background color not showing on header

iamdave

I have a header image which I do realize i should cut up into sections
for load time. But my problem is that there is supposed to be black
around the image because I set the css to have a black background but
it's not showing.

http://the316band.com

But I obviously am making a mistake somewhere.

div#header{position:relative}
div#header h1{height:125px;line-height:80px;margin:0;
padding-left:10px;background: ##000000;color: #79B30B}
div#header a{position:absolute;right:0;top:23px}

I'm not sure I understand the difference between header and header h1
referenced above. I got the template code off a website and just
tinkered with it. If you see anything goofy let me know. The code is
as is only because I'm a complete rookie and trying to edit a template
for a 2 column header/footer css layout. :)

Dave

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
iamdave said:
I have a header image which I do realize i should cut up into sections
for load time. But my problem is that there is supposed to be black
around the image because I set the css to have a black background but
it's not showing.

http://the316band.com

But I obviously am making a mistake somewhere.

div#header{position:relative}
div#header h1{height:125px;line-height:80px;margin:0;
padding-left:10px;background: ##000000;color: #79B30B}
div#header a{position:absolute;right:0;top:23px}

I'm not sure I understand the difference between header and header h1
referenced above. I got the template code off a website and just
tinkered with it. If you see anything goofy let me know. The code is
as is only because I'm a complete rookie and trying to edit a template
for a 2 column header/footer css layout. :)

I will just comment on the black problem - there is too much
wrong with everything. Remove your background: ##000000; and use
only one hash.

rf

I have a header image which I do realize i should cut up into sections
for load time.

Cutting it up into sections will probably make it load slower.
But my problem is that there is supposed to be black
around the image because I set the css to have a black background but
it's not showing.
padding-left:10px;background: ##000000;color: #79B30B}

##000000 is not a colour.

iamdave

Ahhhhh! ##000000

A double #!?!?!?

LOL! What a goofy mistake! Wow am I embarrassed. Sorry folks.

"I will just comment on the black problem - there is too much wrong
with everything."

Well apparently I used a template that wasn't so swift. Is there a
better template for a 3 column header/footer I could use to edit as I
continue to learn the css craft and one day trade my white belt for a
yellow belt or purple belt...

The one I used was this one:
http://blog.html.it/layoutgala/LayoutGala13.html

Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Dave

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
iamdave said:
Ahhhhh! ##000000

A double #!?!?!?

LOL! What a goofy mistake! Wow am I embarrassed. Sorry folks.

"I will just comment on the black problem - there is too much wrong
with everything."

Well apparently I used a template that wasn't so swift. Is there a
better template for a 3 column header/footer I could use to edit as I
continue to learn the css craft and one day trade my white belt for a
yellow belt or purple belt...

The one I used was this one:
http://blog.html.it/layoutgala/LayoutGala13.html

Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Please quote what you are replying to at the top and put your own
reply underneath as not everyone here uses Google Groups and some
online readers do not show or even have histories of threads. At
least in this newsgroup, this is the accepted convention.

As for 3 col layouts, how about researching the archives of this
group and coming up with a small number that have been mentioned
favourably and which you fancy a bit.

Don't worry about goofy mistakes, they happen all the time and
you can get lucky with proof reading services on these ng if you
happen to hit folk with no real outside life of their own. <g>

owo.dod

<[email protected]
m>,

Please quote what you are replying to at the top and put your own
reply underneath as not everyone here uses Google Groups and some
online readers do not show or even have histories of threads. At
least in this newsgroup, this is the accepted convention.

As for 3 col layouts, how about researching the archives of this
group and coming up with a small number that have been mentioned
favourably and which you fancy a bit.

Don't worry about goofy mistakes, they happen all the time and
you can get lucky with proof reading services on these ng if you
happen to hit folk with no real outside life of their own. <g>

What are you and rk attending the same school morons university

iamdave

<[email protected]
m>,

I will just comment on the black problem - there is too much
wrong with everything. Remove your background: ##000000; and use
only one hash.

Are there issues with the html code or web site design that you are
referring to? I used a 3 column template I found. If I need to find a
better coded one that's fine but I'm just not sure which direction you
were speaking of with all the problems.

Dave

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
iamdave said:
Are there issues with the html code or web site design that you are
referring to? I used a 3 column template I found. If I need to find a
better coded one that's fine but I'm just not sure which direction you
were speaking of with all the problems.

If you would fix up all the things the W3C validators say are
errors, I and others for sure would be happy to take a look. The
fauts may be from your template or from things you ahave added?
For example:

a{display:color: #006}

iamdave

<[email protected]
m>,

If you would fix up all the things the W3C validators say are
errors, I and others for sure would be happy to take a look. The
fauts may be from your template or from things you ahave added?
For example:

a{display:color: #006}

I searched through this group looking for 3 column templates or
layouts and found this one:
http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/css-3col-layout/

Is this one of the more accepted coded layouts I might try and use?

Dave

dorayme

You could use it as an exercise and modify it according to some
of the things that you can learn here if you stick around. Like
not setting font font sizes in pts, not setting main text to be
less than 100% and a few other things...
Try Toby Inkster's template:
http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col-new.strict

Stay with HTML 4.01 Strict as well.

If you just want to go ahead and make a web page and it be
competent without you changing anything much but the content, you
won't go far wrong with this advice from Beauregard.

Ed

Try Toby Inkster's template:
http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col-new.strict

Stay with HTML 4.01 Strict as well.

Thanks for providing the link. But I appear to have problems when
displaying the page.

I find that when I connect to Toby's template, it causes my Internet
Explorer (version 6) to freeze and stop responding.

In Firefox (version 1.5.0.12), the bottom parts of the left and right
hands columns (below where the text ends) appear to be constantly
refreshing every 5 seconds or so even when I don't resize the browser
window.

Any ideas what might be happening here and how I could resolve these
issues?

Regards,
Ed

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ed said:
Thanks for providing the link. But I appear to have problems when
displaying the page.

I find that when I connect to Toby's template, it causes my Internet
Explorer (version 6) to freeze and stop responding.

Ah. I see that as well. (Had to fire up the Winbox.) It's the
JavaScript, as the page works fine in IE(6) with JavaScript disabled.
In Firefox (version 1.5.0.12), the bottom parts of the left and right
hands columns (below where the text ends) appear to be constantly
refreshing every 5 seconds or so even when I don't resize the browser
window.

Yes, that too, and again caused by the JavaScript.

It works as expected with Opera (9.25).
Any ideas what might be happening here and how I could resolve these
issues?

Hopefully, Toby will see this thread and chime in with answers - or
maybe even a version 3 without the problems. He may want to clarify
"Full support: .. Internet Explorer 5+ (Win)" :)

iamdave

You could use it as an exercise and modify it according to some
of the things that you can learn here if you stick around. Like
not setting font font sizes in pts, not setting main text to be
less than 100% and a few other things...

If you just want to go ahead and make a web page and it be
competent without you changing anything much but the content, you
won't go far wrong with this advice from Beauregard.

Thanks folks. I plugged that site into the validator and it just came
up with one error:

Line 172, Column 30: document type does not allow element "SCRIPT"
here.

<script type="text/javascript">

✉

The element named above was found in a context where it is not
allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements --
such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside
"head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML
documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this
error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's "self-
closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a HTML
document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head" section
and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and "meta" are
not allowed; hence the reported error).

Is this anything that could be fixed or is it nothing to worry about?
I'll use this template you all suggested and will also begin learning
more about the css etc. so that I understand more about what I'm
using. I certainly appreciate the help I've received. Thank you! :)

Dave