Background help please

BORG

How can I make a picture used as the background only show the once and
not tile, its not a small picture but it still tiles a bit on my
screen. I would like it to resize to suit the browser size its being
seen on

TIA

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

BORG

David Graham

BORG said:
well that didn't work i typed

BODY {
background: white url("christonthecross2.jpg");
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: center;
}

and now nothing on the page displays

I don't know, but you have mixed the short-hand method of using background
with the long way of doing things. Try
BODY {
background: white url("christonthecross2.jpg") no-repeat center center;
}

I repeated center value so it ends up in the centre of the screen

HTH

David

Jukka K. Korpela

David Graham said:
I don't know, but you have mixed the short-hand method of using
background with the long way of doing things.

Maybe mixed, in a sense, but there's nothing wrong with using first a
shorthand, then specific properties - as long as you know what you're
doing.

Regarding the OP's problem, we need the URL to see where he actually
put it and what the whole context is. Surely if text color is set to
white and the image is not available, white on white shall it be (in
most most browsing situations).

BORG

problem solved. it didn't say on the web page it had to be in

I just put it in the code

<!--
body {
background-color: #000000;
background-image: url(christonthecross2.jpg);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: center;
color: #FFFFFF;
line-height: normal;