Bad Request <OR> Illegal characters in path

nexdeveloper

Here is my issue:

1) This is an ASP.NET 1.1 website hosted on Windows2003 Server
2) SP1 for .NET 1.1 is installed
3) I have the .gif extension mapped in IIS to the 1.1 aspnet_isapi.dll
4) I have an httphandler configured for the website:
<add verb="*" path="*.gif" type="myNamespace.myHandler,myHandler"/>

When I make this request:
http://mydomain.com/*+,).! (/image.gif

I get an error:
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request - Bad Request

I then added a registry key as described here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826437

When that registry key exists the error changes to:
HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error - Illegal characters in path

Is there any way to remove the HasIllegalCharacters check so that my handler
can receive the request?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello,

From your description, you're using custom ASP.NET handler to intercept the
gif extension requests, however, you found those urls with the following
like patter will result to 400 bad request error and you still got problem
even after applied the KB reference's solution ,correct?

Regarding on this issue, I've viewed that kb article and it does describes
the problem you meet. Actually, the problem should be raised by the
following particular characters which are by default not allowed in URL
path(not querystring):

* , %, :

Based on my research on some former issues, some one mentioned that an URL
Validator module of ASP.NET may perform validation against the url path. I
suggest you check whether your server has ever been installed this
validator module.

#ASP.NET ValidatePath Module Scanner
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=be7366f5-82a1-444f-
9ebc-d70b6c8830dd&DisplayLang=en

In addition, to make the problem more concentrated, you may test it over
some other server machines. If the problem remains, you'd better directly
contact the CSS on this issue as the problem has been definitely documented
in the KB article:

If there is any other findings, welcome to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.