Background image in toplevel

Howard Lightstone

Is there any way to display a photoimage background in a toplevel/frame?

I tried replacing my topmost widget with a canvas but the ripple effects on
placement and other widgets got too high.

Is there some way to specify a transparent background on a frame? Then I
could overlay a (tranparent) canvas window over the photoimage on the basic
canvas but leave a frame widget (in the window) for position, placement,
etc.

Gary Herron

Is there any way to display a photoimage background in a toplevel/frame?

I tried replacing my topmost widget with a canvas but the ripple effects on
placement and other widgets got too high.

Is there some way to specify a transparent background on a frame? Then I
could overlay a (tranparent) canvas window over the photoimage on the basic
canvas but leave a frame widget (in the window) for position, placement,
etc.

Python has a binding to *many* different GUI libraries. I'd guess you
are asking about Tkinter, but you really ought to tell us that right
up front.

On top of that, I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish or
what you mean by a "ripple effect". If you can be much more specific
abour the GUI and problem, I (and probably others) will try to help.

Gary Herron

Mark Hahn

I tried to do this in wxPython and gave up. I found that windows,
canvasses, and frames could have transparent backgrounds, but any control
like a text editor, couldn't. I think it is fundamental and that GUIs
assume controls have opaque backgrounds.