Bah, still having trouble (CSS)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by bjg, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. bjg

    bjg Guest

    Well, i've nearly finished. There's still a few problems I need to work
    out and make sure it's all compatible. The main one here is that in IE,
    the table displaying the hosting plans on the front page is miles down the
    page, but in Mozilla, Firebird and Opera, it's where it's meant to be.
    Anyway here it is, it's the site i'm doing for my mate's business:

    http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html

    I don't have a copy of IE handy, but was able to view it on a Windows
    machine tonight and noticed the table is not where I need it to be.
    The browsers I mentioned earlier display it fine.

    Anyone got any workarounds for this? The CSS files are shocking i
    know, but i will fix it all up later.

    Also, what are people's thoughts on the site? Is it any good or not
    professional enough? I know i've only uploaded one page, but you get the
    general gist of the site. It's my first attempt at taking the plunge into
    XHTML/CSS no-tables zone.
     
    bjg, Dec 13, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. bjg

    bjg Guest

    bjg, Dec 14, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. bjg

    ft Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 02:23:07 +1000, bjg <>
    wrote:

    >Well, i've nearly finished. There's still a few problems I need to work
    >out and make sure it's all compatible. The main one here is that in IE,
    >the table displaying the hosting plans on the front page is miles down the
    >page, but in Mozilla, Firebird and Opera, it's where it's meant to be.
    >Anyway here it is, it's the site i'm doing for my mate's business:
    >
    >http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html
    >

    Hmm....dunno but, how 'bout wrapping the Table in a <div
    class="tableloc">, where the "tableclass" CSS is:
    ..tableloc {
    position: absolute; top: 390px; left: 260px;
    }
    Something like that.
     
    ft, Dec 14, 2003
    #3
  4. bjg

    bjg Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:32:50 -0500, ft wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 02:23:07 +1000, bjg <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Well, i've nearly finished. There's still a few problems I need to work
    >>out and make sure it's all compatible. The main one here is that in IE,
    >>the table displaying the hosting plans on the front page is miles down the
    >>page, but in Mozilla, Firebird and Opera, it's where it's meant to be.
    >>Anyway here it is, it's the site i'm doing for my mate's business:
    >>
    >>http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html
    >>

    > Hmm....dunno but, how 'bout wrapping the Table in a <div
    > class="tableloc">, where the "tableclass" CSS is:
    > .tableloc {
    > position: absolute; top: 390px; left: 260px;
    > }
    > Something like that.


    Hmm, doesn't seem to work. The problem seems to lie with the
    'width="100%"' in the table tag. If i remove that, the table is where it's
    meant to be, vertically aligned up the top. But as soon as i add the
    width it drops to the bottom. Bloody pain! Anymore ideas?

    Cheers
     
    bjg, Dec 14, 2003
    #4
  5. bjg wrote:

    > Hmm, doesn't seem to work. The problem seems to lie with the
    > 'width="100%"' in the table tag. If i remove that, the table is where it's
    > meant to be, vertically aligned up the top. But as soon as i add the
    > width it drops to the bottom. Bloody pain! Anymore ideas?


    Tried 'width="99%"'?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132
     
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 14, 2003
    #5
  6. bjg

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:p>
    bjg said:

    > http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html


    the logo looks too cheap and nasty. i think it would improve a great
    deal with better anti-aliasing. i especially don't like the style of the
    F. it needs to be "heavier" to reflect the nature of a forge.

    --
    brucie
    14/December/2003 06:59:57 pm kilo
     
    brucie, Dec 14, 2003
    #6
  7. bjg

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:brh9bn$3a7uc$-berlin.de>
    brucie said:

    >> http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html


    > the logo looks too cheap and nasty. i think it would improve a great
    > deal with better anti-aliasing. i especially don't like the style of the
    > F. it needs to be "heavier" to reflect the nature of a forge.


    and its way too big. you don't need a big logo. small enough to keep the
    prices "above the fold" would be good.

    --
    brucie
    14/December/2003 07:18:31 pm kilo
     
    brucie, Dec 14, 2003
    #7
  8. bjg

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:brha3m$38mmd$-berlin.de>
    brucie said:

    >>> http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html


    >> the logo looks too cheap and nasty. i think it would improve a great
    >> deal with better anti-aliasing. i especially don't like the style of the
    >> F. it needs to be "heavier" to reflect the nature of a forge.


    > and its way too big. you don't need a big logo. small enough to keep the
    > prices "above the fold" would be good.


    not sure about the color either. green just doesn't say "forge" to me.

