Background image disappearing

Nik Coughlin

Hi,

I have this page that I am working on about 3 column layouts with rounded
corners, alpha etc.

http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/

It's unfinished, but while testing I've noticed something strange. I have
taken some screenshots to illustrate this:

http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/problem/

The page looks like I expect it to under IE, Opera and Firefox (6/7,
8.54/9b, 1.5) *locally*.

Just in Firefox though, something weird happens. If I minimise and then
restore Firefox while on the local copy of the page, all the parts of the
page that have a png with alpha transparency become darker except for the
png which is the background for the right-hand side of boxes, which looks
normal.

Now, if I upload the exact directory structure to my website and view it
with *any* browser, the right-hand background mentioned above is missing
entirely.

Is it just me or does it look like that to everyone else too?

Big WTF!

First, what's this weird thing that FF is doing? Something to do with the
gamma in the png or something? Weird.

Second, what's different about the right-hand background? It doesn't
trigger the gamma-bug thing mentioned above in FF and you can't see the
background at all in any browser.

dorayme

Nik Coughlin said:
That's not nice. I'll have to come back to that one. Do you also see the
missing background image on the last two examples? It happens in *every*
browser so it has to be my fault :p

Yes, there are missing bgs at various points...

Blinky the Shark

Nik said:
[...]

I don't see missing bg image or darkening, but I do see this:

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/nik1.jpg

FF 1.5.0.1 / Linux

And pretty much the same thing with Konqueror 3.4.2, except that fine
horizontal line above the first line of that panel is not there.

Nik Coughlin

Nik said:
Hi,

I have this page that I am working on about 3 column layouts with
rounded corners, alpha etc.

http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/

It's unfinished, but while testing I've noticed something strange. I
have taken some screenshots to illustrate this:

http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/problem/

Just in Firefox though, something weird happens. If I minimise and
then restore Firefox while on the local copy of the page, all the
parts of the page that have a png with alpha transparency become
darker except for the png which is the background for the right-hand
side of boxes, which looks normal.

Now, if I upload the exact directory structure to my website and view
it with *any* browser, the right-hand background mentioned above is
missing entirely.

OK, the missing background... that was just dumb. I'd mistyped the file
name in the CSS file as image1r.png instead of Image1r.png. My local
system, case insensitive, my webserver, case sensitive. That should have
been the first thing I thought of, damn fool :p

Now I have to get rid of those little 1px gaps, and if possible figure out
WTF is up with Firefox changing the gamma of my PNGs when I alt-tab or
minimise/maximise the window.

Nik Coughlin

Blinky said:
*snip*

I don't see missing bg image or darkening, but I do see this:

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/nik1.jpg

Yep, supposed to do that, it's illustrating why a particular layout
technique doesn't work :)
FF 1.5.0.1 / Linux

And pretty much the same thing with Konqueror 3.4.2, except that fine
horizontal line above the first line of that panel is not there.

I fixed the issues I was having so I'm getting on to the fine line that
appears in a couple of browsers now.

Nik Coughlin

Nik said:
Hi,

I have this page that I am working on about 3 column layouts with
rounded corners, alpha etc.

http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/

It's unfinished, but while testing I've noticed something strange. I
have taken some screenshots to illustrate this:

http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/problem/
*snip*

I already posted to say that I had a typo in my CSS, case sensitivity was
why the bg image wasn't displaying.

As to the gamma of pngs going all dark sometimes when I switched away from
Firefox to another app and then back, I fixed that just by stripping all of
the gamma information out of the pngs using pngcrush -rem gAMA.

Now just that fine line to fix.

dorayme

Nik Coughlin said:
OK, the missing background... that was just dumb. I'd mistyped the file
name in the CSS file as image1r.png instead of Image1r.png. My local
system, case insensitive, my webserver, case sensitive. That should have
been the first thing I thought of, damn fool :p

perhaps you need to check again to see the whole page... in the
middle of the page is still a missing bg... in Safari at least...
If you can't see or are not sure where, come back again and I
will detail more

Nik Coughlin

dorayme said:
perhaps you need to check again to see the whole page... in the
middle of the page is still a missing bg... in Safari at least...
If you can't see or are not sure where, come back again and I
will detail more

Hi, one of the layout techiques listed on that page fails under certain
circumstances and there is a demonstration of it failing on the page, so one
of them is *supposed* to look broken, is it the one directly above "Using a
table to automatically grow the columns"?

Thanks!

dorayme

Nik Coughlin said:
Hi, one of the layout techiques listed on that page fails under certain
circumstances and there is a demonstration of it failing on the page, so one
of them is *supposed* to look broken, is it the one directly above "Using a
table to automatically grow the columns"?

Yes, you are right... as usual, I was not paying full
attention... now your lines only to be fixed eh....

Nik Coughlin

dorayme said:
*snip*
Yes, you are right... as usual, I was not paying full
attention... now your lines only to be fixed eh....

Yeah bastard lines. Not too bothered, have had that before and fixed it.
Something to do with line-height I believe. Will have to dig up some old
projects.

dorayme

Nik Coughlin said:
Yeah bastard lines. Not too bothered, have had that before and fixed it.
Something to do with line-height I believe. Will have to dig up some old
projects.

Look, I must say, Nik... it is not too bad an exercise... if I
ever want rounded corners - or indeed other sorts of corners - I
will take a bigger look at what you are doing. I get the general
idea though...

(I would drop all to study corners that leave the 2 dimensions
and enter some third or even fourth one...)