Background Image Question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Chuck, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    I am using css and have a question about the background.

    The page in question is located at http://www.geocities.com/nascarchuck8/
    ( I know... GC crap)

    Here is the background line in my css file:

    BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') fixed; }

    I made the background in Photoshop. What I would like is to set the image
    where the checkers on the right side are gone. In other words, I would like
    1 set of checkers on the left, then the gray to the right without the other
    checkers.

    I would also like to tile the image to the bottom of the page.

    Is this improper HTML or is this a Photoshop problem? If it is HTML, can
    someone give me a hand or point me in the right direction?

    Thanks in advance...

    Chuck

    ---
    Chuck, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Chuck

    oo- Guest

    "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    > I am using css and have a question about the background.
    >
    > The page in question is located at http://www.geocities.com/nascarchuck8/
    > ( I know... GC crap)
    >
    > Here is the background line in my css file:
    >

    > BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') fixed; }
    >
    > <snip />

    you're so nearly there try

    BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') repeat-y fixed; }

    with this code you can actually make the image smaller as less of it is
    needed.

    hope that helps

    Phil
    http://www.doubleonegative.com/
    oo-, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    "oo-" <> wrote in message

    > "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    > > I am using css and have a question about the background.
    > >
    > > The page in question is located at

    http://www.geocities.com/nascarchuck8/
    > > ( I know... GC crap)
    > >
    > > Here is the background line in my css file:
    > >

    > > BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') fixed; }
    > >
    > > <snip />

    > you're so nearly there try
    >
    > BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') repeat-y fixed; }
    >
    > with this code you can actually make the image smaller as less of it is
    > needed.
    >

    > hope that helps

    Well...

    That got rid of the 2nd set of checkers, but... now the area where the 2nd
    set of checkers was located is now all white background.

    I went in and set the background color to #ECECEC which is the same shade of
    gray as the image, but I am sure that's not the proper way to fix the
    problem.

    Also, by doing this, the image is still only the original height (?). On my
    monitor, it only covers about 1/4 of the screen instead of the whole screen.

    Do I need to go in and set image size on the background?

    Thanks again...

    Chuck

    ---
    Chuck, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Chuck

    oo- Guest

    "Chuck" <> wrote in message

    > "oo-" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    > > > I am using css and have a question about the background.
    > > >
    > > > The page in question is located at

    > http://www.geocities.com/nascarchuck8/
    > > > ( I know... GC crap)
    > > >
    > > > Here is the background line in my css file:
    > > >

    > > > BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') fixed; }
    > > >
    > > > <snip />

    > > you're so nearly there try
    > >
    > > BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') repeat-y fixed; }
    > >
    > > with this code you can actually make the image smaller as less of it is
    > > needed.
    > >

    > > hope that helps

    > Well...
    >
    > That got rid of the 2nd set of checkers, but... now the area where the 2nd
    > set of checkers was located is now all white background.
    >
    > I went in and set the background color to #ECECEC which is the same shade

    of
    > gray as the image, but I am sure that's not the proper way to fix the
    > problem.

    no thats right if you want the background to be that color then set it to
    that color.

    > Also, by doing this, the image is still only the original height (?). On

    my
    > monitor, it only covers about 1/4 of the screen instead of the whole

    screen.

    > Do I need to go in and set image size on the background?

    it may help to set the height (or min-height) of the body e.g.
    body{
    height: 100%;
    background: #ECECEC url('checkback.jpg') repeat-y fixed;
    }
    oo-, Aug 11, 2004
  5. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Re: Background Image Question ** Problem Solved! **

    Hey Phil...

    Fixed the problem...

    I screwed up when saving the image in Photoshop. I forgot to crop the image
    properly. :(

    Your advice on "repeat-y" helped though...

    Thanks again...

    Chuck

    ---
    Chuck, Aug 11, 2004