    --
    brucie
    14/December/2003 07:22:03 pm kilo
     
    brucie, Dec 14, 2003
    #8
  9. bjg

    bjg Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:22:50 +1000, brucie wrote:

    > in post <news:brha3m$38mmd$-berlin.de>
    > brucie said:
    >
    >>>> http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html

    >
    >>> the logo looks too cheap and nasty. i think it would improve a great
    >>> deal with better anti-aliasing. i especially don't like the style of the
    >>> F. it needs to be "heavier" to reflect the nature of a forge.

    >
    >> and its way too big. you don't need a big logo. small enough to keep the
    >> prices "above the fold" would be good.

    >
    > not sure about the color either. green just doesn't say "forge" to me.


    Thanks for that. Just curious, what colours say "forge" to you? I actually
    didn't design the logo, got a friend to, and have designed the site around
    the logo and used that same colours as the logo. I was actually thinking
    dark greens and greys, but what do you think? I'm open for any criticism.

    Cheers
     
    bjg, Dec 14, 2003
    #9
  10. bjg

    bjg Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:49:42 +0000, Toby A Inkster wrote:

    > bjg wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm, doesn't seem to work. The problem seems to lie with the
    >> 'width="100%"' in the table tag. If i remove that, the table is where it's
    >> meant to be, vertically aligned up the top. But as soon as i add the
    >> width it drops to the bottom. Bloody pain! Anymore ideas?

    >
    > Tried 'width="99%"'?


    Cool, that worked.. but why does it do that? Is this a nifty CSS trick i
    should keep in mind, or is my code just bad?
     
    bjg, Dec 14, 2003
    #10
  11. bjg

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:p>
    bjg said:

    > Thanks for that. Just curious, what colours say "forge" to you?


    dark ones without being oppressive.

    > I was actually thinking dark greens and greys, but what do you think?


    dunno, the colors have to work in combination with the logo design to
    impart a sense of power/strength/durability. its a forge.

    > I'm open for any criticism.


    you have no dress sense and smell bad

    --
    brucie
    14/December/2003 11:12:05 pm kilo
     
    brucie, Dec 14, 2003
    #11
  12. bjg wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:49:42 +0000, Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> Tried 'width="99%"'?

    >
    > Cool, that worked.. but why does it do that? Is this a nifty CSS trick i
    > should keep in mind, or is my code just bad?


    MSIE sometimes has rounding errors and stuff, so you sometimes need to put
    slightly less width than you'd expect.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132
     
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 14, 2003
    #12
  13. bjg wrote:

    > Just curious, what colours say "forge" to you?


    Thinking of forging iron or something, I'd say blacks and greys punctuated
    with fire colours.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132
     
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 14, 2003
    #13
  14. bjg

    ft Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:40:45 +1000, bjg <>
    wrote:

    >Hmm, doesn't seem to work. The problem seems to lie with the
    >'width="100%"' in the table tag. If i remove that, the table is where it's
    >meant to be, vertically aligned up the top. But as soon as i add the
    >width it drops to the bottom. Bloody pain! Anymore ideas?


    I see you stated in other messages that using width="99%" has worked
    for you.
    Hmm...interesting. Could you update your webpage with this change and
    let me take a look at it?
    Thanks.
     
    ft, Dec 14, 2003
    #14
  15. Quoth the raven named Toby A Inkster:

    > bjg wrote:
    >
    >>Just curious, what colours say "forge" to you?

    >
    > Thinking of forging iron or something, I'd say blacks and greys punctuated
    > with fire colours.


    Exactly. A forge screams RED to me. <g>

    dictionary.com

    1. A furnace or hearth where metals are heated or wrought; a smithy.
    2. A workshop where pig iron is transformed into wrought iron.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 14, 2003
    #15
  16. bjg

    kchayka Guest

    bjg wrote:
    >
    > http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html


    Why aren't you using list markup for all those lists on the home page?
    They would look better and be a lot easier to style than those oodles of
    › Text<br />

    --
    To email a reply, remove (dash)un(dash). Mail sent to the un
    address is considered spam and automatically deleted.
     
    kchayka, Dec 14, 2003
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Steve

    Still having postback problems

    Steve, Jan 11, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    335
    Steve
    Jan 11, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

    Still having problems with session state

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=, May 6, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    381
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=
    May 7, 2004
  3. Steve Sobol
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    972
    Steve Sobol
    Sep 3, 2004
  4. Steve
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    1,005
    Steve
    Nov 18, 2005
  5. Guest

    Still having trouble with malloc

    Guest, Oct 6, 2003, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    367
    Barry Schwarz
    Oct 7, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page