backup via ftp, depth copy, script already out there?

werwer

Is there a Net::FTP script already out there which does an in depth
copy from
a given point in a directory structure and copies and recreates the
directory
structure where the files are saved?

werwer

werwer said:
Is there a Net::FTP script already out there which does an in depth
copy from
a given point in a directory structure and copies and recreates the
directory
structure where the files are saved?

I should add that the perl script will run from the backup site; going
out
and collecting files to be stored.

J. Gleixner

werwer said:
I should add that the perl script will run from the backup site; going
out and collecting files to be stored.

Not a perl solution, but 'rsync' works well, otherwise 'tar' the files,
maybe compress it, FTP it, and untar/uncompress it. What issues are you
having?

Post what you've tried or search for a similar solution on the Internet.

werwer

We can't count on IT to backup properly. We need to copy our work to
our local
Win box drives to INSURE we don't loose work. It it isn't written in
COBAL, it
seems, it aint worth backing up. :)

werwer

I'm not up on TAR, but great idea!
We could remote that command, check for completed, then just copy
the tar file. Hey, that's it! Thanks.

Tintin

werwer said:
We can't count on IT to backup properly. We need to copy our work to
our local
Win box drives to INSURE we don't loose work. It it isn't written in
COBAL, it
seems, it aint worth backing up. :)

rsync is a *very* suitable solution to this.

Joe Smith

J. Gleixner said:
Not a perl solution, but 'rsync' works well.

If the backup process is allowed to run from the server with files,
you've got more options. For instance, on my Windows XP Home machine
I have installed cygwin (including running cron as a service).
Then I have a cron job, running under cygwin on Windows, that executes
'rsync' to copy files from Windows to Linux.

Another option is to set up an rsync server to run as a Windows service.
-Joe