Backup, synchronization and publishing

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Ale, Aug 2, 2005.

  1. Ale

    Ale Guest

    Hi,
    I have some websites based on asp. Till now I always downloaded the
    database "manually" every weeks just to backup.

    However, at the moment I have too many websites and update I am continuously
    uploading/downloading.

    I never used any software for publishing, well... it is a long time that I
    make website (not professionally), therefore as some programmers I continue
    to make thinks in the prehistoric way ;P
    I have to say that I remember a colleague of mine working with Dreamweaver
    and we had the problem of the automatic managing of dreamweaver of links and
    extension.

    What I need is a software that allows me to synchronize the local copy of
    the website with the online one, including all the files (pdf, mdb, swf,
    etc...).
    No managing of html code or links, just "simple" synchronization.

    Sometimes I need just to backup... other times I need to upload the
    update...

    Which software do you suggest? Which non-free / freeware solutions should I
    check?

    Thanks,
    Ale
    Ale, Aug 2, 2005

  2. Ale wrote:

    > What I need is a software that allows me to synchronize the local copy of
    > the website with the online one, including all the files (pdf, mdb, swf,
    > etc...).
    > No managing of html code or links, just "simple" synchronization.

    > Sometimes I need just to backup... other times I need to upload the
    > update...
    >
    > Which software do you suggest?

    Rsync.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Aug 2, 2005

  3. Ale

    Ale Guest

    I forgot to mention... I have both clients and server with windows... I read
    that rsync could give some problem.
    I guess it is a matter of configuration... but I guess there is something
    specific for win.

    If it is not freeware, but highly racomanded, I could spend some money. It
    is better being safe :)

    Thanks
    Ale, Aug 3, 2005