    O. Wyss

    --
    Cross-platform applications: http://wyoguide.sf.net/index.php

    Otto Wyss, Feb 15, 2007

  2. Otto Wyss

    Randy Webb Guest

    Otto Wyss said the following on 2/14/2007 10:19 PM:
    > I guess moving backward/forward through history is done only in the
    > browser without communicating with the server. Is that right?

    Yes.

    > Yet when I change a cookie and use history.back() what value does the
    > cookie have afterwards?

    alert it and see.

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    Randy Webb, Feb 15, 2007

  3. Otto Wyss

    Evertjan. Guest

    Randy Webb wrote on 15 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > Otto Wyss said the following on 2/14/2007 10:19 PM:
    >> I guess moving backward/forward through history is done only in the
    >> browser without communicating with the server. Is that right?

    > Yes.

    Not in the sense that if the page is set not to reuse the cashed version,
    or if the cashe is emptied,
    the page is reloaded from the server.

    >> Yet when I change a cookie and use history.back() what value does the
    >> cookie have afterwards?

    > alert it and see.

    Shall we hear the result, Otto?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 15, 2007
  4. Otto Wyss

    Randy Webb Guest

    Evertjan. said the following on 2/15/2007 4:23 AM:
    > Randy Webb wrote on 15 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >
    >> Otto Wyss said the following on 2/14/2007 10:19 PM:
    >>> I guess moving backward/forward through history is done only in the
    >>> browser without communicating with the server. Is that right?

    >> Yes.

    > Not in the sense that if the page is set not to reuse the cashed version,

    And assuming the browser honors that header.

    > or if the cashe is emptied,

    Now that is true.

    Randy Webb, Feb 15, 2007
  5. Otto Wyss

    Otto Wyss Guest

    Evertjan. wrote:
    > Randy Webb wrote on 15 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >
    >> Otto Wyss said the following on 2/14/2007 10:19 PM:
    >>> I guess moving backward/forward through history is done only in the
    >>> browser without communicating with the server. Is that right?

    >> Yes.

    > Not in the sense that if the page is set not to reuse the cashed version,
    > or if the cashe is emptied,
    > the page is reloaded from the server.

    or unless I use reload(true)?

    >>> Yet when I change a cookie and use history.back() what value does the
    >>> cookie have afterwards?

    >> alert it and see.

    > Shall we hear the result, Otto?

    Sure, as soon as I've figured out how to code accessing cookies. Any
    nice sample code?

    O. Wyss
    --
    Cross-platform applications:
    http://wyoguide.sf.net/index.php?page=projectlist.php

    Otto Wyss, Feb 15, 2007
  6. Otto Wyss

    Randy Webb Guest

    Otto Wyss said the following on 2/15/2007 3:53 PM:
    > Evertjan. wrote:
    >>> alert it and see.

    >> Shall we hear the result, Otto?
    >>

    > Sure, as soon as I've figured out how to code accessing cookies. Any
    > nice sample code?

    While the question there is how to test if a browser accepts cookies or
    not, the URL References are a good start on learning cookies.

    Randy Webb, Feb 15, 2007
  7. Otto Wyss

    Otto Wyss Guest

    Otto Wyss wrote:
    > Sure, as soon as I've figured out how to code accessing cookies. Any
    > nice sample code?

    Okay here is what I've found out. The cookie isn't changed as long as no
    code to change the cookie is used. E.g. if a cookie is set in an
    "onchange" handler the value stays the same when moving through the
    history. But if the cookie is set in the body its value is changed.

    O. Wyss

    Otto Wyss, Feb 20, 2007