bad character error that I can't make sense of

Discussion in 'XML' started by lawrence, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. lawrence

    lawrence Guest

    I'm a bit new to XML. I want to get data out of my database and wrap
    it in the database field names and let other pieces of software
    process it as XML. I'm at a very early stage of this process. I get a
    lot of error messages that I don't understand. Below you'll see the
    error that IE prints out. Beneath that you'll see the entry that's
    getting the error. Something about characters but I can't figure out
    what. Am I suppose to escape something?

    The page starts:

    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?>

    And all the items are wrapped in this channel tag:

    <channel>

    &The XML page cannot be displayed
    Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error
    and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    A semi colon character was expected. Error processing resource
    'http://publicpen.com/andrew/rss/exports.xml'. Line 378, Position 41

    <cbModifier03>pageId=1&pageEventStart[]=putCommentInDs</cbModifier03>
    ----------------------------------------^

    <item>
    <cbId>5</cbId>
    <cbHeadline></cbHeadline>
    <cbMainContent></cbMainContent>
    <cbDateCreated>1084385419</cbDateCreated>
    <cbWhichType>siteVisitationLog</cbWhichType>
    <cbUserName>andrew</cbUserName>
    <cbPassword></cbPassword>
    <cbIsLoggedIn></cbIsLoggedIn>
    <cbDatesModified></cbDatesModified>
    <cbLastModified>1084385419</cbLastModified>
    <cbDatesWhenViewed></cbDatesWhenViewed>
    <cbLinksToWhatUrl></cbLinksToWhatUrl>
    <cbOOA></cbOOA>
    <cbSection></cbSection>
    <cbKeywords></cbKeywords>
    <cbBelongsToWhichWebsite>.andrew.com</cbBelongsToWhichWebsite>
    <cbBelongsToWhichPage></cbBelongsToWhichPage>
    <cbUserSecurityLevel>basic</cbUserSecurityLevel>
    <cbNavTextDifFromHeadline></cbNavTextDifFromHeadline>
    <cbNavText></cbNavText>
    <cbNavOOA>0</cbNavOOA>
    <cbNavSection>0</cbNavSection>
    <cbTemplate></cbTemplate>
    <cbSpecialOverrideCSSClass></cbSpecialOverrideCSSClass>
    <cbExpirationDate>0</cbExpirationDate>
    <cbModifier01>http://www.publicpen.com/andrew/index.php</cbModifier01>
    <cbModifier02>24.125.40.102</cbModifier02>
    <cbModifier03>pageId=1&pageEventStart[]=putCommentInDs</cbModifier03>
    <cbModifier04>www.publicpen.com</cbModifier04>
    <cbModifier05>Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 98;
    DigExt)</cbModifier05>
    <cbModifier06></cbModifier06>
    <cbModifier07></cbModifier07>
    <cbModifier08></cbModifier08>
    <cbModifier09></cbModifier09>
    <cbModifier10></cbModifier10>
    <cbModifier11></cbModifier11>
    <cbModifier12></cbModifier12>
    <cbModifier13></cbModifier13>
    <cbModifier14></cbModifier14>
    <cbModifier15></cbModifier15>
    <cbModifier16></cbModifier16>
    <cbModifier17></cbModifier17>
    <cbModifier18></cbModifier18>
    <cbPublicName></cbPublicName>
    <cbEmail></cbEmail>
    <cbUrl></cbUrl>
    <cbWhenLoggedIn>0</cbWhenLoggedIn>
    <cbBelongsToWho>andrew</cbBelongsToWho>
    <cbNumTimesViewed>0</cbNumTimesViewed>
    <cbNumTimesViewedLast24>0</cbNumTimesViewedLast24>
    <cbNumTimesViewedLastWeek>0</cbNumTimesViewedLastWeek>
    <cbNumTimesViewedLastMonth>0</cbNumTimesViewedLastMonth>
    <cbIsFrontPage></cbIsFrontPage>
    <cbPagePassword>b9e4c3fc1f26c35adb8c25504d608b1c</cbPagePassword>
    <cbUserAddress></cbUserAddress>
    <cbModifier19></cbModifier19>
    <cbModifier20></cbModifier20>
    <cbModifier21></cbModifier21>
    <cbModifier22></cbModifier22>
    <cbModifier23></cbModifier23>
    <cbModifier24></cbModifier24>
    <cbStyle></cbStyle>
    <cbAllowComments>y</cbAllowComments>
    <cbIsRoughDraft></cbIsRoughDraft>
    <cbHowManyEntriesShouldWeListOnThisPage>40</cbHowManyEntriesShouldWeListOnThisPage>
    <cbModifier25></cbModifier25>
    <cbModifier26></cbModifier26>
    <cbModifier27></cbModifier27>
    <cbModifier28></cbModifier28>
    <cbModifier29></cbModifier29>
    <cbModifier30></cbModifier30>
    <cbModifier31></cbModifier31>
    <cbModifier32></cbModifier32>
    <cbModifier33></cbModifier33>
    <cbModifier34></cbModifier34>
    <cbModifier35></cbModifier35>
    <cbModifier36></cbModifier36>
    <cbIsDefault></cbIsDefault>
    <cbModifier37>0</cbModifier37>
    <cbModifier38>0</cbModifier38>
    <cbStartDate>0</cbStartDate>
    <cbEndDate>0</cbEndDate>
    <cbBelongsToMasterPage>0</cbBelongsToMasterPage>
    <cbBelongsToTopLevelMasterPage>0</cbBelongsToTopLevelMasterPage>
    </item>

    lawrence, Jun 2, 2004

  2. * lawrence wrote in comp.text.xml:
    >&The XML page cannot be displayed
    >Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error
    >and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    >A semi colon character was expected. Error processing resource
    >'http://publicpen.com/andrew/rss/exports.xml'. Line 378, Position 41
    >
    > <cbModifier03>pageId=1&pageEventStart[]=putCommentInDs</cbModifier03>

    You must escape ampersands in text as &amp, i.e. that should be

    <cbModifier03>pageId=1&amp;pageEventStart[]=putCommentInDs</cbModifier03>

    Bjoern Hoehrmann, Jun 2, 2004