Stay with HTML 4.01 Strict as well.

    > Thanks for providing the link. But I appear to have problems when
    > displaying the page.
    >
    > I find that when I connect to Toby's template, it causes my Internet
    > Explorer (version 6) to freeze and stop responding.

    Ah. I see that as well. (Had to fire up the Winbox.) It's the
    JavaScript, as the page works fine in IE(6) with JavaScript disabled.

    > In Firefox (version 1.5.0.12), the bottom parts of the left and right
    > hands columns (below where the text ends) appear to be constantly
    > refreshing every 5 seconds or so even when I don't resize the browser
    > window.

    Yes, that too, and again caused by the JavaScript.

    It works as expected with Opera (9.25).

    > Any ideas what might be happening here and how I could resolve these
    > issues?

    Hopefully, Toby will see this thread and chime in with answers - or
    maybe even a version 3 without the problems. He may want to clarify
    "Full support: .. Internet Explorer 5+ (Win)" :)

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 31, 2008
  15. iamdave

    iamdave Guest

    On Jan 30, 12:04 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <Iu%nj.517499$>,
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >
    > > iamdave wrote:

    > > > I searched through this group looking for 3 column templates or
    > > > layouts and found this one:
    > > >http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/css-3col-layout/

    > > > Is this one of the more accepted coded layouts I might try and use?

    > You could use it as an exercise and modify it according to some
    > of the things that you can learn here if you stick around. Like
    > not setting font font sizes in pts, not setting main text to be
    > less than 100% and a few other things...
    >
    > > Try Toby Inkster's template:
    > >http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col-new.strict

    > > Stay with HTML 4.01 Strict as well.

    > If you just want to go ahead and make a web page and it be
    > competent without you changing anything much but the content, you
    > won't go far wrong with this advice from Beauregard.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Thanks folks. I plugged that site into the validator and it just came
    up with one error:

    Line 172, Column 30: document type does not allow element "SCRIPT"
    here.

    <script type="text/javascript">

    ✉

    The element named above was found in a context where it is not
    allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements --
    such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside
    "head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

    One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML
    documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this
    error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's "self-
    closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a HTML
    document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head" section
    and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and "meta" are
    not allowed; hence the reported error).

    Is this anything that could be fixed or is it nothing to worry about?
    I'll use this template you all suggested and will also begin learning
    more about the css etc. so that I understand more about what I'm
    using. I certainly appreciate the help I've received. Thank you! :)

    Dave

    iamdave, Jan 31, 2008